The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1R II vs. Sony RX1...... Round one....FIGHT!

Lucille

1st up RX1R II

RX1R II, 35mm f/4, ISO100, 1/1600sec

2nd up RX1

RX1R, 35mm f/4, ISO100, 1/1600sec

Last edited:

dandrewk

The difference on my Retina monitor is pretty easy to see. The RX1rII image shows more DR and a bit more detail than the RX1r. I can see it without trying to enlarge the image on my monitor.

No surprises really, as we should expect more DR and detail on a higher resolution sensor.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Both really nice. What's a little surprising is color looks really close. Given two different sensors that's really good. So in essence the original could be paired with the A7rII as part of that system together. That's pretty cool

ecsh

I would tend to think the differences would be more dramatic if printing out at some size. This has always shown differences to me between different cameras and sensors.
On the web, not so much.

ohnri

Thanks for this great thread !

For me, faster AF would be the most important upgrade from my Rx1. I find it too limiting for many of the pictures I want.

-Bill

Lucille

Thanks for this great thread !

For me, faster AF would be the most important upgrade from my Rx1. I find it too limiting for many of the pictures I want.

-Bill

And that it does my friend. When I shot Big Sandy this camera grabbed focus and never hunted every single time, and that light was very dim and crappy.

ohnri

And that it does my friend. When I shot Big Sandy this camera grabbed focus and never hunted every single time, and that light was very dim and crappy.
I believe it is roughly equal to my A7r2, which is pretty dang good.

Nice to hear from someone that is using it for more than pictures of vegetation. I did a lot of pre-focusing with my Rx1 for photos with movement. Ultimately, that limits me compared to what you can achieve with the new model though.

Pretty sweet treat.

-Bill

Lucille

I believe it is roughly equal to my A7r2, which is pretty dang good.

Nice to hear from someone that is using it for more than pictures of vegetation. I did a lot of pre-focusing with my Rx1 for photos with movement. Ultimately, that limits me compared to what you can achieve with the new model though.

Pretty sweet treat.

-Bill

The RX1R II, as the original, inspires me to make imagery with a certain look to it. I will use the heck out of this camera.

I am currently testing its long exposure look and feel......

RX1R II, 35mm f/5.6, ISO50, 5sec.

seb

I'm wondering how the RX1R vs. RX1RII would be in low light... The contrast and details in the dark areas should be worse with the RX1R.
Thanks for the tests.

The RX1R II, as the original, inspires me to make imagery with a certain look to it. I will use the heck out of this camera.

I am currently testing its long exposure look and feel......

RX1R II, 35mm f/5.6, ISO50, 5sec.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
All these tests Lucille has done consistently shows the improvement in the 42mpx sensor outside the MPX that is. Great stuff

Glad to see her run all these tests . It's a lot of work, I know all to well about that.

B&H has them back in stock and so I placed my order for an RX1RII! :clap::cool::thumbs:

I also picked up a 3 stop ND for sunny days, and a screen protector. The fotodiox grip is already waiting at home. I'm going to use the hell out of this thing. I'll start with a mini-road trip this weekend and then next weekend I have an engagement shoot!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I caved... RX1RII arrived today! I blame you Lucille!:ROTFL:

Seriously, I loved the RX1R a lot, but when I heard about the square crop....that did it. I love to be square!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The crop modes are great. With the abundant resolution you can just set it and forget about the thoughts of any lost pixels. The crop is just fine with this camera!

Mine is permanently set to 4:3 as it matches my Phase One system and so I can just continue to compose and shoot consistently. I love the square format too.

Welcome to the club :thumbs:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
The crop modes are great. With the abundant resolution you can just set it and forget about the thoughts of any lost pixels. The crop is just fine with this camera!

Mine is permanently set to 4:3 as it matches my Phase One system and so I can just continue to compose and shoot consistently. I love the square format too.

Welcome to the club :thumbs:
Thank you.
I owe it to you (as well as Lucille), because I remembered your post about Pro Photo Supply and went back through the old posts looking for it.:thumbs:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Did you pick up the unused used RX1RII from Pro Photo Supply? If so, a great bunch of guys there, pretty much each with 20+ years of real photographic experience and not your normal Best Buy retail folks. I always try to buy my gear there as they are a real photo store, not a box shifter or low end dealer. Their used gear folks are especially knowledgeable and passionate and I'm always falling for their enthusiasm and buying film gear that's been gently loved but liberated. :thumbs::facesmack: