The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

Uaiomex

After visiting SAR and reading the two rumors and looking at the rendering (big dslr-type) camera I thought about the strong possibility for Sony to use this megasensor in an A-mount body.
Also, if the camera has UNLIMITED raw bursts, then the camera can't have 70 or 80 mp's. Most likely something in the 50's. Unless Sony indeed has reach to alien technology somewhere under mount Fuji.
Eduardo

Some years ago, I switched from Canon to a Sony Alpha A900: full frame 24 Mp (biggest at the time), and in body stabilization. I built up a lens system including 16~35mm f2.8 Zeiss ZA, 24~70mm f2.8 Zeiss ZA, 70~300mm Sony G, 28mm f2.8 Sony, Minolta AF lenses: 20mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7, 500mm mirror (only 500mm reflex lens to have auto focus and image stabilization via the IBIS), plus Tamron and Sigma Macro lenses in A mount. I still have all the above. I kept it waiting for a MP upgrade from Sony, got tired of waiting, and added a Nikon D800E system. Just last week I was pondering selling all my A mount stuff, to add to my A7RII outfit. Now I just might keep all the A mount stuff, just in case Sony delivers a high res IBIS A mount body.
I also have a complete Pentax 645D medium format system. Makes no sense at all to have 4 systems; but I am a 79 year old retiree have one heck of a lot of fun.
Best to all...I enjoy this place, and have learned from it and posted some of my work here, which I also enjoy.
Dave in NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

V

Vivek

Eduardo, good points. There are a lot of things that could be improved in a FF sony cam.

Jim DE

John, I have 22 A mount lenses still....... only use the 70-400 with LAEA3with the a7rII. I have a a77II which lives with a 150-600 Tammy for wildlife and action. The a77use it in my studio for my product photography business. The a99, a33, Minolta 7D, Hasselblad Stellar, Sigma DP2m all basically collect dust. My NEX5 is my underwater camera and the NEX7 collects dust as do the 12 apc E mount lenses not to mention my legacy glass I used on the two NEX camera's in the past. If I was into selling gear "K-Jim" would be able to have a heck of a sale ;) but I just don't sell off much anymore.

The a7rII is doing most all the rest of my photography needs and wants and I am more than satisfied with the FE system I currently own.

jfirneno

John, I have 22 A mount lenses still....... only use the 70-400 with LAEA3with the a7rII. I have a a77II which lives with a 150-600 Tammy for wildlife and action. The a77use it in my studio for my product photography business. The a99, a33, Minolta 7D, Hasselblad Stellar, Sigma DP2m all basically collect dust. My NEX5 is my underwater camera and the NEX7 collects dust as do the 12 apc E mount lenses not to mention my legacy glass I used on the two NEX camera's in the past. If I was into selling gear "K-Jim" would be able to have a heck of a sale ;) but I just don't sell off much anymore.

The a7rII is doing most all the rest of my photography needs and wants and I am more than satisfied with the FE system I currently own.
Jim:
If I can paraphrase "lead us not into incrementation and deliver us from Sony amen."

Hausen

As I don't have yet a FF e-mount camera, for the last week I've been following this rumor with great interest. If the "A9" is bigger and heavier, so be it. If it is 60,70 or 80 mp, so be it. If it goes up another $1K, so be it. If it can't do long exposures (several minutes) with ease and without damaging the files, it will totally fail for me, just as the A7R2 did.
Eduardo
I only shoot long exposure with my A7rII. Daytime F8 ISO 100 16 stops ND for 4-5 minutes. Can you tell me what to look out for in regard to damaged files? Pretty happy with mine.

Annna T

I only shoot long exposure with my A7rII. Daytime F8 ISO 100 16 stops ND for 4-5 minutes. Can you tell me what to look out for in regard to damaged files? Pretty happy with mine.
Astrophotography may be ?

And may be he has missed the last update allowing you to choose uncompressed raws and keep 14 bits.

Or he may be referring to a known problem of the A7s known to astrophotographers : it can "eat" smaller stars with some settings.

But anyway : that remark sounds a little weird and would need some clarification. May be it was said tongue in cheek, meaning he is not ready to update his camera..

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would be very surprised if an A9 isn't launched this year. I would also be surprised if the sensor isn't at least 60-70 mpx, possibly more. The next Nikon is supposed to get a substantial increase in pixels, which most likely means more than Canon, and Sony probably doesn't want to be left in the dust behind its ancient competitors apart from the simple fact that they are probably manufacturing the sensor for Nikon anyway.

They also need to address the battery size issue sooner or later. While there are many happy A7 users around, the small battery is one of the most important reasons not to buy an A7 for those who don't. With the new, large lenses now on the market, a bigger body wouldn't be a problem. Rather the opposite if you ask me.

Jim DE

Jorgen(the following is not direct to you but to the battery comment I keep seeing from many), I will not dispute the battery life issue could be a slight annoyance to some BUT IF that IS THE ONLY reason some one refuses to buy a A7 well then IMO it is far better for everyone that they stay with what they have and never buy Sony. Personally, anyone that can't carry a few small lightweight batteries in their pocket and change them when needed must of been a really big head case when we shot roll filml!!!!! I can just imagine how cluttered with bogus puke Sony specific forums would get with whining about the tiniest non-issues from those individuals if we were unfortunate enough that they bought a A7 body.

Just as a matter of fact I use my a7rII as my scenic camera and have it equipped with the battery grip and have yet to ever have to swap batteries in a full days shoot. Granted, landscape shooting is not a run and burn pixel genre but I don't see the a7 the most ideal frame burning bodies to buy from Sony for those kind of needs and wants either. We have "A" mount bodies for faster AF and higher frame rates that those sort of genre dictate and with battery gips their batteries last a very long time.

I think the battery life issue is just one of those far over blown issue's like the ARW file compression was for naysayer's to hang a hat on (and a ever so small one at that) that in the real world are basically NON-issues. Naysayers will hang on to their equipment and throw stones at any and all things different and new that might challenge what they use.... just their nature. Remember a certain major brand user's and the beginning of the digital age? Or how about the "no one need more than 12mp" mentality they puked all over the web for years? IMO though all cameras are great today and it is very tough to find a bad one from anyone. Some manufacturers users are so single minded that it ends up crippling their vision and enjoyment of advancements in technology. I admit I am single minded with Minolta Sony products because I am too old and I have far too much $$$$$$ in gear to ever look else where(I am Minolta/Sony till I die good/bad/or otherwise) BUT I never go into the other manufacturer sites to either read-praise-or throw stones. I know I am where I will end and don't care what other companies have or don't have....... it is just that simple. Those mentioning the battery issue really need a life.

The Ute

Jorgen(the following is not direct to you but to the battery comment I keep seeing from many), I will not dispute the battery life issue could be a slight annoyance to some BUT IF that IS THE ONLY reason some one refuses to buy a A7 well then IMO it is far better for everyone that they stay with what they have and never buy Sony. Personally, anyone that can't carry a few small lightweight batteries in their pocket and change them when needed must of been a really big head case when we shot roll filml!!!!! I can just imagine how cluttered with bogus puke Sony specific forums would get with whining about the tiniest non-issues from those individuals if we were unfortunate enough that they bought a A7 body.

Just as a matter of fact I use my a7rII as my scenic camera and have it equipped with the battery grip and have yet to ever have to swap batteries in a full days shoot. Granted, landscape shooting is not a run and burn pixel genre but I don't see the a7 the most ideal frame burning bodies to buy from Sony for those kind of needs and wants either. We have "A" mount bodies for faster AF and higher frame rates that those sort of genre dictate and with battery gips their batteries last a very long time.

I think the battery life issue is just one of those far over blown issue's like the ARW file compression was for naysayer's to hang a hat on (and a ever so small one at that) that in the real world are basically NON-issues. Naysayers will hang on to their equipment and throw stones at any and all things different and new that might challenge what they use.... just their nature. Remember a certain major brand user's and the beginning of the digital age? Or how about the "no one need more than 12mp" mentality they puked all over the web for years? IMO though all cameras are great today and it is very tough to find a bad one from anyone. Some manufacturers users are so single minded that it ends up crippling their vision and enjoyment of advancements in technology. I admit I am single minded with Minolta Sony products because I am too old and I have far too much $$$$$$ in gear to ever look else where(I am Minolta/Sony till I die good/bad/or otherwise) BUT I never go into the other manufacturer sites to either read-praise-or throw stones. I know I am where I will end and don't care what other companies have or don't have....... it is just that simple. Those mentioning the battery issue really need a life.
Bravo Jim !
Well said:clap:

k-hawinkler

No battery issues at all for my NEX-5N, NEX-7, A7r, or A7r2.
I like that these cameras use the same batteries and I have 9 by now. :facesmack:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

You are wrong Jim. Sony is in the camera business to make money. To make money, they need as many customers as possible. The short battery life of the A7 is discussed on camera forums all over the net and gives Sony negative publicity. One can always claim that it's a non-issue, but bad publicity means lower sales. However, I do know other photographers than myself for whom this camera is not on the shopping list, and where the battery issue is of importance. I also know photographers who have sold their A7 with a significant loss because they found that the battery life became to short to make the camera a practical option.

My main camera for a couple of years was the GH3, a camera with much longer battery life than any A7 model. Still, battery life became an issue when travelling (I travelled with 3 batteries plus a GH2 with 2 batteries). With the A7, I would have needed 6-10 batteries. To charge that many batteries every night would mean carrying 2 or 3 chargers as well unless I would stay at the hotel room every night changing batteries in the charger. That's not my idea of fun, and I know it's not other travel photographers' idea of fun. Sports is another no-go, not only because of the battery life, but it's an important factor. You don't want to change batteries in the middle of the race, and it always happens at an inconvenient time.

This way, Sony is excluding itself from several important markets, reducing their profit and the money they can set aside long term for product development. While they have released new cameras and to a certain degree new lenses at a breathtaking pace the last two years, they can't do that forever unless they make a healthy profit. The original Sony Alpha system suffered exactly that fate; less sales than expected leading to less profit leading to less product development leading to less sales and so on. Now it's mostly a dead system.

While the A7 is a perfect camera for many photographers, it's hardly a runaway success. I believe Sony has around a third of the mirrorless market, and that includes all Sony models. The total mirrorless market is around a third of the size of the DSLR market. This means that their total share of of the exchangeable lens camera market is in the area of 8-10%. That's actually less than their share of the DSLR market when they were aiming for the top of there (I believe they peaked at 12-15%).

For a corporation of Sony's size, a market share of less than 10% is probably totally unacceptable. If I were a Sony user, I would hope for some radical new ideas very soon to avoid that the E-mount goes the way of the A-mount; a good system with a limited future. I don't say this because i like to talk bad about Sony or other camera systems, but because I don't want to see this system fall asleep and die.

jfirneno

Jim:
I agree that the whole battery problem is starting to sound silly. For casual shooters or even moderate professional needs, a pocket full of batteries is fine. I have five. For videographers and other power users there are already plenty of options that allow you to plug the battery port into a portable power pack that you either carry or hook onto the tripod or dolly. Plenty of professionals use the A7 cameras for every possible application. Now that video and stills have converged the solutions that videographers have used are available to everyone.

Jim DE

Jorgen I might be wrong in your eyes or even many you know but as a active buyer and user of Minolta Sony products since before Sony bought Minolta you sir are wrong. The battery issue is pure BS and nothing more than a extremely minor if any issue at all for still photographers. Video guys need to get a life and just buy a real video camera which I might add Sony dominated the commercial video market in for years.

The naysayers can poke as many twigs as they can find at Sony technologies and find whatever make believe issues they care to drum up to justify their hardheaded thought processes. Sony product, or let's say it's developments and innovations, are here to stay and the old ways will go the way of the VHS and 8 track tapes soon enough as the hardheaded die off or have revelation about a new to them technology they now accept that Sony has been using for years.

Sure Sony would like as many customers as they can have but I think they learned something about some crossover buyers with the ARW file issue that may of made them a bit happier about a slower market. Those that complained about the a7rII IQ shut up after the DXOmark rated it #1. The AWR compression guys got shut up after Sony offered no compression at all RAW's and I am sure they will soon shut up the short battery life garbage as well. But all the above issues in real life unless you do Astro photography (maybe Sony isn't the best tool they could buy for that genre) are nothing but extremely minor surface itches. The odd thing is.... We only hear the above complaints from new or non buyers not from the Sony Minolta rank and file. Guess we Sony users are just too dumb to know a good tool from a bad one and some how need others to point out the error of our ways. Sorry I am not one to go quietly into the dark or yield to others who for some reason feel I need their opinions. I don't!!

I know for my manufacturing experience I took care of my loyal base and only slowly moved to look at issues from non buying cry babies; if at all. This worked extremely well for the 36 years I was there and would work today.

I still say if A7 battery life is the only issue stopping someone from buying a A7 camera Sony and everyone who owns one is better off without that sale. I personally would help direct them happily to any other brand. One brand I can think of is full of arrogant self-righteous nut cases like this guy would have to be and he'd fit in just fine with them and their myopic views.

One last thought about Sony and the battery issue. With the recent other two witch hunts Sony dealt with last this past year they may just be leaving this battery issue to block the door to other potential nick picks that these gotta have something to whine about non-buyers will find next. We did a similar tactic a few times and waited to release fixes with newer models. Sometimes it's best to give them an annoyance to dwell on than to let them find 6 new things to dwell on. Just a thought.... I would of done it this way after the ARW compression witch hunt.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

With all this new stuff around, I feel like its permanently Christmas. Batis, G Master, A9, New Hassy H6 and rumoured compact version, Phase 100mp, etc I'm starting to get indigestion.

Nonetheless, does anyone know if the rumoured A9 will use the A mount or E Mount? From where I'm standing, the E mount makes more sense, otherwise Sony would have to maintain another range of G Master quality lenses for the A Mount, which is plain daft.

The only thing I don't like about the A7RII is its boxy industrial design and ludicrous menu system. Batteries are fine. I would imagine an A9 would take care of both issues (look to Leica for great industrial design).

fotografz

Hmm, it's getting hot in here …:ROTFL:

Sony had to use a small battery to make the smallest FF camera possible. They also used the small E mount from their APSc cameras that also helped keep things more dainty. Both have their own issues, but both made the camera possible. You give up something to get something else … it's like a Magnum Derringer … small and powerful that feels like a you slammed your hand in a car door when fired.:D

"Is that a pocket full of batteries, or are you just happy to see me?"

Whether the battery life is an issue depends on what you shoot, how you shoot, and how much you depend on the various features available. I detest changing batteries in the heat of a continuous shoot. Monitoring power is just another distraction from the tasks at hand, and gnawing at the back of your scull is how low power can be an issue waiting to happen. So is swapping batteries when under pressure, at a dead run, or in a dark room … Murphy's law dictates that it always happens at the most inopportune time, and the specter of rushed user error is heightened.

Given my druthers, I'd much prefer a slightly larger camera with more power available and perhaps better power management. Not a battery grip that makes the camera so much larger.

Not a reason to skip getting one IMO, but not a non-issue for some folks either.

I won't even get into the interface widely decried as the worst ever designed. I'd gladly forego longer battery life for a more intelligent and streamlined interface because it IS actually something that would assist the user do what they set out to accomplish. Let's lobby for that first.

Oh, and smaller high quality lenses that do not require sale of a Kidney, or your left eyeball.:cool:

- Marc

4season

Sometimes I think these "leaks" are a form of marketing and maybe a way to gauge the public's interest in a possible new product.

If anything, I'd want an FE outfit that's slender and more rangefinder-like, plus 2-3 compact lenses to go with it. I figure there's room for lenses which are more about character than state-of-the-art performance. I rarely shoot anything like action sequences, so unlimited burst doesn't mean a lot to me.

Weight + batteries: Simple, offer a battery grip with built-in L-plate and a slot for a Makita tool battery: Problem solved! It's easy to add mass to a camera but a lot harder to add lightness.

Jim DE

Jorgen, I am sure they care about market share but they may care more about satisfying their targeted group of consumers. Sort of like a publisher that prints Bibles. There are lots of books sold of all types to all kinds of people but some publishers just try and do the best they can for their targeted consumer groups. Sony just might not want a consumer who's only reason to not buying a A7 is as silly as a battery life issue. Or one so dug in against change that they have a blue knuckle grip on their OVF's and will dig 6 miles down past all a cameras advantages to find something to cry about to justify their archaic norms and the tools they use. I have to ask how many other companies lenses can they use on their bodies and still have full function, AF, and IBIS with all of them??? To me this is a far bigger plus than battery life is a minus but hey I am a Sony customer what do I know?

I have no coin in this game and actually could care less what anyone uses. When I read "sky is falling" intensity complaints about a (at worse) slight annoyance issue for some genre photographers like battery life stopping a potential buyer my BS alerts go off being as I own and use this gear for work and pleasure. I should really just say nothing and let them puke their complaints on the net so others like them also don't buy a7's and infest Sony forums with their obsurd thinking but ..... After seeing it 40-50 times my switch goes off I guess. I don't classify Sony hardware any better than any other manufacturers gear out there but then on the flip side it surely is no worse. There is a select group of photogs that use a specific brand camera who if I was Sony I would strive to not getting them as customers. Lower marketshares due to the lack of sales to that group would be a plus.