The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Close-up filters for Macro on Sony FE lenses

ggibson

I'm thinking about picking up a close-up macro filter for fun, and wondering about the different options. I've read that close-up lenses work best on longer focal lengths, so I was thinking of going with something that would fit either my Zeiss 55/1.8 or my new Batis 85/1.8. Has anyone else used any macro filters with these? Any advice to share?

Shac

I have both the lenses you mention and use Nikon 3/4T and 5/6T closeup lenses - these are achromatic (double elements). As you surmised the 3/4Ts work best with lenses from 85mm to 200mm, and 5/6Ts with lenses from 70mm to 210mm.
Image quality is quite acceptable but not flat-field

seb

I have a few cheap extension tubes, that I can combine to get the optimal distance for each FL.

Normaly I use them to push my my FE 90/2.8 macro from 1:1 to 2:1 (this spider is around 5mm big):

spiders see everything

But you can use them on any other lens too. Here a shot with the loxia 21/2.8 and 10mm extension tube (around 1:2 distance):

loxia 21/2.8 with extension tubes (10mm). Around 1:2 macro

I tried them also with the 55/1.8 but it doesnt work very well. The picture isn't sharp. I don't know why and didn't any further tests with it.
Other systems I never used until now.

The 90/2.8 is one of the best performing lens ever made, it's native, with lot of usefull stuff and it's an 1:1 macro. If you have the money, don't think about others, unless you want to use it in an artistic way. :)
All with the Sony FE 90/2.8 Macro and 1:1 or 2:1 Macro (most have full res on flickr, click it):

Spinne

Motte

small dice

ruler

testshot

testshot OOC

tiny tubes

ggibson

Thanks for the advice and examples. I considered the 90 macro, but personally the size and weight was a bit more than I wanted in my kit.

Actually, this kind of started because I'm looking at wet macro lenses for my underwater kit (and why I wasn't thinking about extension tubes as much). The one of the standard underwater filter sizes is 67mm, which is what the Batis 85 has also. So I was curious to see if people had tried out some close-up filters on that lens.

seb

That makes sense. :)
Sorry that I can't help you with the close up filters.

For the protocol: I tested the extension tubes with the 55/1.8 once more. It looks like it get worse the more CA the lens has. If you go up to f8 it looks quite good.

Shac

Re the 67 mm filter size of the Batis - I use a 67-72 Step-down ring with the Canon 500D achromatic (72mm) - works fine for me - YMMV