Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

HERE is the third installment. This one relates to the X1Ts controller/trigger.

The only element of the Godox line that I haven't tested is the new AD360II TTL bare bulb flash. I don't plan on buying one until I know for certain that Godox is going to incorporate the sequencing feature either in the AD360 or in a controller/trigger that will work with all the lights in the system.

In summary, its a complete system that delivers capabilities beyond anything available from any other manufacturer of which I'm aware.
    David

dmwfotos | davidmward.photography
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There is an additional strobe option in the Godox X system that has been overlooked during our discussion of the battery powered lights.
    The recently announced QT600II. Based on the little that is available on the Godox site it will have TTL capabilities, along with Masking feature. The model number suggests its a 600Ws AC powered strobe.

Post Thanks / Like

HERE is a summary of the Godox X system components that I added to my site to help organize one's thinking when evaluating the capabilities.

Enjoy!
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Two Sony variant X1T controllers arrived today.
    They were shipped from a source in China as soon as they were available there.
    They have V12 firmware which is the same version firmware in the X1T I have been testing for Edward at Cheetah Stand. The positive result of that testing was Edward saying he would contact Godox to release the Sony variant X1T for production.

So, those who ordered from Amazon and other off shore sources, check to see that V12 firmware is installed in the Sony variant X1T and you should be good to go.
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another installment in my ongoing series evaluating the X system. This is a quickie with my thoughts about the CL600ET.

Great accessory.

There are also 1200Ws and 2400Ws versions listed for pre-order on Adorama's site. I have a question in to them about availability.

My sales contact in China is going to confirm when the 1200Ws version will be shipping. She said the 2400Ws version will be later.

I think one use for these multi-pack version is to set the UNIT/ALT feature so that a sequence of images can be made using the same tube/modifier. Thus, if one had 4 packs plugged into the 2400Ws version a sequence of for images could be made without having to wait for a pack to recycle. Coincidentally, the UNIT/ALT setting permit up to 4 in a sequence. Hmmmm.
    David

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For those wanting AC powered monolights that have Sony HSS capabilities Godox has introduced the QT600II/400II. They offer extremely short flash duration at lower power settings. They also offer HSS and are controlled by the X1T.

Post Thanks / Like

Transmitter and 2 receivers came on Friday 29th with v12 firmware. (ordered on the 21th directly from CN)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
    Transmitter and 2 receivers came on Friday 29th with v12 firmware. (ordered on the 21th directly from CN)
    You should be good to go. Which receivers?

Post Thanks / Like

They're the XTR-16 + X1T-S
    Just tested alright with the Flashpoint SL360

I also ordered 2x TT685S + Extra X1T-S but they said not ready for shipment sometimes this week.
    I don't mind using TT685-S with AA battery since I already have the power pack of the AD360 for quick recycling.
    Though, I might probably get one AD360 II version in a future.

Last edited by SamSS; 1st May 2016 at 20:01.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have both portables and got them to work one on camera as the master and one off camera, so that works. I love that you can just go into HSS without doing anything. Just pick your poison. I'm waiting on transmitter and 3 receivers
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case anyone has been wondering about the Masking and sequencing capabilities.
    I just saw a post from a photographer that is doing a lot of product development work with Godox and Cheetahstand. He indicated that Godox plans to implement the Masking and sequencing in special trigger that will, presumably, permit it to work with all the lights that can be triggered in Groups via the 2.4Ghz receivers.

That is a really big deal in my book.
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Transmitter now and I got everything working on the portables but where I had trouble was setting up the transmitter and the 3 usb receivers to work with my non TTL AD360 units. I used c,d,e on the recievers but I'm not sure how you set the channels on them. I had channel 1 set on transmitter and I I thought 1 up on usb and the other 3 down. Now what mode to set on the AD360 was the other question. I got this pulsating strobe going off and not sure what was going on.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sam or Guy,

Who did you but your Sony transmitter from? Looking to get a Sony version but not really having any luck finding one that will ship quickly.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have the Transmitter now and I got everything working on the portables but where I had trouble was setting up the transmitter and the 3 usb receivers to work with my non TTL AD360 units. I used c,d,e on the recievers but I'm not sure how you set the channels on them. I had channel 1 set on transmitter and I I thought 1 up on usb and the other 3 down. Now what mode to set on the AD360 was the other question. I got this pulsating strobe going off and not sure what was going on.
    Guy, that got me too the first time I've used.
    For channel 1 that would be all dip switches down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Sam or Guy,
    Who did you but your Sony transmitter from? Looking to get a Sony version but not really having any luck finding one that will ship quickly.
    Jim
    I didn't have a knack for quick ship but was lucky to get mine only in 8 days.

I bought it here....but first get a $2 coupon from their store front HERE
    Then come over their product page listed for $72.99 HERE to make your purchase. $2 coupon will be applied at check out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got both systems working perfectly as each system both the AD360 with trigger and the 685 system. Next hat trick is using both systems together. That would give me 5 total heads.

The 685s are a little finicky to work. I shot a casual wedding last night and I could not sync them up. Apparently the wireless icon was not showing up on the 685s. Still getting used to the system but I love how HSS mode is always there.

I would like to get at least one AD360II. That way I can have 3 heads doing HSS and TTL. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Got both systems working perfectly as each system both the AD360 with trigger and the 685 system. Next hat trick is using both systems together. That would give me 5 total heads.

The 685s are a little finicky to work. I shot a casual wedding last night and I could not sync them up. Apparently the wireless icon was not showing up on the 685s. Still getting used to the system but I love how HSS mode is always there.

I would like to get at least one AD360II. That way I can have 3 heads doing HSS and TTL. Thanks for your help.
    Guy,
    The on camera 685 is the master. It gets it settings from the M group.
    The on-camera 685 is set to wireless by cycling trough the wireless options using the button on the right with a lightening bolt above it ; TTL, optical wireless, radio wireless. The mode button on the left then cycles the speedlite through the modes in each wireless category.

Any off camera 685 has to set to slave mode and select the group you want. That speedlite is then controlled from the master via that group. The group options include mode, TTL, M or disabled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I had both 685s off camera and I did not have the wireless on . Now I got it figured out that you have to cycle through

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I'm going to sell one AD360 and get a AD360II do I just buy a Canon one and use my trigger and usb

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest give it time as they're going to release the AD360IIS Sony's version.

I came across this new release for SONY - TT600S with MIS foot for $70.
    It is very much the same as the Yongnuo 560 IV but with a side kick for the same price.
    TT600S is fully manual flash, 2.4GHz built-in, compatible with X1T system.
    The side kick is its HSS capability when used as off camera triggered with X1T, TT685s.

It's useful and inexpensive for spot/background lighting without the need of TTL. I'm going to order 2 tomorrow and retire a bunch of Yongnuo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe the AD 600bm I should get. There is a manual power unit I believe. So it sounds like I adjust that at the head .

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I'm going to sell one AD360 and get a AD360II do I just buy a Canon one and use my trigger and usb
    Guy,
    The AD360II has a built in X system radio. You do not need a USB unit.
    The current version firmware support Sony if you are using the AD360 as a slave with a Sony X1Ts or TT685s or V680IIs as a controller.

Waiting for the Sony specific model number will mean that it has a base with a Sony multi-funcion hot foot.
    Otherwise they are the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the AD 600bm I should get. There is a manual power unit I believe. So it sounds like I adjust that at the head .
    Not sure what you mean here. The 600BM is a manual version. It is still controllable from the X1Ts controller. It will do HSS for Canon, Nikon or Sony. The remote head plugs into the unit in place of the flash tube which then plugs into the remote head. That means a small light weight flash head on the stand with the power pack at the base of the stand for support.

That's what I use as a default. Picture coming. Used it yesterday that way for a gig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David this unit
    http://www.amazon.com/Godox-AD600BM-...x+ad600bm+sony

So to make it head on stand and pack on floor lets say there is a optional kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Guy,
    The AD360II has a built in X system radio. You do not need a USB unit.
    The current version firmware support Sony if you are using the AD360 as a slave with a Sony X1Ts or TT685s or V680IIs as a controller.

Waiting for the Sony specific model number will mean that it has a base with a Sony multi-funcion hot foot.
    Otherwise they are the same.
    Okay so I can buy a Canon unit use my transmitter as i would never use this on a camera anyway. Its to heavy. Actually I took all my hot shoes off and put just the tripod plate on.

I think for now as I'm so happy with the 360 its the way to go also becuase I get 3 power packs that I can use 1 for the AD360 and the other 2 on my 685s outdoors

I shot this the other day with 2 685's and the transmitter on TTL and i just love having this but adding a TTL 360 would be awesome..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

David this unit
    http://www.amazon.com/Godox-AD600BM-...x+ad600bm+sony

So to make it head on stand and pack on floor lets say there is a optional kit
    Yep. HERE. I used it Friday night. I'll post a picture later today. Will be using it later this morning as well. I think its going to be my default approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so I can buy a Canon unit use my transmitter as i would never use this on a camera anyway. Its to heavy. Actually I took all my hot shoes off and put just the tripod plate on.

I think for now as I'm so happy with the 360 its the way to go also becuase I get 3 power packs that I can use 1 for the AD360 and the other 2 on my 685s outdoors

I shot this the other day with 2 685's and the transmitter on TTL and i just love having this but adding a TTL 360 would be awesome..
    Perfect. They you don't have to worry about which 360II you get. The firmware is the same. Its the base that makes it camera specific. I agree that it will never be on a camera I'm holding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, that got me too the first time I've used.
    For channel 1 that would be all dip switches down.
    Sam, Thanks for the info - I meant to send this the other day. Reasonable price and I understand you got it quickly but they are now quoting 15-45 days and guaranteed in 60. I am hoping to get one a little sooner somewhere but having no luck. Hoping Adorama will let me know their time frame on Monday. I have the 600 sitting here but it's only a paperweight right now as I have no way to control it.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks David you confirmed my thinking. I listed one AD360 kit on the buy and sell its like new. Someone should grab it. Nice to have the manual one as well. End of day I will have 2 AD360, one AD 360II, 2 685s all using the same transmitter. Plus I have a lot of combination use.

Maybe I'll get a third 685 for interior travel work. Have three of them in a small travel bag with stands to check on aircraft

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the setup with the remote head.
    The light was 1/16th power. light stand was 12 Feet from the Talent mark.
    That's a big PLM soft silver. the reflector is what Cheetah called the Hub Cap. I had it drilled to permit mounting the umbrella. The hole isn't quite aligned so there is a bit of spill on the ceiling. Plan to fix that before the next use.

Here's what it looks like:

Two of my associates shooting the wedding. 1/200, F8, ISO 400.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David you confirmed my thinking. I listed one AD360 kit on the buy and sell its like new. Someone should grab it. Nice to have the manual one as well. End of day I will have 2 AD360, one AD 360II, 2 685s all using the same transmitter. Plus I have a lot of combination use.

Maybe I'll get a third 685 for interior travel work. Have three of them in a small travel bag with stands to check on aircraft
    Guy, I have 4 of the V850 speedlites. They accept the XTR-16s receiver. They have the lithium battery so lots of pops, fast recycle and small. I use them a lot for small products and other stuff where lots of light isn't required.

With the S bracket they are easily interchangeable with the 360.

I think I'll sell one of my 360s. Haven't decided yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, Thanks for the info - I meant to send this the other day. Reasonable price and I understand you got it quickly but they are now quoting 15-45 days and guaranteed in 60. I am hoping to get one a little sooner somewhere but having no luck. Hoping Adorama will let me know their time frame on Monday. I have the 600 sitting here but it's only a paperweight right now as I have no way to control it.
    Jim
    That is bacically the same baseline shipping quote on my original order as well. It's matter of who actually has stock to get it shipped out and it seem that he does.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an image from a shoot this afternoon.

Two 600s, one in a Cheetah collapsible silver beauty dish without diffusion. The light was about 3 feet from the model. Second light was behind the translucent white background bounced off the wall.

This was one of the lighting options I used to create a backlit look.

Another one:

Last edited by dmward; 9th May 2016 at 10:58.

Post Thanks / Like

You're going to get a kick out of this!
    The MUA for whom I shot the images above sent me an email saying that she liked the look but wanted me to make images available without editing.

The ONLY thing I did to these images is fine tune the exposure, white balance and did about -25 clarity to tone down the mid-tone contrast.

Essentially, this is straight from the camera.
    David

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

David; thank you so much for your tests and samples; I've been following this post closely and your development and samples are just what I needed. Thank you kindly, Takomaru

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks really nice David and again thanks for taking the ball and running with this system. It's really helped me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is bacically the same baseline shipping quote on my original order as well. It's matter of who actually has stock to get it shipped out and it seem that he does.
    I decided to stop trying to find one I knew was in stock and ordered one from China last night. It says it has shipped but obviously it could be a long wait.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to stop trying to find one I knew was in stock and ordered one from China last night. It says it has shipped but obviously it could be a long wait.

Jim
    That's frustrating Jim.
    Hopefully, since they are small and light, they will get here without too much delay via air mail.

That's how mine came.

David

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim
    So maybe a bit of patience can pay off at times... http://www.amazon.com/Godox-Wireless...ords=godox+x1s
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have one that came from China in a week along with 3 USB receivers for the AD360

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401105703521

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone having problem with making power setting change from X1T transmitter when in HSS with AD360?
    Once in HSS, I've to manually dial the power changes on the flash but not from the transmitter.

Sample @ f2, 1/2 power HSS, 1/800s

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have one that came from China in a week along with 3 USB receivers for the AD360

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401105703521
    I ended up purchasing from this one as they claimed the fastest delivery. Transmitter and 2 receivers for legacy 360s. shipped last night according to them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191856347632

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone having problem with making power setting change from X1T transmitter when in HSS with AD360?
    Once in HSS, I've to manually dial the power changes on the flash but not from the transmitter.

Sample @ f2, 1/2 power HSS, 1/800s
    My recollection is that the light has to be placed in H mode on the light, then the power settings can be changed from the X1T. And it will fire at the higher FP sync shutter speeds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to order the AD360II tomorrow and than I may get a 600 down the road. 2 685s are enough I think. This system is getting really nice

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to order the AD360II tomorrow and than I may get a 600 down the road. 2 685s are enough I think. This system is getting really nice
    The 600s will go to 1/256 which is 8EV less than 600Ws which is 2.5Ws. That should cover most requirements. :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Question, do the Godox/Cheetah/Flashpoint 360 lights use the Bowens S mount too or a different one? What are people using for light modifiers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bowens S mount which I like but I think you can use elinchrom too

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bowens S mount would be preferred. Might get a speedlight set once the 860II is released. I will be testing the Priolite Hotsync lights within the next week or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Question, do the Godox/Cheetah/Flashpoint 360 lights use the Bowens S mount too or a different one? What are people using for light modifiers?
    The native 360 modifier mount is the same as the Quantum. i.e. the tube type mount that slides around the bare bulb and is clamped between the bulb and the head.

Preferable is the Godox/Cheetah bracket which comes in either an S mount or an Elinchrom mount. The head of the 360 slides into the bracket and is clamped in place just as a speedlite head.

I have several of them and haven't used a native modifier on a 360 since I got them.
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered the AD360II-C TTL unit today. Should be all set now. One little niggle the TT685s could use a little more power. I'm sure the 860 is the same. It's me I have to get used too shooting higher ISO too. Old school