Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I believe that PCB uses IGBT in its Einstein line. In either case HSS nor TTL are available. Introducing Priolite SONY HSS HotSync up to 1/8000th shutter speed
    Yes. I had long and ultimately fruitless email discussions with him and PW engineering rep about adding FP high pulse burn to support higher shutter speeds. I was testing the MC2 with the ControlTL PWs.

PCB claimed it was not worth the effort to add TTL like features to the Einstein.

Another thing that would be interesting to know is the t.05 time as power is reduced below 1:1.
    That's one of the things I learned when testing Hyper Sync with ControlTL. The lower the power setting with voltage power control, the longer the duration.

It looks like the HS lights have the batteries under the light body while the others have the battery in the body. That suggests that the space used by the battery has been taken up with capacitors.

I wonder if they tested with the camera flash menu settings other than wireless.
    If you get some to test, see if they support second curtain sync which is exclusive of wireless.
    The Godox X1 system suggests that SCS will work with Sony. That's one of the first things I want to test.
    Last edited by dmward; 9th April 2016 at 06:38.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Yes. I had long and ultimately fruitless email discussions with him and PW engineering rep about adding FP high pulse burn to support higher shutter speeds. I was testing the MC2 with the ControlTL PWs.

PCB claimed it was not worth the effort to add TTL like features to the Einstein.

Another thing that would be interesting to know is the t.05 time as power is reduced below 1:1.
    That's one of the things I learned when testing Hyper Sync with ControlTL. The lower the power setting with voltage power control, the longer the duration.

It looks like the HS lights have the batteries under the light body while the others have the battery in the body. That suggests that the space used by the battery has been taken up with capacitors.

I wonder if they tested with the camera flash menu settings other than wireless.
    If you get some to test, see if they support second curtain sync which is exclusive of wireless.
    The Godox X1 system suggests that SCS will work with Sony. That's one of the first things I want to test.
    I emailed Priolite USA and asked on their Facebook page about the possibility to demo the lights. I believe that I read that it's possible to sync at all power levels from 9W/secs up to 1000W/secs. I think the the timing of the sync will adjust accordingly and it works with EFCS too although they recommend turning the option off above 1/1000 sec shutter speed. I will take a look further to see if I see anything on Second shutter sync.

i wholly agree on the PCB front too. I'd love native support and a more user friendly controller.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Adorama shows the Sony variant Flashpoint (GoDox) TT685s available to order. I placed an order even though I have one coming from a reseller in China. Not sure which will arrive first. Would prefer to wait for the TT860s with lithium battery but also want to get these tested and into production as soon as possible.

One thing I noticed on the spec sheet is that they have a Canon external power plug. Not a problem if you once had Canon speedlites. Also the benefit of being able to use Paramount cables which I prefer to the Godox Sony cable. Longer and less stiff coiling.

More to come.

Update 12:29pm Got an update from Adorama saying the item is on backorder. Not sure it that means they sold out firs shipment from Godox or if they are just waiting for it to arrive. Now its a race to see if I get the one ordered from China first.

Helen Oster, a customer service ambassador at Adorma, while answering another question via email said that Adorama expects the X1 triggers and speedlites with Sony compatibility by end of April. That suggests the backorder status is for first batch.
    Last edited by dmward; 11th April 2016 at 11:54.
    David

dmwfotos | davidmward.photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For those planning to get one or more of the Godox X system devices that have upgradable firmware HERE is a page with the english translation.
    The word document that downloads with the firmware is in Chinese. I did not bother to clean up the grammar since my American may be harder to understand than the Google translation.

If you are a Mac user, like me, you'll also have to come up with a Windows machine to run the firmware update software.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got an email from my Godox sales contact in China that the Sony variant X1T is available. She is sending me two. Hopefully they will arrive within a couple of weeks. That suggests that they will start appearing at Adorama, Cheetah and others before too long.

I already have 3 XFR-16 and 3 XFR16s receivers to plug into my existing lights so testing can start as soon as they arrive.

The TT685IIs should be here any day.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got an email from my Godox sales contact in China that the Sony variant X1T is available. She is sending me two. Hopefully they will arrive within a couple of weeks. That suggests that they will start appearing at Adorama, Cheetah and others before too long.

I already have 3 XFR-16 and 3 XFR16s receivers to plug into my existing lights so testing can start as soon as they arrive.

The TT685IIs should be here any day.
    Congrats. Are the CheetahStand versions TTL? I though I read that their TTL version wasn't being released until next year. I saw Adorama has the TTL versions being released as well.

What has been your experience with reliability with the Godox stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats. Are the CheetahStand versions TTL? I though I read that their TTL version wasn't being released until next year. I saw Adorama has the TTL versions being released as well.

What has been your experience with reliability with the Godox stuff?
    CheetahStand is not going to offer TTL version of the AD600. The AD360II is only TTL. For both lights the firmware, including TTL variants is updatable. Thus, a Canon TTL light can have Nikon and Sony TTL firmware added to it. The AD360 will also have interchangeable TTL hot foot plate so it can be converted from one to another. No specific word from Godox but I expect that they will be available as an accessory.

All the X1 system triggers are TTL capable and firmware updatable. The only physical difference as I understand it is that they have camera specific hot shoe and hot foot.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So David I could buy there new portable with the transmitter on eBay right now actually than I can use same transmitter with Ad360 heads I currently have. Update firmware, update foot and they become TTL units or it just becomes compatible manual strobes using the same transmitters and receivers . They need a flow chart
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    So David I could buy there new portable with the transmitter on eBay right now actually than I can use same transmitter with Ad360 heads I currently have. Update firmware, update foot and they become TTL units or it just becomes compatible manual strobes using the same transmitters and receivers . They need a flow chart
    No firmware updates for the first generation lights that we all have now. The TTL firmware is for the second generation lights. The XTR-16 receiver replaces the FT-16 receiver that we are using now. The FT-16 is a 433Mhz system. The new X system is a 2.4Ghz system. With the X system transmitter its possible to control groups and channels from the transmitter. I think it will also control power setting on the older lights, that's one thing I'll confirm. The X system trigger/controller also supports FP sync on the Sony cameras with multifunction hotshoe so it makes it easy to do H mode with the older lights as well.

The Sony variant TT865s speedlite will also control up to three groups which can include the older lights using an XTR-16 receiver. There is a hotshoe on the X1 trigger so a speedlite can be mounted there for fill. One thing I will test is ability to use a Nissin Di700a in the hotshoe. I will also test placing the Nissin Air Commander in the X1 Trigger hotshoe to see if that works.

Any other test arrangements anyone can think of are welcome. I'm willing to do the testing, and don't want to overlook anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is link to the Godox firmware update site: http://www.godox.com/EN/Download.html

The latest updates for the Godox AD360 and AD600 TTL units include compatibility with the just released X1Ts transmitter for Sony.

V2.6 for the AD360 includes X1T Sony compatibility
    V2.2 for the AD600 includes X1T Sony compatibility
    Both are dated 4-13-2016

Post Thanks / Like

Adorama is accepting pre-orders for Sony variant AD600s.
    They offer a package that includes a Sony variant X1T trigger/controller.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Adorama is accepting pre-orders for Sony variant AD600s.
    They offer a package that includes a Sony variant X1T trigger/controller.
    Yeah I saw that but the PC requirement for upgrade might make these a deal breaker. I have Mac's...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I saw that but the PC requirement for upgrade might make these a deal breaker. I have Mac's...
    I'm all Mac as well. I did find a Windows 10 laptop for about $200 that I may purchase. Its not that much more than running bootcamp with a windows license.
    And, I had problems doing that with USB drivers for the devices I was trying to update. Don't remember which but it was a pain.

The device I found is really a tablet with a keyboard that detaches so it may be useful for tethered shooting as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So for the moment I ordered just the flash. Just want to see how it compares to my Nissin. So I ordered this

Godox Thinklite TTL TT685S Camera Flash High Speed 1/8000s GN60 for Sony DSLR Cameras a77II a7RII a7R a58 a99 ILCE6000L
    Godox Thinklite TTL TT685S Camera Flash High Speed 1/8000s GN60 for Sony DSLR Cameras

Now my thinking is if I love it order a second one with remote controller.

Than with my current 3 AD360 I just get new usb receivers 3 in total. Update firmware for the Ad 360 than I can use 1 remote to fire 3 AD 360 plus 2 portables all at the same time. Now if I wanted a 600 watt unit I could buy the new one with HSS and use the same trigger.

Does that sound correct. Honestly I want one trigger to fire everything but I don't want to sell my AD 360 units just update the usb receivers . Having the two Godox portables I could do HSS With one or both. To me it's pick one system and go with it. I would sell my current Nissin flash and remote.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I assume I'll need these parts

Godox X1T-S TTL 1/8000s HSS 2.4G Flash Remote Trigger Transmitter for Sony Cameras+ HuiHuang USB LED free gift

Than for my current AD360 I need 3 of these and update the flashes

Godox XTR-16 Wireless 2.4G Remote Control Flash Receiver for Witstro outdoor flash, Quicker, Quicker D, QT, QS, Gemini GT, Gemini GS, DE, and DP series Studio Flashes

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that all you said is correct Guy. I believe it's a matter of updating firmware, buying enough X1S receivers. That's really the biggest pro IMO of the Godox/Adorama/CheetahStand lights - speed lights and strobes with one control system.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    You've got it.
    You need an XTR-16 for each of your existing 360s. They replace the 433Mhz FTR-16 that you're using now.
    The X1Ts is the controller/trigger that goes in the hotshoe to remotely control and fire the off camera lights.

The TT685s will also act as a controller trigger for the AD360 lights with the XTR-16 attached.

There is no firmware to update on the AD360s that you currently own. They are and always will be manual only.

The firmware updates are for the AD360II which is a TTL flash.
    You may need to update firmware on the TT685s and X1Ts at some point.

The T685s has a Canon plug for its external battery connection rather than a Sony plug. There is a TT680s that has been announced and should start shipping in a month or so. It has the Lithium Ion battery. It recycles as fast as the TT685s with an external battery pack.

Even though its not a standard configuration, I'm happy that the TT685 has a Canon plug. That means I can use a Paramount cable which is better than the Godox Sony cable. Longer, and less stiff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perfect I had a feeling I did not need the firmware. Thanks for weighing in here. So I'll buy a second flash with the transmitter and the 3 usb receivers. So I need a canon plug cable. I was wondering about that. Now is this flash about the same power as the Nissin That I have today or a little under powered. The guide numbers are not making sense to me. End game is just be all Godox and sell my Nissin. I'm sure someone would buy it with air commander and I actually have 2 cables for externals

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect I had a feeling I did not need the firmware. Thanks for weighing in here. So I'll buy a second flash with the transmitter and the 3 usb receivers. So I need a canon plug cable. I was wondering about that. Now is this flash about the same power as the Nissin That I have today or a little under powered. The guide numbers are not making sense to me. End game is just be all Godox and sell my Nissin. I'm sure someone would buy it with air commander and I actually have 2 cables for externals
    Guy,
    I expect that they will be about the same power as the Nissin Di700a. I have a TT685s coming from China. It must be on the slow boat, its been almost 3 weeks now and still waiting. One of my first tests will be a power comparison.

THIS is the cable I got when I had Canon speedlites. Its longer and less springy than others. I still have one in the bag that I'll use when the TT685s arrives to confirm it works with the Godox battery.

Here is a link to the XTR-16. They are shipped by Amazon here. I got mine in a couple of days.

I'm also thinking that the Nissin Air system will go on the block. Its a great system but the Godox X system is more extensive.

I am still thinking about using a Nissin i60a on top of the Godox X1T on the camera. Its smaller than the Di700a and rated as more output. It will accept an external battery as well. Then again, the TT860s or the TT685s will act as a master on camera so that's probably the first option.

One test I have planned is to have the TT685 on camera with the AD360s in groups B and C for off camera and fired via the XTR-16. That should work based on what I've read about how people are using the Canon and Nikon versions.

I have two of the TTL version AD600Bs pre-ordered from Adorama. I've been told Adorama should be getting them mid-May. I also ordered the remote head. I think they may become my default event lighting setup. I have some shoot through umbrellas with blackout panels to keep light off the wall that work well for flooding a room. The nice thing about TTL is being able to setup a lighting ratio and have it stay constant regardless how close the subject is to either light. What I've missed with the Nissin Air is having a fill light on camera.
    Last edited by dmward; 20th April 2016 at 09:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David I just ordered this from China The Sony trigger and 3 receivers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401105703521

Ill get the second flash when I get the one Friday I ordered earlier. This is going to be nice 2 speed lights 3 AD 360 all with one trigger

Post Thanks / Like

The TT685s I ordered arrived today.
    Testing and evaluation starting tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great David looking forward to this

Post Thanks / Like

To whet your appetite;

When using the TT685 as a master the camera has to be set to fill flash, slow flash or rear curtain sync. It its set to WL flash it drives the TT685 to optical mode.
    With the camera set to one of the other three the LCD on the TT685 becomes the control panel.

The master can be set to TTL with the A,B,C groups set to TTL, M or -- which is off. The -- option means its possible to turn a group off to check lighting on a group-by-group basis.

I discovered, through experimentation, that the A, B, C group is selected on the XT-16s receiver as A, B, C. I first thought it might be 0,1,2. It makes sense that it should be A, B, C. That also means there are 10 groups from 0-9 available for other uses.

Setting power in the remote manual units is straight forward. The one thing to remember is that the set button has to be pressed to sent the setting to the unit(s).

I got an email from Adorama that the two AD600BTTL units I pre-ordered are being shipped today. UPS shows that they are planned for delivery tomorrow. So, some TTL multi-light testing can be done as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That sounds really good so set camera to fill instead of wireless . Power good David. My one comes tommorrow no remote yet though

Post Thanks / Like

I did a quick check for power with Nissin Di700a. They are close. I'm going to redo it with a bit more control.

The X1Ts are not going to ship for a couple more weeks based on what I heard from the Chinese sales person I used to get the TT685s.

A asked Adorama to ship the AD600s as soon as available rather than waiting for the X1Ts that were included in the package.

I think it may be mid-May before they are here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I will hold on to my set of remotes and receives for the AD360 for now. I just a on camera flash for now actually two for a gig in a few weeks. So I think I'm going to put up my Nissin as it sounds like everything is working. I'll post on the buy and sell but Nissin a700 or whatever it's called plus air commander and also cord for the external packs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David my transmitter and receivers did ship from China this morning get them next week. I'm ordering the second flash today. Amazon has it in stock for 149 which was the first one I bought so I get that today. Sold my Nissin stuff so I'm all Godox units now. Be nice to have one remote for everything.

I'll keep 2 extra sets of the old transmitters for when I do my big event I have 3 shooters doing a red carpet gig. Be backup too. I'll get a second new transmitter too for my other cam A6300. But eventually I want a 600watt pack too.

My only real problem is sometimes I need to see to focus so at some point I may add for the studio stuff just a decent tungsten lamp so the camera can focus better

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on a report for my website on the Godox X system.
    The AD600BTTL lights I ordered from Adorama arrived today.
    I did a quick couple of test shots. It has the latest version firmware (2.2) which includes Sony X1-T support. It apparently also means that it supports a TT685s as a master since it does what I expected when controlled by the TT685s in TTL mode.

HSS has to be switched on via a button press at the light. Not a serious problem since it can be left on regardless of shutter speed without impacting performance. At least that's how it appears.

I tried FEL TTL metering and it worked like a charm. Just as my earlier test I described in this post about how I set up FEL to get a base exposure using TTL, then keep shooting with that power setting rather than TTL metering every shot.

Once I'd confirmed that FEL worked as I hoped, I went to the control screen and dialed in FEC for the locked power setting. And, it did alter the exposure as expected.

This makes Godox AD600TTL with FEL and FEC a really powerful tool with the A7RII, and I expect any other Sony camera that can be configured the same way.

I'll try to find a somewhat interesting test subject tomorrow and shot some example images. Preferably outside to get the full impact along with exposure balancing with bright ambient.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a AD600BTTL today, but it doesn't have the updated firmware. Trying to figure out how to do that now. No device at all is detected when I plug it into the USB port.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got my TT 685s today another coming Tuesday and remotes coming next week. Seems like a nice portable but does not swivel for portrait mode. I have a lot to get through. The canon plug for external battery does work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by engardeknave View Post
    I got a AD600BTTL today, but it doesn't have the updated firmware. Trying to figure out how to do that now. No device at all is detected when I plug it into the USB port.
    What version firmware. V2.2 is latest.
    There is, apparently, a driver required so that Windows will recognize the device.
    I'm just learning this. I'm a Mac user and had to buy my first in about 10 years Windows computer.

Post Thanks / Like

HERE is first installment of my evaluation of the Sony variant Godox X System. This page includes the TT685s and the AD600TTL.

More to come.
    David

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody. Very informative thread.

I have a question for Mr. dmward.
    Would the original power cable of the AD360 with its power pack fits directly on the new speedlite TT685's external power port?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
    Thanks everybody. Very informative thread.

I have a question for Mr. dmward.
    Would the original power cable of the AD360 with its power pack fits directly on the new speedlite TT685's external power port?
    No. It has to be a cable intended for a Canon speedlite.
    The original AD360 plug, while similar is different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,

Thanks for the informative write-up. I have been away for a few weeks and am just catching up. The new lights look very interesting.

Jim
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    David,

Thanks for the informative write-up. I have been away for a few weeks and am just catching up. The new lights look very interesting.

Jim
    They are Jim.

I got a call Friday, a beta Sony X1Ts and TT680s are going to get to me Tuesday or Wednesday. So, more will be known by end of next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need to sit down and read without being interrupted every 5 seconds. Looks like 3 in the morning it is for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They are Jim.

I got a call Friday, a beta Sony X1Ts and TT680s are going to get to me Tuesday or Wednesday. So, more will be known by end of next week.
    Looking forward to hearing more. If they all work well today might sell some of other stuff and consolidate with Godox. A 360II looks promising. The AD600BTTL sounds good but might be too heavy for a carry around kind of product. Sounds like it would need heavier stands, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to hearing more. If they all work well today might sell some of other stuff and consolidate with Godox. A 360II looks promising. The AD600BTTL sounds good but might be too heavy for a carry around kind of product. Sounds like it would need heavier stands, etc.
    I was surprised when I took the AD600 out of its box. Its smaller than I thought.
    The BTS shot I included shows two of them, one on an 8 foot Calumet stand and the other on an 8 foot Cheethstand. The one on the Calumet stand has the silver Cheetah foldable beauty dish on it. I thinks about 30" octa. The other has the small Glow octa from Adorama.

They would be a more stable on a 10 foot stand. I'm looking forward to the remote head. That should be perfect for 10 foot stands on location.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would like at least one a360 II

Post Thanks / Like

I would like at least one a360 II
    The 360 IIs are probably enough light for most situations. I got the two 600s because they have the sequencing feature. I may just go ahead and get two more rather than wait and wonder if its going to be added to the rest of the X system.

I'm also impressed with the AD600 build. Its smaller than I thought it would be. There is only about $200 difference between the TTL AD600 and the AD360 which is only TTL. For manual flash applications I have 3 AD360s and 4 v850s, which, with the XTR-16 and 16s work into the system without a problem.

I'm looking forward to testing the capabilities of the X1Ts. If it can control 4 or 5 groups in TTL then its going to be really fun working out configuration options for lighting schemes.

Post Thanks / Like

HERE is another installment.
    Did some quick testing to see what kind of power is required when using the AD600TTL for fill flash outside on a sunny day.
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, I found this thread and wanted to chime in about the Interfit S1 strobes ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...c_hss_ttl.html ) and Sony cameras (No, I don't work for Interfit, lol).

Right now, they have TTL/HSS remotes for Canon and Nikon cameras, that allow TTL, HSS, and power adjustments from the camera.

I emailed them and asked if they work with Sony, and they said no, but here's what else he said:

"I can say that our engineers have developed a Sony HSS/TTL remote and are in the testing phase now to ensure compatibility with all of the new Sony mirrorless cameras."

So I'd say that's good news for Sony users. Just wanted to share that info.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjp85 View Post
    Hi guys, I found this thread and wanted to chime in about the Interfit S1 strobes ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...c_hss_ttl.html ) and Sony cameras (No, I don't work for Interfit, lol).

Right now, they have TTL/HSS remotes for Canon and Nikon cameras, that allow TTL, HSS, and power adjustments from the camera.

I emailed them and asked if they work with Sony, and they said no, but here's what else he said:

"I can say that our engineers have developed a Sony HSS/TTL remote and are in the testing phase now to ensure compatibility with all of the new Sony mirrorless cameras."

So I'd say that's good news for Sony users. Just wanted to share that info.
    Its always good to see that manufacturers are taking Sony TTL seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the remote head ordered. That's what I plan to use with 10 foot stands.
    The light, with a reasonable modifier will probably work on a 10 foot stand without too much risk.
    I did try it on an 8 foot cheetah stand and it was way too risky. With just the head and a reasonable modifier it should work without risk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the remote head ordered. That's what I plan to use with 10 foot stands.
    The light, with a reasonable modifier will probably work on a 10 foot stand without too much risk.
    I did try it on an 8 foot cheetah stand and it was way too risky. With just the head and a reasonable modifier it should work without risk.
    The remote head seems to be an option that makes this reasonably portable. I have a Rovelight 600 which I am selling because it is just to heavy for anything but a large and heavy stand on location. While the Godox is almost a pound heavier the remote head looks like you can move most of the weight down and balance it all a lot better. I would normally go for the 360 but the 600 might be the better option.

Post Thanks / Like

So I do indeed have a bad USB port on my AD600B. Heads up--Ebay seller roushot_us/biligo_us is absolutely glacially slow to ship or respond to problems and doesn't appear to speak English.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by engardeknave View Post
    So I do indeed have a bad USB port on my AD600B. Heads up--Ebay seller roushot_us/biligo_us is absolutely glacially slow to ship or respond to problems and doesn't appear to speak English.
    That more or less is the case with most of the Chinese resellers, regardless of whether its EBay or Amazon.

You may want to contact Edward at Cheetahstand in Dallas. Its my understanding that he has made arrangements with Godox to provide warranty support for them in the US.

Especially, since you're in Dallas area.

Post Thanks / Like

Used AD600 on a job yesterday.
    Did this portrait of the client with one of his toys to test TTL for fill with sun after the shoot.

David

Post Thanks / Like

I received a beta version X1Ts yesterday afternoon.
    Did some testing this morning, then spent half an hour on a Video conference with Edward Tang and a couple of others going through the various capabilities to confirm that they work as expected.

The X1Ts supports 5 Groups. Any of the groups can be TTL or Manual. Once they are set, there is a feature that permits changing the power of all the groups. i.e. if two groups are TTL and two are Manual. Using the feature all can be increased or decreased in power. So, 1 EV up changes the TTL groups 1 FEC up and the manual groups I EV up.

I also determined that the FEC on the X1T and the FEC in the camera are additive. So, -3 EV on the X1Ts and + 3 EV on the camera are a 0EV exposure.

If camera FEC is adjusted with some groups in TTL and some in M only the TTL groups change.

The bad news, for me, is that the hot shoe on top of the X1Ts is only for center pin x sync. Its not a multi-function shoe. The good news it, that placing an X system speedlite in the shoe and assigning it to a Gr as a slave means it can be controlled by the X1Ts just like any other slave.

More to come when I have a chance to write it all up and put it on my site.
    Last edited by dmward; 28th April 2016 at 13:23.
    David