The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony lens choices, what I have and how I got there…

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I got my A7rII late August and have spent some time and money on lenses since that, here is what I wanted and what I got…

Analysis of needs/wants:

• General purpose lens like 24-105/4, perfectly sharp and no aberrations
  • Wide angle zoom also f/4 very good
  • Short telephoto, sharp at full aperture and no axial chromatic aberration
  • Telephoto zoom, 70-400 mm, sharp at all focal length when stopped down to f/8
  • Preferably Canon mount lenses as they can be used with a HCam/Mirex/Kipon T&S adapter

What I have now:
  • Canon 24-105/4 as general purpose lens, decent but not truly great
  • Canon 16-35/4 as wide angle zoom. Better than the other lenses I own
  • Canon 24/3.5 TSE LII, this is my main T&S lens. Very useful, but my sample is not as sharp as my 16-35/4
  • Sony 90/2.8G Macro, quite OK. Probably not as good as the Batis 85/1.9
  • Sony 70-400/4-5.6G, this is an A-mount lens I have owned for a few years. Quiet OK.

Considerations for short telephoto lens:

What I wanted was really a highly corrected 85/2 lens. Foremost I wanted little axial chroma (the stuff that causes magenta/green fringing in out of focus areas). The Otus 85/1.4 would be perfect but it is large, heavy and expensive, being an f/1.4 lens. The Zeiss 135/2 APO was interesting, but I don't think 135 mm is my favourite focal length.

The Batis arrived and 85/1.9 was pretty perfect. I put an order on it, but also considered the Sony 90/2.8G.

After 2-3 months I still did not have a delivery date for the Batis, while the Sony 90/2.8G had some very positive reviews. So I cancelled the Batis and got the Sony. In afterthought I think the Batis would be sharper but the Sony 90/2.8G has full macro capability, a great bonus.

Considerations for general purpose lens:

This was a tough one. I have a Sony 24-70/2.8 ZA that does a decent service, but it is not great at all at the long end. Also, I wanted a Canon lens.

Alternatives were:
  • Canon 24-70/2.8LII: Great lens but I cannot afford it right now, doesn't go beyond 70 mm. Also, I have seen two bad samples…
  • Sigma 24-105/4 A: Not as good as the Canon lens, probably weak around 70 mm (?), 82 mm front diameter.
  • Canon 24-70/4: Nice lens, but seems to have significant focus shift from f/4 (where I focus) to f/8 (where I shoot)
  • Canon 24-105/4: Better than it's reputation. This is what I finally bought. Not as good as the 16-35/4 in the short and and far below the Sony 90/2.8G at the long end.
  • Contax 35-135/4 3.3/4.5. A zoom lens for the Contax RTS system, very good at long end.

Consideration for a wide angle zoom lens:

This was easy - Canon 16-35/4L, no competition.

Best regards
Erik

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I recently ordered a used Contax/Yashica 35-135/3.3-4.5 zoom, too. I have found that working with the Canon lenses on the HCam Master TSII is a bit cumbersome as you need a camera to stop down the lens. Also, the Canon 24-105/4L is not that great at the long end.

The MTF data for the Contax 35-135 is a mixed bag, lot of astigmatism (or lateral chroma) on the short end but very good curves at the long end.

Best regards
Erik

jlm

Workshop Member
My walk around lens lately is the 90mm f2.8 Zeus contax G with the autofocus techart adapter. Very sharp and the autofocus works fine

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I got my Contax/Yashica 35-135/3.3-4.5 Vario-Sonnar and did some quick check shots from the balcony.

It is a very neat lens, very smooth in operation. Front ring rotates. Regarding sharpness it's similar to the Canon 24-105/4L, doesn't blow off your socks but quite good.

I mainly intend it for using tilts to extend depth of field. Have been shooting a lot of alpine flowers and really want focus to stretch from flowers to background. I would think this lens may do a good job on that.

Best regards
Erik

Hi,

I recently ordered a used Contax/Yashica 35-135/3.3-4.5 zoom, too. I have found that working with the Canon lenses on the HCam Master TSII is a bit cumbersome as you need a camera to stop down the lens. Also, the Canon 24-105/4L is not that great at the long end.

The MTF data for the Contax 35-135 is a mixed bag, lot of astigmatism (or lateral chroma) on the short end but very good curves at the long end.

Best regards
Erik

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

First real world image using tilt on the Contax, around 60 mm and probably f/11 (may be f/16).

Full size image: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Shoots/TS_Stuff/20160411-_DSC4931.jpg
DNG file: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Shoots/TS_Stuff/20160411-_DSC4931.dng

Best regards
Erik

Hi,

I got my Contax/Yashica 35-135/3.3-4.5 Vario-Sonnar and did some quick check shots from the balcony.

It is a very neat lens, very smooth in operation. Front ring rotates. Regarding sharpness it's similar to the Canon 24-105/4L, doesn't blow off your socks but quite good.

I mainly intend it for using tilts to extend depth of field. Have been shooting a lot of alpine flowers and really want focus to stretch from flowers to background. I would think this lens may do a good job on that.

Best regards
Erik

dchew

Nice lens selection Erik. Mine is very different, and I think that variety of options is the real reason this camera system is so popular.

I wanted compact lenses, don't care about autofocus and in general migrate to primes. So:
  • Batis 25: this is the most recent addition. I wish it wasn't so big, but at least the 67mm filter threads match what I already carry. I still wish there was a rangefinder option in the 24-28mm FL that worked well with this camera. At least the Batis is light.
  • Sony FE 35 f/2.8: I tried the Loxia, and although I like the controls on the Loxia this 35 copy is actually sharper.
  • Leica 50 f/2 apo asph: fantastic lens and very small. If I didn't also have the Monochrom I would probably just use the FE 55, but I prefer manual focus anyway.
  • Leica apo 90 f/2: tiny and wonderful for an f/2 lens.
  • Leica R apo 180 f/2.8: This is where the 67mm threads come in.
It is flexible but of course no zooms so not fast and too limiting for most people. A much more reasonable solution, at least cost-wise would be the Batis, FE 35 and 55, then the Sony or Canon 70-200 f/4. Also no macro and no tilt. Your selections are considerably more versatile.

I leave behind the 180 and 35 if I'm going light. Then the whole thing can fit in a chest pouch.

Dave