The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

SamSS

Does anyone having problem with making power setting change from X1T transmitter when in HSS with AD360?
Once in HSS, I've to manually dial the power changes on the flash but not from the transmitter.

Sample @ f2, 1/2 power HSS, 1/800s

dmward

Does anyone having problem with making power setting change from X1T transmitter when in HSS with AD360?
Once in HSS, I've to manually dial the power changes on the flash but not from the transmitter.

Sample @ f2, 1/2 power HSS, 1/800s
My recollection is that the light has to be placed in H mode on the light, then the power settings can be changed from the X1T. And it will fire at the higher FP sync shutter speeds.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm going to order the AD360II tomorrow and than I may get a 600 down the road. 2 685s are enough I think. This system is getting really nice

dmward

I'm going to order the AD360II tomorrow and than I may get a 600 down the road. 2 685s are enough I think. This system is getting really nice
The 600s will go to 1/256 which is 8EV less than 600Ws which is 2.5Ws. That should cover most requirements. :)

iiiNelson

Question, do the Godox/Cheetah/Flashpoint 360 lights use the Bowens S mount too or a different one? What are people using for light modifiers?

iiiNelson

Bowens S mount would be preferred. Might get a speedlight set once the 860II is released. I will be testing the Priolite Hotsync lights within the next week or two.

dmward

Question, do the Godox/Cheetah/Flashpoint 360 lights use the Bowens S mount too or a different one? What are people using for light modifiers?
The native 360 modifier mount is the same as the Quantum. i.e. the tube type mount that slides around the bare bulb and is clamped between the bulb and the head.

Preferable is the Godox/Cheetah bracket which comes in either an S mount or an Elinchrom mount. The head of the 360 slides into the bracket and is clamped in place just as a speedlite head.

I have several of them and haven't used a native modifier on a 360 since I got them.

Guy Mancuso

I ordered the AD360II-C TTL unit today. Should be all set now. One little niggle the TT685s could use a little more power. I'm sure the 860 is the same. It's me I have to get used too shooting higher ISO too. Old school

dmward

I ordered the AD360II-C TTL unit today. Should be all set now. One little niggle the TT685s could use a little more power. I'm sure the 860 is the same. It's me I have to get used too shooting higher ISO too. Old school
Guy,
All the speedlites seem to be about the same power output.
I think its the ability to get a capacitor into the form factor.

Guy Mancuso

I'm afraid you are correct. I'm really stinking happy with this system. I can do a lot of different things . I'll get a 600 unit down the road. That would keep me out of renting strobes. I would have plenty of power for a big octagon

ShooterSteve

I'll get excited when Profoto releases a TTL Air Remote for the Sony Alfa. I have too much invested in Profoto gear to switch. Hopefully they will see the potential market soon.

dmward

I'll get excited when Profoto releases a TTL Air Remote for the Sony Alfa. I have too much invested in Profoto gear to switch. Hopefully they will see the potential market soon.
Or you can get adapters to fit the speed rings. :grin:

It doesn't surprise me that many of the main stream lighting suppliers have just been gliding along, presuming that their customer base is a complacent as are they.

fotografz

Or you can get adapters to fit the speed rings. :grin:

It doesn't surprise me that many of the main stream lighting suppliers have just been gliding along, presuming that their customer base is a complacent as are they.
Adapters for Profoto mounts don't allow the modifier to slide on the strobe body for different light focus which is a major feature of Profoto, and in some cases adapters do not allow the light to project into the modifier far enough.

In the case of Profoto, they hardly have been complacent ... B1 and B2 TTL and HSS ability and the AIR radio with control at the camera, and really high sync speeds. They just need to get some Sony TTL compatibility going for those who desire that feature.

Personally, I am less interested TTL/HSS and tend to favor simplicity of operation, continuity, stability, color consistency, reliability, and availability.

The systems being discussed sound very nice, and it is good to see them innovating new approaches at more reasonable prices. IMO, really no need to disparage other choices that full-fill different needs.

BTW, the best discovery I've made for an on-camera Sony mount speed-light has been the Metz I bought for my last wedding. Very consistent exposures, simple lit controls, and excellent quality of light.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

I sold all my dynalites. I need power I'll rent but these put out a lot of juice and fast. Only thing there missing is modeling lights. I'm so freaking sick of dealing with power cords and the weight and bulk. Old dog with new legs. Adapt or go home I say. Lol

Guy Mancuso

very cool. Just got the AD360II in canon and no problem with my Sony transmitter . Now I want to replace my other AD360 or sell both kits and get the 600 watt unit. I have a job next week shooting environmental portraits. I'm taking this and the 2 685s. Now have to say I'm not the biggest TTL fan but here is the thing. I can put my main on let's say full , hair light unit at half and fill at half. Okay you can do that I in manual mode anyway but here is the bonus I can leave my setting like that all day long shooting in TTL I can change apertures without going to the packs and making power changes. This is huge. Your shooting a portrait at f8 let's say than you decide I'll shoot one at F2 well with TTL you have to do nothing your totally on the fly and can change all you want. You only have to stop for a different lighting change if say now you want full power on hair. The other thing you can mix and match different units without problems as long as you don't ask it to go beyond its max power.

David HSS is auto on the 685s but this it looks like I have to do it at the head I think. Have not tried it yet with camera

Guy Mancuso

Anyone want a AD360 kit let me know I want to upgrade again. Actually I have 2 kits I could sell. I want the TTL unit. Great deal on two kits.

dmward

very cool. Just got the AD360II in canon and no problem with my Sony transmitter . Now I want to replace my other AD360 or sell both kits and get the 600 watt unit. I have a job next week shooting environmental portraits. I'm taking this and the 2 685s. Now have to say I'm not the biggest TTL fan but here is the thing. I can put my main on let's say full , hair light unit at half and fill at half. Okay you can do that I in manual mode anyway but here is the bonus I can leave my setting like that all day long shooting in TTL I can change apertures without going to the packs and making power changes. This is huge. Your shooting a portrait at f8 let's say than you decide I'll shoot one at F2 well with TTL you have to do nothing your totally on the fly and can change all you want. You only have to stop for a different lighting change if say now you want full power on hair. The other thing you can mix and match different units without problems as long as you don't ask it to go beyond its max power.

David HSS is auto on the 685s but this it looks like I have to do it at the head I think. Have not tried it yet with camera
The 360II, should work the same way the 600TTL and 685 work when going to HSS. Automatically. The only reason one has to set the H mode on the old light is because if doesn't have the TTL firmware.

Also, with TTL for portraits start thinking in terms of Flash Exposure Compensation. I used to do it with Canon 600EX-RT units. Main 0FEC, fill -.3 to -1 FEC. Hair light(s) 0, + or - FEC depending on how I want it to look. The TTL means that dark skinned, clothed people are going to get more light, light skinned, clothed people are going to get less. Keeps everything right in the middle of the histogram if you've set the lighting up that way.

Also, remember that Sony will use the spot metering mode to do TTL metering. And, if you want you can use Flash Exposure Lock to keep a few exposures consistent.