The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony Speedlights/Strobes with HSS

engardeknave

Not Available
I am going absolutely insane trying to find good information about Sony HSS lights. I've been crawling through various threads and searching Ebay, but the details I need never seem to be there. This might be harder than researching medium format equipment.

My first goal is to find a transmitter/receiver combo that will provide HSS capability with an A7RII and a strobe. I don't know if I definitely need new strobes or not, but if I do, I need to figure out which options will work for me.

My second goal would be to find a speedlight that will provide HSS with Sony, hopefully compatible with the same transmitter. I plan to probably get two speedlights.

If anyone knows what my options are and can give me some specific info, I'd appreciate it.

iiiNelson

I read that entire thread.
The sticky thread provided several options to include Sony branded speed lights and their wireless system coming out. Nissin is another option. Metz has another option. Phottix Mitros is another option. Godox/Cheetah/Adorama is the last option.

dmward

My first goal is to find a transmitter/receiver combo that will provide HSS capability with an A7RII and a strobe. I don't know if I definitely need new strobes or not, but if I do, I need to figure out which options will work for me.
Its impossible to answer this question without knowing which strobes you currently own.
Its also important for you to differentiate in your mind between HSS, H mode, and "HyperSync".

My second goal would be to find a speedlight that will provide HSS with Sony, hopefully compatible with the same transmitter. I plan to probably get two speedlights.
That will, naturally depend on the answer to your first objective based on the strobes you currently own.

If anyone knows what my options are and can give me some specific info, I'd appreciate it.
This starts with knowing what you have currently, and if you want HSS, H mode or "HyperSync" as your final solution for the strobes.

engardeknave

Not Available
Something like an additional 8+ hours of research brought me to the Godox Wistro AD600 TTL (Bowens mount). There are Bowens and Godox mount versions. Also TTL and non-TTL. The latter is less expensive, but I'm not sure if it supports HSS. This is triggered by the Godox X1T-S (Sony). As of now there are a few kits one can order from China. It looks like the unit I ordered may need a firmware upgrade before it works with Sony. I suppose I'll find out. I can get the theoretically compatible Godox TT685S later if/when I need a few speedlights.

dmward

Something like an additional 8+ hours of research brought me to the Godox Wistro AD600 TTL (Bowens mount). There are Bowens and Godox mount versions. Also TTL and non-TTL. The latter is less expensive, but I'm not sure if it supports HSS. This is triggered by the Godox X1T-S (Sony). As of now there are a few kits one can order from China. It looks like the unit I ordered may need a firmware upgrade before it works with Sony. I suppose I'll find out. I can get the theoretically compatible Godox TT685S later if/when I need a few speedlights.
Since you are in the Dallas area, I suggest you go to the Cheetahstand site, look at what Edward is offering. They are Cheetahstand branded Godox. Then arrange to go over to his location and look at them and talk to him.

engardeknave

Not Available
I just looked. All their products are indeed all the same Chinese stuff that's available on Ebay, but branded and marked up 400%.

dmward

I just looked. All their products are indeed all the same Chinese stuff that's available on Ebay, but branded and marked up 400%.
Not sure where you're getting the 400% markup. There is an earlier version of the AD360 that is less. The current version II has TTL firmware as well as some internal improvements.

The AD600 comes in 4 versions, TTL and M in either Bowens or a Godox proprietary mount.

Adorama and Cheetah are offering branded versions of the newly released lights with US warranty service. Without increasing the price from the same models offered on eBay. Unless you've found a source I can't find.

If you want and/or need higher Ws HSS capabilities these are probably the best option. The only others that I'm aware of at the moment are priolite and Phottix. I think Profoto has said that they are going to support Sony sometime this year.

Last edited: