The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

iiiNelson

Priolite Ultra is coming soon. http://prioliteultra.com/
So I found out quite a bit more about the lights today. For obvious reasons (NDA) I can't say anything about them until they're officially unveiled on the 4th of July but it will be an exciting addition to the Priolite family of lights for sure.

Not to be overly enthusiastic but I think what'll be unveiled next week will benefit many here. I'm definitely happy that they're supporting Sony (and most of the top brands) cameras natively.

rjp85

Priolite Ultra is coming soon. PRIOLITE ULTRA IS COMING
Wow, do you have any idea what this is all about?

I have my two 500 units, and they work perfectly. I wanted to pull the trigger on two 300 units to add to my kit, but now it looks like I have to wait and see what the heck this announcement will be. I probably shouldn't wait, and just get on with my original plan. There's always going to be new exciting stuff around the corner, you can't keep up with the latest and greatest.

EDIT: Looks like I was too late with my post, lol. Thanks for the info.

iiiNelson

Wow, do you have any idea what this is all about?

I have my two 500 units, and they work perfectly. I wanted to pull the trigger on two 300 units to add to my kit, but now it looks like I have to wait and see what the heck this announcement will be. I probably shouldn't wait, and just get on with my original plan. There's always going to be new exciting stuff around the corner, you can't keep up with the latest and greatest.

EDIT: Looks like I was too late with my post, lol. Thanks for the info.
Patience is a virtue... I think you may want to wait just a bit.

iiiNelson

Thanks, I'll have to wait and see. 6 days ain't so bad. :)
Nope... It's not bad at all.

Oh yeah and congrats on the lights. I received mine about 2 weeks ago now. I'll be doing a rolling review of the MBX1000HS from a user's perspective. I have a "first look" at the MBX500HS lights on my blog.

rjp85

Is it possible to say whether these new products are compatible with the current hotsync products, so you could mix and match the current 1000, 500, 300 units with the new products and everything works with the existing remotes?

Feel free to ignore this question if it gives away too much info.

iiiNelson

Is it possible to say whether these new products are compatible with the current hotsync products, so you could mix and match the current 1000, 500, 300 units with the new products and everything works with the existing remotes?

Feel free to ignore this question if it gives away too much info.
Hmmm can't say too much about specifics... I own the 1000w units as a Priolite Ambassador (paid for out of my own pockets to promote what I believe to be the best lighting system for Sony when it comes down to several key metrics for how I shoot) and the Sony remote due to being a Sony shooter. I'm confident to say that Priolite is further improving their lighting system.

I think you will be happily surprised to see what Monday brings.

fotografz

So I found out quite a bit more about the lights today. For obvious reasons (NDA) I can't say anything about them until they're officially unveiled on the 4th of July but it will be an exciting addition to the Priolite family of lights for sure.

Not to be overly enthusiastic but I think what'll be unveiled next week will benefit many here. I'm definitely happy that they're supporting Sony (and most of the top brands) cameras natively.
It's the 4th of July!

What news can you share?

- Marc

iiiNelson

It's the 4th of July!

What news can you share?

- Marc
So the cat is out the bag and I can speak a bit more freely about the Priolite MBX500HS Ultra. There's a promotional video in the link attached.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/priolite/priolite-ultra-1-8000th-flash-sync-compact-li-ion

For a limited time early adopters can purchase the lights for a significant discount through Kickstarter. Currently the lowest priced package is running about the same as the 300ws MBX-HS versions.

Key differences with the MBX500HS Ultra are the following.

A) Significantly smaller in size and lighter in weight due to updated internal electronics. I've been speaking with one of the testers and he stated that two Ultras could probably fit in a backpack.
B) Improved battery life due to updated Li-Ion battery (final specs aren't completed yet as they're still optimizing)
C) Improved pricing for early adopters. For reference you could get two lights for less than the cost of one Profoto B1.

The lights are still compatible with the same accessories due to the universal mount. The lights are still universally compatible with all universal or brand specific RC/RC-HS controllers. The lights will still seamlessly integrate with existing Priolite strobes.

***Full disclosure I'm a Priolite Brand Ambassador but I would never promote anything I don't use and/or wouldn't own myself.

Rather than bash other competing products, I choose to speak to the merits of the Priolite system as I feel it can stand on it's own merits without any caveat. There are some different ways various companies choose to go about solving the same problems. Priolite's method works best for what I shoot. It's the only monolight on the market that I'm aware of that allows you to sync at any shutter speed available on your Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Pentax camera of choice and at any power level available up to 1000ws. It is also the only monolight with power options up to 1000ws I'm aware of that provides a user swappable Li-ion battery that allows one to shoot on location or plugged into a wall outlet like a traditional studio strobe out the box without need to purchase additional kits.***

fotografz

So the cat is out the bag and I can speak a bit more freely about the Priolite MBX500HS Ultra. There's a promotional video in the link attached.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/priolite/priolite-ultra-1-8000th-flash-sync-compact-li-ion

For a limited time early adopters can purchase the lights for a significant discount through Kickstarter. Currently the lowest priced package is running about the same as the 300ws MBX-HS versions.

Key differences with the MBX500HS Ultra are the following.

A) Significantly smaller in size and lighter in weight due to updated internal electronics. I've been speaking with one of the testers and he stated that two Ultras could probably fit in a backpack.
B) Improved battery life due to updated Li-Ion battery (final specs aren't completed yet as they're still optimizing)
C) Improved pricing for early adopters. For reference you could get two lights for less than the cost of one Profoto B1.

The lights are still compatible with the same accessories due to the universal mount. The lights are still universally compatible with all universal or brand specific RC/RC-HS controllers. The lights will still seamlessly integrate with existing Priolite strobes.

***Full disclosure I'm a Priolite Brand Ambassador but I would never promote anything I don't use and/or wouldn't own myself.

Rather than bash other competing products, I choose to speak to the merits of the Priolite system as I feel it can stand on it's own merits without any caveat. There are some different ways various companies choose to go about solving the same problems. Priolite's method works best for what I shoot. It's the only monolight on the market that I'm aware of that allows you to sync at any shutter speed available on your Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Pentax camera of choice and at any power level available up to 1000ws. It is also the only monolight with power options up to 1000ws I'm aware of that provides a user swappable Li-ion battery that allows one to shoot on location or plugged into a wall outlet like a traditional studio strobe out the box without need to purchase additional kits.***
SOLD!

I'm game. I'll outfit my downsized Michigan studio set-up with these, and send the Profoto/Hensel stuff I have here down to my bigger Florida place.

I'll start with two units, a transmitter, and any accessory or cords needed to plug-in for AC use in studio (unless they are standard cords of which I have a zillion).

Please advise on pricing, and wether they will they have bundles like the other companies?

Are there replacement Lithium batteries for location work?

What is the warranty and service set-up in the USA?

You can definitely see the Hensel influence … taken steps further.

Contact me on how to get this going. I have a job on July 30th where I could really use these.

- Marc

iiiNelson

SOLD!

I'm game. I'll outfit my downsized Michigan studio set-up with these, and send the Profoto/Hensel stuff I have here down to my bigger Florida place.

I'll start with two units, a transmitter, and any accessory or cords needed to plug-in for AC use in studio (unless they are standard cords of which I have a zillion).

Please advise on pricing, and wether they will they have bundles like the other companies?

Are there replacement Lithium batteries for location work?

What is the warranty and service set-up in the USA?

You can definitely see the Hensel influence … taken steps further.

Contact me on how to get this going. I have a job on July 30th where I could really use these.

- Marc
Marc,

They have various bundles available through the Kickstarter campaign. Link is here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/priolite/priolite-ultra-1-8000th-flash-sync-compact-li-ion

I will shoot you Priolite US an email about a few additional options to see if they can ship you a set prior to your shoot or maybe a demo kit but I think these the Ultras are expected to be delivered in September.

The promotional kit prices are first come, first served with the cheapest package being $799 for the light, battery, and cables. Packages go up from there depending on what you want. All Priolite strobes come with a 2 year warranty. The battery charging cable is included. The same cable that you use to charge can be used with the battery in the unit and plugged into a wall or to charge an additional battery while you're cable free. The batteries charge to ~80% in 2 hours and to full capacity in 3 hours. Additional batteries can be purchased separately. You can find Priolite accessories and lights here - PRIOLITE NORTH AMERICA.

The Profoto adapter can be found there as well as well as the full priced Ultras which will go for $1399 so you'll end up saving almost half by buying early.

Last edited:

elitegroup

love the compact portability of the new Priolite Ultra, any chance this particular unit might have future compatibility with the Hasselblad X1D? Prefer the smaller size of the ultra compared to the larger leaf shutter units I'm hoping the 1000w strobes will also be updated to a smaller body shell in future iterations. Hoping to place an order for the Ultra asap, Cheers

iiiNelson

love the compact portability of the new Priolite Ultra, any chance this particular unit might have future compatibility with the Hasselblad X1D? Prefer the smaller size of the ultra compared to the larger leaf shutter units I'm hoping the 1000w strobes will also be updated to a smaller body shell in future iterations. Hoping to place an order for the Ultra asap, Cheers
I don't know of any current plans to put the 1000w unit into the Ultra packaging as they are already newer than the older MBX500HS lights.

For leaf shutter lenses I recommend going with the non-HS versions that should sync to the 1/2000 max speed of the X1D. None of this is set in stone yet as the camera isn't released yet but there are those that have worked with Phase One systems without issue.

The HS lights are designed with focal plane shutter use in mind. The non-HS lights are optimized for leaf shutters and have a shorter flash duration.

rjp85

There's a chance it's already compatible, because the Hasselblad uses the Nikon flash shoe (I think?), so maybe the Nikon Priolite Remote would work, but don't take my word for it. I'm just speculating. I believe the X1D is compatible with Nikon speedlights.

I'm tempted to use the Kickstarter to get 2 x 500HS Ultras for $1,598, but I don't think I can wait till September. Also, these types of things are usually delayed, so I could be waiting until October.

I will be buying at least one in the future (at full price, but oh well), but for now I'm adding two 300ws units to my two 500ws units. :)

EDIT: I forgot about the focal shutter vs leaf shutter, so I'm most likely wrong about the Hassy.

iiiNelson

There's a chance it's already compatible, because the Hasselblad uses the Nikon flash shoe (I think?), so maybe the Nikon Priolite Remote would work, but don't take my word for it. I'm just speculating. I believe the X1D is compatible with Nikon speedlights.

I'm tempted to use the Kickstarter to get 2 x 500HS Ultras for $1,598, but I don't think I can wait till September. Also, these types of things are usually delayed, so I could be waiting until October.

I will be buying at least one in the future (at full price, but oh well), but for now I'm adding two 300ws units to my two 500ws units. :)
Sounds good.

dmward

Sony FA-WRC1M Wireless Radio Commander
Anybody found any details about this?
The brief description on the B&H site says it supports 5 Groups. That suggests that Sony is going to extend its Group feature from 3 to 5.

Hopefully that will add some functionality that can be leveraged by Godox and others.

iiiNelson

Sony FA-WRC1M Wireless Radio Commander
Anybody found any details about this?
The brief description on the B&H site says it supports 5 Groups. That suggests that Sony is going to extend its Group feature from 3 to 5.

Hopefully that will add some functionality that can be leveraged by Godox and others.
I assume it only works with Sony branded flashes.

dmward

I presume so.
What I'm hoping is that Sony will update the firmware in the A7 series cameras to accommodate the 5 Groups. That will provide Godox, and others, with more resources for expanding capabilities in their controllers.

iiiNelson

I presume so.
What I'm hoping is that Sony will update the firmware in the A7 series cameras to accommodate the 5 Groups. That will provide Godox, and others, with more resources for expanding capabilities in their controllers.
I thought the Phottix and Elinchrom controllers already supported up to 5 groups. My Priolite lights do up to 4 but I only own 2 for now.