The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Alpha MIS Strobe/Flash Options

dmward

They probably do.
The Godox also support up to 5 groups.
The Sony controller is extending the 5 group support for the wireless flash setting. Not sure what benefits that offers. Godox does not want to have the camera set in the wireless mode for its operations.

Mjlamott

Marc,

They have various bundles available through the Kickstarter campaign. Link is here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/priolite/priolite-ultra-1-8000th-flash-sync-compact-li-ion
I'm really happy to have been clicking through here on a whim, because this light is just what I have been looking for as a 645z shooter dying for some HSS options. I'd seen the bigger units before, but the size was off putting to me, and I also have a couple of Einsteins that I've been very pleased with besides the lack of HSS and the convoluted menus on the cyber commander. I backed the Kickstarter for one light and a remote thinking that I could use it alone for outdoor ambient light shooting, and then use it with the Einsteins inside.

The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder if I should dump my Einsteins and buy a second Priolite. I figured I could mix the two brands and just trigger one or the other via the optical slave, but that's not exactly as foolproof as using a remote that controls all of the lights. Is this dumb and asking for annoyance down the road? Should I just purge the Einsteins and run one brand for simplicity? I'll also have to futz with adapting my Buff modifiers to fit the Priolite, but that's not the end of the world.

fotografz

I'm really happy to have been clicking through here on a whim, because this light is just what I have been looking for as a 645z shooter dying for some HSS options. I'd seen the bigger units before, but the size was off putting to me, and I also have a couple of Einsteins that I've been very pleased with besides the lack of HSS and the convoluted menus on the cyber commander. I backed the Kickstarter for one light and a remote thinking that I could use it alone for outdoor ambient light shooting, and then use it with the Einsteins inside.

The more I think about it, though, the more I wonder if I should dump my Einsteins and buy a second Priolite. I figured I could mix the two brands and just trigger one or the other via the optical slave, but that's not exactly as foolproof as using a remote that controls all of the lights. Is this dumb and asking for annoyance down the road? Should I just purge the Einsteins and run one brand for simplicity? I'll also have to futz with adapting my Buff modifiers to fit the Priolite, but that's not the end of the world.
Based on long term experience over decades of work, my advice would be to consolidate under one system.

I currently run two systems (Profoto and Hensel), but that is an exception because Hensel includes Profoto AIR receivers in all the Hensel lighting I currently use (Porty 1200L, and a few mono-heads)... this includes control with the Profoto AIR Transceiver from the camera. Hensel makes some unique heads and modifiers that also helps make it work for me ... otherwise it is a PITA to maintain mods for two different mounts.

While optical triggers typically work well in close situations like a home studio, they get jinky when demands ramp up ... like placing a hidden light in an adjacent room to light it up, or where there are others using flash like an event, or if you have a light buried inside a modifier that's at a distance. The thought is ... why limit yourself?

Lastly, these new lights are state of the art in terms of Hyper-Sync ... and are especially relevant because your 645z can be used up to 1/4000 without compromising the level of light needed.

I'm not sure, but even if the other PCB lights were triggered optically, would they Hyper-Sync with the Priolites? More tech-know folks may be able to answer that.

- Marc

Mjlamott

Yeah, you touched on a few points that I had thought about. I'd recently taken some photos of a newly renovated rental property, and I was stashing lights in adjacent rooms to make everything work; optical triggering probably wouldn't have worked. And no, I wouldn't be able to use hypersync on any light but the Priolite. I should probably just take advantage of the good Kickstarter pricing and get two to start.

iiiNelson

Sorry for the delay but I was out of the country all last week. Thanks for supporting us and I know you'll really like the product. They showed new picture of the location backpack today that has foam inserts for two Ultras and accessories.

To answer some of your questions and give you feedback based on my experience with both Priolites (and previously owning PCB Einseins) I concur with what Marc stated. Yes I'm somewhat a biased source but to be clear I didn't receive my gear for free as it was paid for out of my pocket after testing it. Nothing like voting with your wallet to stand behind a product for instance I know of some other people that promote other brands of lights and shoot with Profoto themselves for a variety of reasons. It's much easier to use one system and you know that you'll have 100% functioning units with your Priolite remote.

A couple of things that may pose a problem for how you work are being able to control the lights from the camera, the slower flash duration of the Priolites (~1/200 sec) compared to the Einsteins (~1/8,000-1/13,000 sec max) which use IGBT technology (like speedlights or shorter duration strobes that pulse light if it has HSS capability), ability to use the Priolite HotSync lights at any available power level/available sync speed, having a more sturdy modifier mount whether you choose to use Priolite, Hensel, Bowens S, or Profoto accessories. Also the ability to be cordless on location with monolights that provide up to 1000ws of power is a huge plus if you don't want to deal with power packs and heads.

All of these are benefits of remaining with Priolite and there are videos of another Priolite Ambassador, Alex Munoz, using Priolite 1000's with the Pentax system when he shot with it prior to going back to Phase One XF and Sony A7RII.

rjp85

I have 4 AlienBees and 4 Priolites. You can have both, but I wouldn't use both at the same time. I have the Bees as backup.

I've switched all my speedrings and reflectors to Bowens S mount, and you know what? They will also mount on the AlienBees! The Bees reflector holder clamps down on the Bowens stuff even better and tighter than it clamps down on the AlienBees stuff, which is really funny to me, and also very convenient.

Any softbox or reflector I mount on my Priolites will still mount on my old AlienBees.

I have the following speedrings and reflectors that are compatible with Priolites, and will also clamp down on the AlienBees:

- Impact speedring for Bowens: Impact Speed Ring for Impact, Bowens S, Westcott SR-IMP B&H
- Cheap but good Photoflex standard 7 inch Bowens style reflector for grids (I have 4 of these, they are cheap and well made, the Bowens brand is $101): Photoflex Standard 7" Reflector for StarFlash SB-SF7SR B&H
- Bowens High performance reflector, used to shoot light through frames with fabric: Bowens High Performance Reflector for Bowens (12.5")

All this stuff works with both brands of lights. Just wanted to throw that out there.

dmward

Elinchrom now has a video showing how the Hi-Sync controller works on Sony.
Nothing new, just a good overview for anyone interested in Elinchrom Hi-Sync with their Sony cameras.

HERE

fotografz

Profoto AIR/Sony is very good news!

I use B1s, and a B2 kit for mobile work. Especially the B2 kit with the A7R-II when smaller size is preferred.

Sounds like the D1s will not be supported ... nor my older Acute B2-600 pack. But that's okay as those are always in studio anyway.

- Marc

iiiNelson

Yeah I assume there is a technological gap for the D1 as they aren't supported in the Canon or Nikon Air-TTL remotes either. In either case the D2 looks like a huge step up anyway and I wonder if we will see a 1000w version of the B1 released.

jdphoto

I think Sony has established itself as a viable alternative in regards to shooting with strobes, as can be seen with Profoto and Elinchrom's adaptation. Although, I do find Profoto's mount to be outstanding, the mono lights are too heavy for my style of shooting, which is often just mounting on a painters pole for environmental portraits. The 250watt version just doesn't have the juice either and if you want HSS it further reduces power. I tried the PB E640 and it was adequate, but i needed faster synch without reducing power. I also tried the Elinchrom EL Skyport HS for Sony and was impressed so far. I paired it with their speed light,( which has a longer duration) and ELB 400,but allows any shutter speed on the A7 cameras at full power! You can adjust the ODS and there's no perceptible trigger delay with the new firmware from Elinchrom (v 1.10). The light is tiny, but has 450 w/s and when using my 55mm 1.8, i get great shallow DOF while balancing ambient beautifully with a Rotalux deep octa. The kit is insanely portable with great range. I'm just not a big fan of the mount. I only shoot manual, so TTL is of no concern, but there's always that option if needed in shoe mounts. The attached pics are low res for the web.

Last edited:

fotografz

Yeah, the Quadra is one of the smallest set-ups out there ... especially out on the end of a portable pole. I'm not a fan of the mount either ... especially when using the plastic Quadra mount adapted with the regular EL mount to use the Rotaluxes. After a few failures, I bit the bullet and epoxied the two together.

I have used the Profoto Acute B600 Lithium AIR pack for a while now, and it has become my portable "on-stick" choice. No TTL, but a small head with the regular Profoto mount, and 600W/s. I use it with both Rotalux Deep Octs. It will be interesting whether Profoto updates this Acute box, or more likely they may goose a version of the B2 to 500W/s.

- Marc

jdphoto

Yeah, the Quadra is one of the smallest set-ups out there ... especially out on the end of a portable pole. I'm not a fan of the mount either ... especially when using the plastic Quadra mount adapted with the regular EL mount to use the Rotaluxes. After a few failures, I bit the bullet and epoxied the two together.

I have used the Profoto Acute B600 Lithium AIR pack for a while now, and it has become my portable "on-stick" choice. No TTL, but a small head with the regular Profoto mount, and 600W/s. I use it with both Rotalux Deep Octs. It will be interesting whether Profoto updates this Acute box, or more likely they may goose a version of the B2 to 500W/s.

- Marc
If Profoto updates the Acute B600 lithium Air or releases a new kit to utilize ODS technology to get fast sync from (Sony)focal plane shutter at full power, I'm all in! 600 w/s would be sweet, but having acces to the mount is worth it alone. I'm not sure if Elinchrom HS tech is proprietary, but I hope not. Oddly, the Quadra adapter seems to lock more firmly with a small twist of a ring to the EL side. Why couldn't Elinchrom utilize that feature on all quadra heads? Great lights, but really needs a more robust mount.

dmward

The Godox AD600 with H600 head is a great paint pole solution.
Light, has an S mount for modifiers and 600Ws with HSS and TTL if needed.

I use it for architecture just holding the head in hand for painting.

I also like it because the pack can be mounted at the base of a light stand to help with weighting.

dmward

The one thing that has always been to Elinchrom's advantage is the design of the modifiers and mount which places the flash tube into the modifier.
The AD600 with its protruding flash tube gets close. The problem is that most S bracket speedring adapters are too deep.

There has been some experimenting with an extender that will position the flash tube an inch or two further into the modifier. I'm interested to see how much benefit results from the extender. I expect it will make for some very nice light coming from modifiers.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Does anyone know how we going to make our Godox systems work with Fuji. I have Ad360II units and I got a Godox portable for Sony which may have to switch that out.

dmward

Guy,
Godox will work now with Fuji in manual.
For TTL capabilities it will require Godox coming up with a Fuji TTL X1 trigger.

Fuji, as far as I know, has not done much with TTL so its not likely that there will be much incentive for Godox.

I would love for Godox to add Fuji TTL. I loved my XT-1 and X-Pro 1 cameras.

fotografz

The one thing that has always been to Elinchrom's advantage is the design of the modifiers and mount which places the flash tube into the modifier.
The AD600 with it's protruding flash tube gets close. The problem is that most S bracket speed-ring adapters are too deep.

There has been some experimenting with an extender that will position the flash tube an inch or two further into the modifier. I'm interested to see how much benefit results from the extender. I expect it will make for some very nice light coming from modifiers.
Unfortunately, that possible Elinchrom advantage doesn't extend to the Quadra being discussed. The little Quadra heads cannot take a glass dome nor do the flash tubes protrude into the modifier. When you add the EL adapter to use the great Rotalux mods, the problem gets worse.

The Profoto mount slides on the body of the strobe so you can place the light dome normally or deeper into the modifier to focus the light. Profoto was rightly criticized for its' flat glass front on the D1 and subsequent B1. At least you can get a glass dome for them which I found works almost as well as the old style domes I had on my Profoto Compacts. The main thing is being able to place the dome shallower or deeper into most modifiers.

- Marc

dmward

Marc,
I could never figure out what prompted Profoto to design those heads with the flat glass and recessed flash tube. Even with a dome the flash tube is still buried inside the metal housing, right?

I also didn't remember, until you mentioned it, that the Quadra head gave away the tube position for compactness.

Makes me like the Godox H600 head even more. :)

fotografz

Marc,
I could never figure out what prompted Profoto to design those heads with the flat glass and recessed flash tube. Even with a dome the flash tube is still buried inside the metal housing, right?

I also didn't remember, until you mentioned it, that the Quadra head gave away the tube position for compactness.

Makes me like the Godox H600 head even more. :)
Actually, the Profoto D1 design wasn't as odd as I first suspected. The flat design with 77º reflector works well with umbrellas and shoot into modifiers. The easily mounted Profoto frosted glass dome designed for the D1/B1 replaces the flat front glass diffuser and does work, although I suspect it reduces output by 1/3 stop. The dome configuration protrudes into beauty dishes fine ... and works with shoot into modifiers, which again, allows you to slide the mod along the body of the strobe to alter the focus of the light, a major advantage in my experience using all sorts of strobes.

One advantage of the flat front design that I like a lot is the grid modifiers for the D1/B1 which are small and slide over the front up snug so the strobe size barely changes ... all of which reduces size/bulk when on location or traveling.

- Marc