Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Results 251 to 286 of 286

Thread: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

  1. #251
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    So the cat is out the bag and I can speak a bit more freely about the Priolite MBX500HS Ultra. There's a promotional video in the link attached.

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...compact-li-ion

    For a limited time early adopters can purchase the lights for a significant discount through Kickstarter. Currently the lowest priced package is running about the same as the 300ws MBX-HS versions.

    Key differences with the MBX500HS Ultra are the following.

    A) Significantly smaller in size and lighter in weight due to updated internal electronics. I've been speaking with one of the testers and he stated that two Ultras could probably fit in a backpack.
    B) Improved battery life due to updated Li-Ion battery (final specs aren't completed yet as they're still optimizing)
    C) Improved pricing for early adopters. For reference you could get two lights for less than the cost of one Profoto B1.

    The lights are still compatible with the same accessories due to the universal mount. The lights are still universally compatible with all universal or brand specific RC/RC-HS controllers. The lights will still seamlessly integrate with existing Priolite strobes.

    ***Full disclosure I'm a Priolite Brand Ambassador but I would never promote anything I don't use and/or wouldn't own myself.

    Rather than bash other competing products, I choose to speak to the merits of the Priolite system as I feel it can stand on it's own merits without any caveat. There are some different ways various companies choose to go about solving the same problems. Priolite's method works best for what I shoot. It's the only monolight on the market that I'm aware of that allows you to sync at any shutter speed available on your Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Pentax camera of choice and at any power level available up to 1000ws. It is also the only monolight with power options up to 1000ws I'm aware of that provides a user swappable Li-ion battery that allows one to shoot on location or plugged into a wall outlet like a traditional studio strobe out the box without need to purchase additional kits.***
    SOLD!

    I'm game. I'll outfit my downsized Michigan studio set-up with these, and send the Profoto/Hensel stuff I have here down to my bigger Florida place.

    I'll start with two units, a transmitter, and any accessory or cords needed to plug-in for AC use in studio (unless they are standard cords of which I have a zillion).

    Please advise on pricing, and wether they will they have bundles like the other companies?

    Are there replacement Lithium batteries for location work?

    What is the warranty and service set-up in the USA?

    You can definitely see the Hensel influence taken steps further.

    Contact me on how to get this going. I have a job on July 30th where I could really use these.

    - Marc

  2. #252
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    SOLD!

    I'm game. I'll outfit my downsized Michigan studio set-up with these, and send the Profoto/Hensel stuff I have here down to my bigger Florida place.

    I'll start with two units, a transmitter, and any accessory or cords needed to plug-in for AC use in studio (unless they are standard cords of which I have a zillion).

    Please advise on pricing, and wether they will they have bundles like the other companies?

    Are there replacement Lithium batteries for location work?

    What is the warranty and service set-up in the USA?

    You can definitely see the Hensel influence … taken steps further.

    Contact me on how to get this going. I have a job on July 30th where I could really use these.

    - Marc
    Marc,

    They have various bundles available through the Kickstarter campaign. Link is here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...compact-li-ion

    I will shoot you Priolite US an email about a few additional options to see if they can ship you a set prior to your shoot or maybe a demo kit but I think these the Ultras are expected to be delivered in September.

    The promotional kit prices are first come, first served with the cheapest package being $799 for the light, battery, and cables. Packages go up from there depending on what you want. All Priolite strobes come with a 2 year warranty. The battery charging cable is included. The same cable that you use to charge can be used with the battery in the unit and plugged into a wall or to charge an additional battery while you're cable free. The batteries charge to ~80% in 2 hours and to full capacity in 3 hours. Additional batteries can be purchased separately. You can find Priolite accessories and lights here - PRIOLITE NORTH AMERICA.

    The Profoto adapter can be found there as well as well as the full priced Ultras which will go for $1399 so you'll end up saving almost half by buying early.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 4th July 2016 at 17:17.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  3. #253
    Member elitegroup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    love the compact portability of the new Priolite Ultra, any chance this particular unit might have future compatibility with the Hasselblad X1D? Prefer the smaller size of the ultra compared to the larger leaf shutter units I'm hoping the 1000w strobes will also be updated to a smaller body shell in future iterations. Hoping to place an order for the Ultra asap, Cheers
    MANA WAIRUA

  4. #254
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by elitegroup View Post
    love the compact portability of the new Priolite Ultra, any chance this particular unit might have future compatibility with the Hasselblad X1D? Prefer the smaller size of the ultra compared to the larger leaf shutter units I'm hoping the 1000w strobes will also be updated to a smaller body shell in future iterations. Hoping to place an order for the Ultra asap, Cheers
    I don't know of any current plans to put the 1000w unit into the Ultra packaging as they are already newer than the older MBX500HS lights.

    For leaf shutter lenses I recommend going with the non-HS versions that should sync to the 1/2000 max speed of the X1D. None of this is set in stone yet as the camera isn't released yet but there are those that have worked with Phase One systems without issue.

    The HS lights are designed with focal plane shutter use in mind. The non-HS lights are optimized for leaf shutters and have a shorter flash duration.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  5. #255
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    There's a chance it's already compatible, because the Hasselblad uses the Nikon flash shoe (I think?), so maybe the Nikon Priolite Remote would work, but don't take my word for it. I'm just speculating. I believe the X1D is compatible with Nikon speedlights.

    I'm tempted to use the Kickstarter to get 2 x 500HS Ultras for $1,598, but I don't think I can wait till September. Also, these types of things are usually delayed, so I could be waiting until October.

    I will be buying at least one in the future (at full price, but oh well), but for now I'm adding two 300ws units to my two 500ws units.

    EDIT: I forgot about the focal shutter vs leaf shutter, so I'm most likely wrong about the Hassy.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #256
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by rjp85 View Post
    There's a chance it's already compatible, because the Hasselblad uses the Nikon flash shoe (I think?), so maybe the Nikon Priolite Remote would work, but don't take my word for it. I'm just speculating. I believe the X1D is compatible with Nikon speedlights.

    I'm tempted to use the Kickstarter to get 2 x 500HS Ultras for $1,598, but I don't think I can wait till September. Also, these types of things are usually delayed, so I could be waiting until October.

    I will be buying at least one in the future (at full price, but oh well), but for now I'm adding two 300ws units to my two 500ws units.
    Sounds good.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  7. #257
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Sony FA-WRC1M Wireless Radio Commander
    Anybody found any details about this?
    The brief description on the B&H site says it supports 5 Groups. That suggests that Sony is going to extend its Group feature from 3 to 5.

    Hopefully that will add some functionality that can be leveraged by Godox and others.

  8. #258
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Sony FA-WRC1M Wireless Radio Commander
    Anybody found any details about this?
    The brief description on the B&H site says it supports 5 Groups. That suggests that Sony is going to extend its Group feature from 3 to 5.

    Hopefully that will add some functionality that can be leveraged by Godox and others.
    I assume it only works with Sony branded flashes.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  9. #259
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    I presume so.
    What I'm hoping is that Sony will update the firmware in the A7 series cameras to accommodate the 5 Groups. That will provide Godox, and others, with more resources for expanding capabilities in their controllers.

  10. #260
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    I presume so.
    What I'm hoping is that Sony will update the firmware in the A7 series cameras to accommodate the 5 Groups. That will provide Godox, and others, with more resources for expanding capabilities in their controllers.
    I thought the Phottix and Elinchrom controllers already supported up to 5 groups. My Priolite lights do up to 4 but I only own 2 for now.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  11. #261
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    They probably do.
    The Godox also support up to 5 groups.
    The Sony controller is extending the 5 group support for the wireless flash setting. Not sure what benefits that offers. Godox does not want to have the camera set in the wireless mode for its operations.

  12. #262
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Marc,

    They have various bundles available through the Kickstarter campaign. Link is here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...compact-li-ion
    I'm really happy to have been clicking through here on a whim, because this light is just what I have been looking for as a 645z shooter dying for some HSS options. I'd seen the bigger units before, but the size was off putting to me, and I also have a couple of Einsteins that I've been very pleased with besides the lack of HSS and the convoluted menus on the cyber commander. I backed the Kickstarter for one light and a remote thinking that I could use it alone for outdoor ambient light shooting, and then use it with the Einsteins inside.

    The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder if I should dump my Einsteins and buy a second Priolite. I figured I could mix the two brands and just trigger one or the other via the optical slave, but that's not exactly as foolproof as using a remote that controls all of the lights. Is this dumb and asking for annoyance down the road? Should I just purge the Einsteins and run one brand for simplicity? I'll also have to futz with adapting my Buff modifiers to fit the Priolite, but that's not the end of the world.

  13. #263
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlamott View Post
    I'm really happy to have been clicking through here on a whim, because this light is just what I have been looking for as a 645z shooter dying for some HSS options. I'd seen the bigger units before, but the size was off putting to me, and I also have a couple of Einsteins that I've been very pleased with besides the lack of HSS and the convoluted menus on the cyber commander. I backed the Kickstarter for one light and a remote thinking that I could use it alone for outdoor ambient light shooting, and then use it with the Einsteins inside.

    The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder if I should dump my Einsteins and buy a second Priolite. I figured I could mix the two brands and just trigger one or the other via the optical slave, but that's not exactly as foolproof as using a remote that controls all of the lights. Is this dumb and asking for annoyance down the road? Should I just purge the Einsteins and run one brand for simplicity? I'll also have to futz with adapting my Buff modifiers to fit the Priolite, but that's not the end of the world.
    Based on long term experience over decades of work, my advice would be to consolidate under one system.

    I currently run two systems (Profoto and Hensel), but that is an exception because Hensel includes Profoto AIR receivers in all the Hensel lighting I currently use (Porty 1200L, and a few mono-heads)... this includes control with the Profoto AIR Transceiver from the camera. Hensel makes some unique heads and modifiers that also helps make it work for me ... otherwise it is a PITA to maintain mods for two different mounts.

    While optical triggers typically work well in close situations like a home studio, they get jinky when demands ramp up ... like placing a hidden light in an adjacent room to light it up, or where there are others using flash like an event, or if you have a light buried inside a modifier that's at a distance. The thought is ... why limit yourself?

    Lastly, these new lights are state of the art in terms of Hyper-Sync ... and are especially relevant because your 645z can be used up to 1/4000 without compromising the level of light needed.

    I'm not sure, but even if the other PCB lights were triggered optically, would they Hyper-Sync with the Priolites? More tech-know folks may be able to answer that.

    - Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #264
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Yeah, you touched on a few points that I had thought about. I'd recently taken some photos of a newly renovated rental property, and I was stashing lights in adjacent rooms to make everything work; optical triggering probably wouldn't have worked. And no, I wouldn't be able to use hypersync on any light but the Priolite. I should probably just take advantage of the good Kickstarter pricing and get two to start.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #265
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlamott View Post
    I'm really happy to have been clicking through here on a whim, because this light is just what I have been looking for as a 645z shooter dying for some HSS options. I'd seen the bigger units before, but the size was off putting to me, and I also have a couple of Einsteins that I've been very pleased with besides the lack of HSS and the convoluted menus on the cyber commander. I backed the Kickstarter for one light and a remote thinking that I could use it alone for outdoor ambient light shooting, and then use it with the Einsteins inside.

    The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder if I should dump my Einsteins and buy a second Priolite. I figured I could mix the two brands and just trigger one or the other via the optical slave, but that's not exactly as foolproof as using a remote that controls all of the lights. Is this dumb and asking for annoyance down the road? Should I just purge the Einsteins and run one brand for simplicity? I'll also have to futz with adapting my Buff modifiers to fit the Priolite, but that's not the end of the world.
    Sorry for the delay but I was out of the country all last week. Thanks for supporting us and I know you'll really like the product. They showed new picture of the location backpack today that has foam inserts for two Ultras and accessories.

    To answer some of your questions and give you feedback based on my experience with both Priolites (and previously owning PCB Einseins) I concur with what Marc stated. Yes I'm somewhat a biased source but to be clear I didn't receive my gear for free as it was paid for out of my pocket after testing it. Nothing like voting with your wallet to stand behind a product for instance I know of some other people that promote other brands of lights and shoot with Profoto themselves for a variety of reasons. It's much easier to use one system and you know that you'll have 100% functioning units with your Priolite remote.

    A couple of things that may pose a problem for how you work are being able to control the lights from the camera, the slower flash duration of the Priolites (~1/200 sec) compared to the Einsteins (~1/8,000-1/13,000 sec max) which use IGBT technology (like speedlights or shorter duration strobes that pulse light if it has HSS capability), ability to use the Priolite HotSync lights at any available power level/available sync speed, having a more sturdy modifier mount whether you choose to use Priolite, Hensel, Bowens S, or Profoto accessories. Also the ability to be cordless on location with monolights that provide up to 1000ws of power is a huge plus if you don't want to deal with power packs and heads.

    All of these are benefits of remaining with Priolite and there are videos of another Priolite Ambassador, Alex Munoz, using Priolite 1000's with the Pentax system when he shot with it prior to going back to Phase One XF and Sony A7RII.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  16. #266
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    I have 4 AlienBees and 4 Priolites. You can have both, but I wouldn't use both at the same time. I have the Bees as backup.

    I've switched all my speedrings and reflectors to Bowens S mount, and you know what? They will also mount on the AlienBees! The Bees reflector holder clamps down on the Bowens stuff even better and tighter than it clamps down on the AlienBees stuff, which is really funny to me, and also very convenient.

    Any softbox or reflector I mount on my Priolites will still mount on my old AlienBees.

    I have the following speedrings and reflectors that are compatible with Priolites, and will also clamp down on the AlienBees:

    - Impact speedring for Bowens: Impact Speed Ring for Impact, Bowens S, Westcott SR-IMP B&H
    - Cheap but good Photoflex standard 7 inch Bowens style reflector for grids (I have 4 of these, they are cheap and well made, the Bowens brand is $101): Photoflex Standard 7" Reflector for StarFlash SB-SF7SR B&H
    - Bowens High performance reflector, used to shoot light through frames with fabric: Bowens High Performance Reflector for Bowens (12.5")

    All this stuff works with both brands of lights. Just wanted to throw that out there.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #267
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Elinchrom now has a video showing how the Hi-Sync controller works on Sony.
    Nothing new, just a good overview for anyone interested in Elinchrom Hi-Sync with their Sony cameras.

    HERE
    David

    dmwfotos | davidmward.photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #268
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Looks like Profoto is jumping into the mix in 2017. http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016...-sony-cameras/
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #269
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Profoto AIR/Sony is very good news!

    I use B1s, and a B2 kit for mobile work. Especially the B2 kit with the A7R-II when smaller size is preferred.

    Sounds like the D1s will not be supported ... nor my older Acute B2-600 pack. But that's okay as those are always in studio anyway.

    - Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #270
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Yeah I assume there is a technological gap for the D1 as they aren't supported in the Canon or Nikon Air-TTL remotes either. In either case the D2 looks like a huge step up anyway and I wonder if we will see a 1000w version of the B1 released.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  21. #271
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    I think Sony has established itself as a viable alternative in regards to shooting with strobes, as can be seen with Profoto and Elinchrom's adaptation. Although, I do find Profoto's mount to be outstanding, the mono lights are too heavy for my style of shooting, which is often just mounting on a painters pole for environmental portraits. The 250watt version just doesn't have the juice either and if you want HSS it further reduces power. I tried the PB E640 and it was adequate, but i needed faster synch without reducing power. I also tried the Elinchrom EL Skyport HS for Sony and was impressed so far. I paired it with their speed light,( which has a longer duration) and ELB 400,but allows any shutter speed on the A7 cameras at full power! You can adjust the ODS and there's no perceptible trigger delay with the new firmware from Elinchrom (v 1.10). The light is tiny, but has 450 w/s and when using my 55mm 1.8, i get great shallow DOF while balancing ambient beautifully with a Rotalux deep octa. The kit is insanely portable with great range. I'm just not a big fan of the mount. I only shoot manual, so TTL is of no concern, but there's always that option if needed in shoe mounts. The attached pics are low res for the web.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by jdphoto; 28th September 2016 at 08:55.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #272
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Yeah, the Quadra is one of the smallest set-ups out there ... especially out on the end of a portable pole. I'm not a fan of the mount either ... especially when using the plastic Quadra mount adapted with the regular EL mount to use the Rotaluxes. After a few failures, I bit the bullet and epoxied the two together.

    I have used the Profoto Acute B600 Lithium AIR pack for a while now, and it has become my portable "on-stick" choice. No TTL, but a small head with the regular Profoto mount, and 600W/s. I use it with both Rotalux Deep Octs. It will be interesting whether Profoto updates this Acute box, or more likely they may goose a version of the B2 to 500W/s.

    - Marc

  23. #273
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Yeah, the Quadra is one of the smallest set-ups out there ... especially out on the end of a portable pole. I'm not a fan of the mount either ... especially when using the plastic Quadra mount adapted with the regular EL mount to use the Rotaluxes. After a few failures, I bit the bullet and epoxied the two together.

    I have used the Profoto Acute B600 Lithium AIR pack for a while now, and it has become my portable "on-stick" choice. No TTL, but a small head with the regular Profoto mount, and 600W/s. I use it with both Rotalux Deep Octs. It will be interesting whether Profoto updates this Acute box, or more likely they may goose a version of the B2 to 500W/s.

    - Marc
    If Profoto updates the Acute B600 lithium Air or releases a new kit to utilize ODS technology to get fast sync from (Sony)focal plane shutter at full power, I'm all in! 600 w/s would be sweet, but having acces to the mount is worth it alone. I'm not sure if Elinchrom HS tech is proprietary, but I hope not. Oddly, the Quadra adapter seems to lock more firmly with a small twist of a ring to the EL side. Why couldn't Elinchrom utilize that feature on all quadra heads? Great lights, but really needs a more robust mount.

  24. #274
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    The Godox AD600 with H600 head is a great paint pole solution.
    Light, has an S mount for modifiers and 600Ws with HSS and TTL if needed.

    I use it for architecture just holding the head in hand for painting.

    I also like it because the pack can be mounted at the base of a light stand to help with weighting.
    David

    dmwfotos | davidmward.photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #275
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    The one thing that has always been to Elinchrom's advantage is the design of the modifiers and mount which places the flash tube into the modifier.
    The AD600 with its protruding flash tube gets close. The problem is that most S bracket speedring adapters are too deep.

    There has been some experimenting with an extender that will position the flash tube an inch or two further into the modifier. I'm interested to see how much benefit results from the extender. I expect it will make for some very nice light coming from modifiers.

  26. #276
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Does anyone know how we going to make our Godox systems work with Fuji. I have Ad360II units and I got a Godox portable for Sony which may have to switch that out.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  27. #277
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Guy,
    Godox will work now with Fuji in manual.
    For TTL capabilities it will require Godox coming up with a Fuji TTL X1 trigger.

    Fuji, as far as I know, has not done much with TTL so its not likely that there will be much incentive for Godox.

    I would love for Godox to add Fuji TTL. I loved my XT-1 and X-Pro 1 cameras.

  28. #278
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    The one thing that has always been to Elinchrom's advantage is the design of the modifiers and mount which places the flash tube into the modifier.
    The AD600 with it's protruding flash tube gets close. The problem is that most S bracket speed-ring adapters are too deep.

    There has been some experimenting with an extender that will position the flash tube an inch or two further into the modifier. I'm interested to see how much benefit results from the extender. I expect it will make for some very nice light coming from modifiers.
    Unfortunately, that possible Elinchrom advantage doesn't extend to the Quadra being discussed. The little Quadra heads cannot take a glass dome nor do the flash tubes protrude into the modifier. When you add the EL adapter to use the great Rotalux mods, the problem gets worse.

    The Profoto mount slides on the body of the strobe so you can place the light dome normally or deeper into the modifier to focus the light. Profoto was rightly criticized for its' flat glass front on the D1 and subsequent B1. At least you can get a glass dome for them which I found works almost as well as the old style domes I had on my Profoto Compacts. The main thing is being able to place the dome shallower or deeper into most modifiers.

    - Marc

  29. #279
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Marc,
    I could never figure out what prompted Profoto to design those heads with the flat glass and recessed flash tube. Even with a dome the flash tube is still buried inside the metal housing, right?

    I also didn't remember, until you mentioned it, that the Quadra head gave away the tube position for compactness.

    Makes me like the Godox H600 head even more. :-)
    David

    dmwfotos | davidmward.photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #280
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,391
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by dmward View Post
    Marc,
    I could never figure out what prompted Profoto to design those heads with the flat glass and recessed flash tube. Even with a dome the flash tube is still buried inside the metal housing, right?

    I also didn't remember, until you mentioned it, that the Quadra head gave away the tube position for compactness.

    Makes me like the Godox H600 head even more. :-)
    Actually, the Profoto D1 design wasn't as odd as I first suspected. The flat design with 77 reflector works well with umbrellas and shoot into modifiers. The easily mounted Profoto frosted glass dome designed for the D1/B1 replaces the flat front glass diffuser and does work, although I suspect it reduces output by 1/3 stop. The dome configuration protrudes into beauty dishes fine ... and works with shoot into modifiers, which again, allows you to slide the mod along the body of the strobe to alter the focus of the light, a major advantage in my experience using all sorts of strobes.

    One advantage of the flat front design that I like a lot is the grid modifiers for the D1/B1 which are small and slide over the front up snug so the strobe size barely changes ... all of which reduces size/bulk when on location or traveling.

    - Marc

  31. #281
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    My lights arrived yesterday. I'm still waiting on the hard case which should be in within the next week or 2.
    Very interested in the Priolite MBX500HS. Let us know how they've performed for you. I had Hensel lights before and like that mount much more than my Elinchrom Quadra. Yes, the Priolite will be heavier and perhaps not as useful in less than ideal weather, (fan cooled equals moisture intrusion entry point), but full power sync on my A7MK2 with no cords and a more robust mount might make up the difference. Their kit price seems to include a controller with a 1000 feet of range at $1399. That's a pretty good price. I would have jumped on the Kickstarter campaign had I known about this light.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #282
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    Very interested in the Priolite MBX500HS. Let us know how they've performed for you. I had Hensel lights before and like that mount much more than my Elinchrom Quadra. Yes, the Priolite will be heavier and perhaps not as useful in less than ideal weather, (fan cooled equals moisture intrusion entry point), but full power sync on my A7MK2 with no cords and a more robust mount might make up the difference. Their kit price seems to include a controller with a 1000 feet of range at $1399. That's a pretty good price. I would have jumped on the Kickstarter campaign had I known about this light.
    They lights perform great. If you're interested in the 500w lights then I'd look closely at the Ultras. You can still buy them (just not at Kickstarter prices) and they are really small. Less than a foot long from front to back. They light quality and consistency is excellent across the entire power range. I have not had any light sync issues and I've used them on both outdoor and indoor shoots. I own the 1000w models personally but I will more than likely add a couple of Ultras since they're easier to travel with.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  33. #283
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    They lights perform great. If you're interested in the 500w lights then I'd look closely at the Ultras. You can still buy them (just not at Kickstarter prices) and they are really small. Less than a foot long from front to back. They light quality and consistency is excellent across the entire power range. I have not had any light sync issues and I've used them on both outdoor and indoor shoots. I own the 1000w models personally but I will more than likely add a couple of Ultras since they're easier to travel with.
    Do you have any indication when these will be ready to ship and who the North American dealers are? Thanks.

  34. #284
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    Do you have any indication when these will be ready to ship and who the North American dealers are? Thanks.
    It sounds like Kickstarter backers should start to see theirs soon. I went from impulsively wanting to pick one up to picking three up during the last possible minute that the Kickstarter price was available, so I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival. I've gotten the impression that they're backordered into November or December based on promotional emails from Priolite, and I also get the impression that they're just self-distributing at this point rather than having a network of dealers in the US.

  35. #285
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlamott View Post
    It sounds like Kickstarter backers should start to see theirs soon. I went from impulsively wanting to pick one up to picking three up during the last possible minute that the Kickstarter price was available, so I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival. I've gotten the impression that they're backordered into November or December based on promotional emails from Priolite, and I also get the impression that they're just self-distributing at this point rather than having a network of dealers in the US.
    Makes perfect sense... If there's no glitches on performance and the specs are accurate, then they won't need dealers. Thanks for the heads up!

  36. #286
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

    Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    Do you have any indication when these will be ready to ship and who the North American dealers are? Thanks.
    There are two authorized dealers in the USA. I generally deal more with the one in California but there's another one in Colorado.

    I believe there are limited numbers of Ultras that have begun to ship late last month with more production happening through the end of the year. Keep in mind that Priolite is a relatively small company and it takes about 3-5 weeks for products to ship from Germany to arrive in the United States then onto the customer. This is due to the need to clear both German and US customs. They will function check the lights in the USA prior to shipping them to you as well though.

    If youd prefer another product you can receive them potentially faster but id need to verify that. I think the Ultras are worth the wait though.

    http://priolite.us/
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •