The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1R II vs. Sony RX1...... Round one....FIGHT!

Lucille

1st up, the Sony RX1R II:

Sony RX1R II, 35mm Zeiss f/4, ISO100, 1/1000sec.

2nd up, the original cult classic:

Sony RX1, 35mm f/4, ISO100, 1/2000sec

Jim DE

1st up, the Sony RX1R II:

Lucille, I realize this is probably more a function of camera profile but I am seeing slightly more micro contrast on the original viewed on my iPhone 6plus. Not knowing what the colors were there at the time of the shot I would basically call it a jump ball between the two cameras as to which is better.

Sony RX1R II, 35mm Zeiss f/4, ISO100, 1/1000sec.

2nd up, the original cult classic:

Sony RX1, 35mm f/4, ISO100, 1/2000sec

Lucille

Round 2......FIGHT!

1st up RX1R II:

Sony RX1R II, 35mm f/4, ISO100, 1/1250sec.

2nd up RX1:

Sony RX1, 35mm f/4, ISO100, 1/2500sec.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
There seems to be a definite profile or processing difference with the rx1r II having greater shadow and highlight detail, assuming no other processing differences with the images. Ditto white balance is cooler in the second set of shots with the rx1r vs II.

Are these jpg or processed? I'm surprised by the exposure differences tbh.

Shutter speed in both original RX1R photos is double the speed of the RX1RII.

Should account for the difference in exposure given the same ISO and f-stop. Was there a reason why you shot at different shutter speeds?

GrahamWelland

The RX1 images had the shorter exposure but yet appear to have more contrast and hot in the highlights. The slower RX1r II images by comparison have better shadows yet also hold the highlights better hence my question about processing.

Lucille

There seems to be a definite profile or processing difference with the rx1r II having greater shadow and highlight detail, assuming no other processing differences with the images. Ditto white balance is cooler in the second set of shots with the rx1r vs II.

Are these jpg or processed? I'm surprised by the exposure differences tbh.

They are jpg.

Lucille

Shutter speed in both original RX1R photos is double the speed of the RX1RII.

Should account for the difference in exposure given the same ISO and f-stop. Was there a reason why you shot at different shutter speeds?

Just trying to get the exposure right in the LCD screen. I had the LCD screen on the Rx1 turned to 'Sunny Weather' so it fooled me into thinking the exposure was correct, upon looking at them on my monitor the Rx1 shots were under exposed.

Lucille

RX1R II

Sony RX1R II, 35mm f/2, ISO1600, 1/100sec.

RX1

Sony Rx1, 35mm f/2, ISO2000, 1/100sec.

Hep,

Since these are JPEG, just curious if the DR-O settings are the same on both cameras, as well as the picture profiles.

That last shot was a lot closer but the RX1RII image sure looked flatter (a good thing to my eyes) but wondering if the difference is just due to processing settings.

Otherwise, at web resolution there shouldn't be much to tell the two apart. The difference is really in the handling and the resolution.

Thanks for running this little test. Always fun to see the results and a pain to do them yourself, so thanks again!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Seems to me the 42mpx is handling the highlights better, shadows more open and technically it should but I also see th detail is better as well. Really this is how it should be as the 42 sensor has more DR and a bigger more detailed sensor. Now not saying the RX1 is getting slammed and actually it looks pretty darn good and if you don't need the MPX or DR extra abilities than the RX1 is not a bad choice at all and given the money spread used RX1 versus the new RXII a very good choice.

Now I have a question if you wanted the first version of the RX what should you be looking for as I'm confused on the updates to this model and others maybe as well as I remember this getting updated. Personally I would buy the new one but it's nice data to know.

Lucille

Now I have a question if you wanted the first version of the RX what should you be looking for as I'm confused on the updates to this model and others maybe as well as I remember this getting updated. Personally I would buy the new one but it's nice data to know.

I don't recall any updates of this camera other then the RX1R. I bought the RX1 within 2 months of it 1st coming out and they have never done a firmware update or anything that I recall.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Seems to me the 42mpx is handling the highlights better, shadows more open and technically it should but I also see th detail is better as well. Really this is how it should be as the 42 sensor has more DR and a bigger more detailed sensor. Now not saying the RX1 is getting slammed and actually it looks pretty darn good and if you don't need the MPX or DR extra abilities than the RX1 is not a bad choice at all and given the money spread used RX1 versus the new RXII a very good choice.

Guy,
RX1 was the original. RX1-R was released later with the same 24MP sensor and fantastic 35 f/2 lens. The RX1-R is virtually the same camera without an anti-aliasing filter on the sensor. I have added the optional EVF to my RX1-R and also the Monza grip. I take mine everywhere with me. As you can see from Lucille's comparison, it is a great little shooter to have with you all the time.

Attachments

Lucille

Hep,

Since these are JPEG, just curious if the DR-O settings are the same on both cameras, as well as the picture profiles.

That last shot was a lot closer but the RX1RII image sure looked flatter (a good thing to my eyes) but wondering if the difference is just due to processing settings.

Otherwise, at web resolution there shouldn't be much to tell the two apart. The difference is really in the handling and the resolution.

Thanks for running this little test. Always fun to see the results and a pain to do them yourself, so thanks again!

I am checking both cameras..... RX1R II DRO is on auto - picture profile is STD but all values are 0.

RX1 DRO is off, picture profile is STD but all values are 0.

I guess at some point years ago I turned off the DRO on the Rx1, I didn't think about this on the new RX1R II, it comes turned on (set to auto) from the Sony.

Lucille

Since i own the original RX1, i think you saved me 3k,:ROTFL:

The original Rx1 is such a GEM, this camera is tough to beat period.

This camera was so good I almost bought a 2nd body a year ago, as it was always a camera I wanted to have and I wanted a backup for it. Then came the upgrade from Sony and I gladly
took one from them and will probably do the same if a RX1R III comes to be.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Lucille, Since you have both cameras, would you have any interest in putting both cameras on manual with the same exposure and aperture and shooting both in RAW with the same scene?

Lucille

Lucille, Since you have both cameras, would you have any interest in putting both cameras on manual with the same exposure and aperture and shooting both in RAW with the same scene?

I always shoot manual, every camera I have. I use older versions of PS and it doesn't support the raws for the RX1R II.

GrahamWelland

I am checking both cameras..... RX1R II DRO is on auto - picture profile is STD but all values are 0.

RX1 DRO is off, picture profile is STD but all values are 0.

I guess at some point years ago I turned off the DRO on the Rx1, I didn't think about this on the new RX1R II, it comes turned on (set to auto) from the Sony.
This might well cover the shadow/highlight performance of the RX1R vs II. The DRO auto for jpg would be expected to open up the shadows and control the highlights a little better, just as we see in the II shots.

Lucille

This might well cover the shadow/highlight performance of the RX1R vs II. The DRO auto for jpg would be expected to open up the shadows and control the highlights a little better, just as we see in the II shots.

I am going to turn it off for the next set of shots.