The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why is there an individual version of Capture One for Sony?

mandonbossi

I currently have a Sony A7RII and am looking to purchase Capture One, as I have heard it handles the Sony files very nicely...

Just wondering if anybody knew why there was an individual version for the Sony? And as far as I can tell, it can only be purchased outright?

Seems a bit annoying to me, as I also have a Canon and this way i would need to purchase a version and then rent another one...

Is this correct or am I totally missing something?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Annna T

I currently have a Sony A7RII and am looking to purchase Capture One, as I have heard it handles the Sony files very nicely...

Just wondering if anybody knew why there was an individual version for the Sony? And as far as I can tell, it can only be purchased outright?

Seems a bit annoying to me, as I also have a Canon and this way i would need to purchase a version and then rent another one...

Is this correct or am I totally missing something?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!
Sony has an accord with Phase One. Owners of the A7r2 get a free version of C1 Express (or what ever the light version is named).

If you want to upgrade either to the pro version (but only for Sony) or to the full pro version allowing you to deal with all the cameras they support, then you have to pay.

As far as I know, the only difference between the Sony version and the full version is that with the first you can only handle Sony pictures.

You can install the free Sony version and then see the different updates you are allowed and at which price from inside the software, once you are a registered user.

Start there :

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Software/Capture-One-for-Sony/Sony-Express.aspx

And upgrade info there :

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/Sony-upgrades.aspx

seb

The sony and the general version are identical with one difference. The sony version only support sony cameras, but is much cheaper then.

If you are using another software to convert your canon raws to tiff, you can import them to C1 Sony afterwards.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you are using another software to convert your canon raws to tiff, you can import them to C1 Sony afterwards.
Id recommend just getting the full C1 Pro version and using it for your canon and Sony files. You'll see immediate benefits vs Adobe Capture Raw or other converters in my experience. :thumbup: Compared to what you've paid for the cameras I've always found it worth it.

iiiNelson

I use C1P8, LRCC, PSCC, and DXO. Generally I prefer what's possible from LRCC+DXO but there are a lot of benefits to C1P as well like native tethering, IR processing (in conjunction with PSCC), and great conversions using one program. Can't go wrong with either of these choices and there's something to be said for workflow that clicks with you.

mandonbossi

Awesome! Thanks so much to everyone for responding, very helpful indeed!

So I was (wrongfully I think) under the impression that Sony cameras were not supported in Capture One Pro 9 (the one that offers a subscription and supports a whole variety of cameras) and that you were basically forced to buy a separate Sony edition...

Did not realise that you had the option of both... Is this correct?

A subscription makes sense to me so this is much more appealing :)

Thanks again!

The Express for Sony (NON Pro version) has no camera connection for tethering. So there is an important difference in that aspect.

photo570

Yes. With the full version you have no restriction in use and brands.
This is something that most people get confused by, and Phase don't really help themselves as they don't really explain it well, and it seems to change over time. At the moment is is thus.

There is only one version of C1 pro. There is one downloader and one DMG installer.

Where things differentiate is in the licence that governs what you can do.

The DB version is free, and will only work with Phase or Leaf medium format backs.

Various Express versions generally don't support tethering, and cost less than the Pro version.

Sony have obviously done a deal with Phase and have their own "versions" of both Express and Pro, at reduced cost.

Then the full Pro version has all features with all supported cameras, this is reflected in the licence fee.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Jason.

Annna T

This is something that most people get confused by, and Phase don't really help themselves as they don't really explain it well, and it seems to change over time. At the moment is is thus.

There is only one version of C1 pro. There is one downloader and one DMG installer.

Where things differentiate is in the licence that governs what you can do.

The DB version is free, and will only work with Phase or Leaf medium format backs.

Various Express versions generally don't support tethering, and cost less than the Pro version.

Sony have obviously done a deal with Phase and have their own "versions" of both Express and Pro, at reduced cost.

Then the full Pro version has all features with all supported cameras, this is reflected in the licence fee.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Jason.
I thought that the Sony Express version was free ?

Annna T

It is free and C1P-Sony is $30.
Thank you for your confirmation. That is what I thought and the mail just above mine was a little confusing, hence my question.

It is a good idea to start with the free version and from there get an update, even if you want the full pro version. I think it would cost less than ordering the full pro version from scratch.

iiiNelson

Thank you for your confirmation. That is what I thought and the mail just above mine was a little confusing, hence my question.

It is a good idea to start with the free version and from there get an update, even if you want the full pro version. I think it would cost less than ordering the full pro version from scratch.
Yeah it would almost make sense for me to go with the Sony version except I don't want to be tied to any one system for now although I usually only use C1P for tethered shooting these days. I prefer the output of LR+DXO Optics in most cases but the tethering ability for Sony is non-existent on LR natively.