The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RX1R II VF Question

stephengilbert

I tried the camera, and was disappointed in the viewfinder. After I'd adjusted the diopter setting to suit, closing and then reopening the VF caused it to "lose" the diopter setting, requiring it to be reset.

Has anyone seen this problem? Can it just be user error in some way?

I really liked the camera, but wouldn't want to have to adjust the VF every time I use it.

Thanks

dandrewk

I tried the camera, and was disappointed in the viewfinder. After I'd adjusted the diopter setting to suit, closing and then reopening the VF caused it to "lose" the diopter setting, requiring it to be reset.

Has anyone seen this problem? Can it just be user error in some way?

I really liked the camera, but wouldn't want to have to adjust the VF every time I use it.

Thanks
I can't say this has ever happened to my camera. That diopter is REAL hard to adjust, but thankfully I've only had to set mine once.

stephengilbert

"Real hard to adjust?"

I found the adjustment took some fiddling to get just right, but it moved very easily, perhaps too easily, causing it to move when retracted and reopened.

stephengilbert

Nothing more to add?

This "feature" caused me to return the camera, and I can't see getting another without some confidence that what I experienced was an abberation.

jim251

Nothing more to add?

This "feature" caused me to return the camera, and I can't see getting another without some confidence that what I experienced was an abberation.
Stephen - On your behalf, I just put my RX1m2 through a pop-up viewfinder torture test. I hadn't noticed any problems myself but thought I'd try to make it creep out of focus by repeated pops up/down with many adjustments as well. Mine seemed to hold the adjustments just fine. Although I'm sure some people leave the evf extended with the hood in place, I keep it retracted and use it only when conditions dictate. I agree that the adjustment is super tedious. Hope this helps but it's just one data point...

FWIW, my 1st camera was replaced by Sony in the light-leak deal. The new camera has a much smoother manual focusing ring action. I don't know what that might mean but thought I'd throw it out there...

Good luck deciding. Maybe worth 1 more try as it's a great camera...

dandrewk

Nothing more to add?

There's nothing more to add because, sorry to say, yours is the only one I've read or heard having this issue. I've popped my EVF up countless times and it has never lost the diopter setting.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Mine has gone up and down a lot and not lost the setting. I agree it was a little tricky getting it set right in the first place, but it only took once and has not changed.

stephengilbert

Thanks, all.

It sounds like the diopter slider on the camera I tried was too loose. It moved very easily when adjusting it, and must have moved when retracting and then reopening.