The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

jfirneno

Everyone's favorite lunatics at SAR were chattering about an SR5 level rumor predicting a professional level A9 camera soon. SR5 means absolute certainty. Normally I'd just attribute this to a slow patch at SAR and nothing else. But maybe not. Truth be told, I think Sony has finally assembled all the pieces (High ISO, very good AF, high resolution, pretty good lens line-up) needed to launch a pro camera. Of course, chances are this is 6 months premature, but wouldn't it be something if they did launch a big old $4,000 pro model. I wouldn't buy it. But I would be glad that I could. See now I'm a rumormonger too!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have not had a chance to even think about it between getting both GM lenses this week and a A6300 I'm too broke to even look. Lol

Truth is I'm pretty damn happy with my A7rII right now.

jfirneno

Have not had a chance to even think about it between getting both GM lenses this week and a A6300 I'm too broke to even look. Lol

Truth is I'm pretty damn happy with my A7rII right now.
Yeah, it's getting harder to lust after the next camera when the one in your own hand is already pretty darn great. But it's still fun to speculate.

Annna T

They started the rumors concerning a coming A7r3 or A9 about 4 days ago. And I was wondering when it would spill in here too. Apparently this Sony forum is becoming slow, since that took several days.

The first rumor was issued on the 4th April and was only SR3. The "lunatic" insinuated it would gain a 70-80 MB sensor. I thought the MB number was the bait. But I had the same reaction back in 2013 when a full frame E-mount was rumored, so I could well be wrong on that count too.

Anyway, I'm not interested in such a resolution. It would eat too much resources both in storage and processing : my new computer is already striving with the 42 MB of the A7. And I'm perfectly happy with the A7r2. I'm more interested in new lenses than in new bodies.

fotografz

Given Sony's track record of pumping out new models, I think this is entirely possible.

The "new car smell" has hardly worn off one, when the next one is in the showroom.

Still hoping for more high quality smaller lenses rather than SLR plus-sized bazookas.

- Marc

Jim DE

Didn't the SAR a9 rumor start as a April fools joke on 4/1.... I know I saw it some where and in the end it mentioned remember it's April.

Either way, I am like the others above in that the A7rII is more than enough for my current needs and wants out of this camera. No matter how much is written about how great this or that lens may be I am standing pat for the first time in a long time with the glass I currently have for it. I cover from 16-400mm with 4 great Sony G or Zony lenses and I have absolutely no complaints with any of it except it would be nice to have a E mount 70-400 to unlock all the potential this body can offer with use of a E mount glass rather than a adapted A mount.

The GM's tempt me but we have all seen this first in - quietly first out transitions with new glass and early hype. I am sure it's a excellent lens but when I hear as good as one of the top rated fixed lenses that others literally raved about 5 days ago and waited over a year for then just from the laws of light transmission through extra field of glass and moveable glass no less my warning bells go off.

Being happy with what I have is a great place to be and a rarity in the digital rat race!!!!!!

V

Vivek

If it offers lossless RAW output, it would be interesting.

Guy Mancuso

Didn't the SAR a9 rumor start as a April fools joke on 4/1.... I know I saw it some where and in the end it mentioned remember it's April.

Either way, I am like the others above in that the A7rII is more than enough for my current needs and wants out of this camera. No matter how much is written about how great this or that lens may be I am standing pat for the first time in a long time with the glass I currently have for it. I cover from 16-400mm with 4 great Sony G or Zony lenses and I have absolutely no complaints with any of it except it would be nice to have a E mount 70-400 to unlock all the potential this body can offer with use of a E mount glass rather than a adapted A mount.

The GM's tempt me but we have all seen this first in - quietly first out transitions with new glass and early hype. I am sure it's a excellent lens but when I hear as good as one of the top rated fixed lenses that others literally raved about 5 days ago and waited over a year for then just from the laws of light transmission through extra field of glass and moveable glass no less my warning bells go off.

Being happy with what I have is a great place to be and a rarity in the digital rat race!!!!!!
You have not been following the 24-70 GM test I posted . It will spank just about anything out there . This lens is special. This is coming from ME not some youtube idiot. I never seen a mid zoom this good ever, it has beautiful rendering. I pick up the 85 in 3 hours. Im serious I don't even like zooms. This one actually matches the hype. Although I did not create that hype but I did test the **** out of it and I never seen anything like it in a zoom. This is me talking.

Jim DE

Guy, as I said I am sure it is a excellent zoom and I made no direct reference to anyone individual evaluations but the physics of light transmission and distortion does have its realistic limits.

As with the Batis 25 lets just see how long these zooms stay in everyone's quiver before moving on to the next best thing since buttered bread. It may be a have to own or then again it may be just another buyer craze and move on to something else. Time will tell and I am just extremely happy with what I have!

ohnri

New 24-70
New 85
New a9

All that

Or cake

Can't afford both.

Hmm, $10,000 of new gear on one hand. On the other, a tasty three berry concoction with buttercream frosting.

I need a moment.

-Bill

ErikKaffehr

Nice to hear!

Lensrentals have a positive report on it, too. Lensrentals also found sample variation is good.

Not buying, though. I don't need a 24-70/2.8, and the piggybank is empty after buying a7rII and three Canon lenses.

Best regards
Erik

You have not been following the 24-70 GM test I posted . It will spank just about anything out there . This lens is special. This is coming from ME not some youtube idiot. I never seen a mid zoom this good ever, it has beautiful rendering. I pick up the 85 in 3 hours. Im serious I don't even like zooms. This one actually matches the hype. Although I did not create that hype but I did test the **** out of it and I never seen anything like it in a zoom. This is me talking.

Guy Mancuso

New 24-70
New 85
New a9

All that

Or cake

Can't afford both.

Hmm, $10,000 of new gear on one hand. On the other, a tasty three berry concoction with buttercream frosting.

I need a moment.

-Bill

Bill can you send some cake, I'm broke just spent 4 grand on glass and it does not digest well. Lol

ohnri

Bill can you send some cake, I'm broke just spent 4 grand on glass and it does not digest well. Lol
Anytime you are in Los Angeles I will treat you to cake.

Or a classic, old school burger and pie.

Or really anything.

I am leaving for Germany on Monday and bringing home gummies. Apparently, Germany leads the world in gummy bear technology.

I hope to snag a couple of passable photos while I am there. Especially, there is a lovely castle near Munich that is calling out to me. According to Google translate the castle is telling me, 'spend a lot of money to get a picture of me that is not as good as the €2 postcard you can buy anywhere.'

I must follow the voice ...

The voice also tells me the 24-70 would be most handy. Maybe one will fall into my lap in Munich.

I'm serious about LA though. If you pass through I will feed you. Or house you if you don't mind the company of lovely children.

-Bill

jfirneno

From the replies here I guess a lot of Sony users are getting comfortable with the performance of the existing gear. Good. Sony may have to slow the upgrade schedule to once a year!

Of course I did just get notification that my Loxia 21mm will be shipping early next week. So I guess there's still room for lens lust.

Jim DE

John ask a Sony A mount user how their upgrade schedule has been going............ Like the NEX and the a33/55 launches the early a7 series bodies experienced the same rapid progression through the first series. I think the upgrade schedule will level out to Sony's norm of 3 years between models versions or so.

Glass lust is a terrible thing ....... especially on one's expendable cash(if anyone has that type cash any longer) ;)

I really liked the NEX7 form and function with legacy glass and Tri Nav but it has been a very long time since this body has gotten a upgrade (like never)

jfirneno

John ask a Sony A mount user how their upgrade schedule has been going............ Like the NEX and the a33/55 launches the early a7 series bodies experienced the same rapid progression through the first series. I think the upgrade schedule will level out to Sony's norm of 3 years between models versions or so.

Glass lust is a terrible thing ....... especially on one's expendable cash(if anyone has that type cash any longer) ;)

I really liked the NEX7 form and function with legacy glass and Tri Nav but it has been a very long time since this body has gotten a upgrade (like never)
Jim:
No doubt I remember how it felt to hear that my A-850 was the last of a dying breed. The last full-frame A-mount DSLR. I confess that I almost switched to Nikon. I think I'll always keep the a-mount 135 1.8 and 200 f4 macro lenses. But I've given most of my other a-mount glass to my son who has an A-6000. He's selling some of it to finance other lenses. Sony is a fickle mistress. But I'm starting to believe they'll get it right eventually.

Uaiomex

As I don't have yet a FF e-mount camera, for the last week I've been following this rumor with great interest. If the "A9" is bigger and heavier, so be it. If it is 60,70 or 80 mp, so be it. If it goes up another $1K, so be it. If it can't do long exposures (several minutes) with ease and without damaging the files, it will totally fail for me, just as the A7R2 did.
Eduardo

gurtch

Some years ago, I switched from Canon to a Sony Alpha A900: full frame 24 Mp (biggest at the time), and in body stabilization. I built up a lens system including 16~35mm f2.8 Zeiss ZA, 24~70mm f2.8 Zeiss ZA, 70~300mm Sony G, 28mm f2.8 Sony, Minolta AF lenses: 20mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7, 500mm mirror (only 500mm reflex lens to have auto focus and image stabilization via the IBIS), plus Tamron and Sigma Macro lenses in A mount. I still have all the above. I kept it waiting for a MP upgrade from Sony, got tired of waiting, and added a Nikon D800E system. Just last week I was pondering selling all my A mount stuff, to add to my A7RII outfit. Now I just might keep all the A mount stuff, just in case Sony delivers a high res IBIS A mount body.
I also have a complete Pentax 645D medium format system. Makes no sense at all to have 4 systems; but I am a 79 year old retiree have one heck of a lot of fun.
Best to all...I enjoy this place, and have learned from it and posted some of my work here, which I also enjoy.
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

k-hawinkler

Hi Dave in NJ. Having 4 systems makes perfect sense to me, owning Leica, Nikon, Sony, and Olympus cameras with lots of lenses! I am sure you enjoy your gear as much as I do mine. An A9 any time soon isn't necessary as my A7r2 works so well - but would be tempting anyway if it has been sufficiently advanced. :LOL:

Last edited: