The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

k-hawinkler

+1.

More over, TCs to use with 70-200 f2.8 and such are coming.

Thanks Vivek. I am hoping for that.

My favorite combination right now on the A7r2 is a Leica APO-Telyt-R 280/4 + APO-Extender-R 2x + Novoflex LEM/LER adapter + TechART PRO autofocus adapter shooting 4K video on a tripod with ClearImage, up to 2x, zooming magnification controlled by a remote video controller - while using handheld the Olympus 300/4 PRO with MC-14 1.4x Teleconverter for stills on E-M1 or E-M5.2.

WOW 4K video for sure can produce a lot of data. In one day I generated that way temporarily about ½ TB of which I kept, after editing out uninteresting parts, about 5 to 10%.

I find it amazing that for tele shots the Olympus 300/4 and MC-14 can hold their own IQ-wise on the OM-D cameras. What a feat.

Last edited:

fotografz

I rather would want to use those FF pixels - not just those APS-C ones. :facesmack:
Duh! Of course you'd use those FF pixels, why else buy a mega-meg monster?

But you miss the point. Longer lenses for the A7 cameras are huge when traveling or shooting mobile.

Another advantage of a super high res sensor could be using it cropped: A 30 meg APSc option on a 70 meg camera would offer substantial resolution for many if not most applications while using the same smaller set of FF lenses.

It would just add to the versatility of existing system lenses. A two lens kit like the Batis 25 and 85 would provide a 35mm FOV and a 127.5 FOV … like 4 lenses in a small kit. I guess it depends on what you shoot and how it is presented that would require 70 meg all the time.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use crop mode quite often especially with my GM 85 for head shot type shooting. 18 Mpx is plenty for that stuff.

k-hawinkler

Duh! Of course you'd use those FF pixels, why else buy a mega-meg monster?

But you miss the point. Longer lenses for the A7 cameras are huge when traveling or shooting mobile.

Another advantage of a super high res sensor could be using it cropped: A 30 meg APSc option on a 70 meg camera would offer substantial resolution for many if not most applications while using the same smaller set of FF lenses.

It would just add to the versatility of existing system lenses. A two lens kit like the Batis 25 and 85 would provide a 35mm FOV and a 127.5 FOV … like 4 lenses in a small kit. I guess it depends on what you shoot and how it is presented that would require 70 meg all the time.
Thanks. I have no objection to your versatility argument. I agree being able to crop is a major advantage of very large pixel count sensors. And I have done that.

Nevertheless, I would prefer using 35 mm when appropriate instead of cropping 25 mm as I have both lenses in FE mount. Same for 85 or 90 mm I would prefer using a 135 mm Leica lens instead, adapted with the TechArt autofocus adapter that seems to be able to handle the weight of the 135 mm lens.

The real benefit of a very large pixel count sensor to me would be a situation in which the subject only fills part of the frame with to me available lenses. However, in that case a smaller sensor format with similarly high or higher pixel density would work fine provided the required lenses are available, as they seem to be for example for MFT cameras.

fotografz

Still missing the point.

The Sony camera is small … with big resolution. Keeping the lens count to two lenses keeps it a small, highly mobile kit. Not a 25mm, and a 35mmm, and a 85mm, and a 135mm + adapter.

Everything about this Sony system is getting bigger and bigger, more this , more that, … I'd like to see smaller stuff and less of it to carry.

Of course, we can add, and add and collect anything we want to use … I'm just advocating notions that keep it small and compact when wanted.

- Marc

gurtch

Still missing the point.

The Sony camera is small … with big resolution. Keeping the lens count to two lenses keeps it a small, highly mobile kit. Not a 25mm, and a 35mmm, and a 85mm, and a 135mm + adapter.

Everything about this Sony system is getting bigger and bigger, more this , more that, … I'd like to see smaller stuff and less of it to carry.

Of course, we can add, and add and collect anything we want to use … I'm just advocating notions that keep it small and compact when wanted.

- Marc
I agree---the reason I purchased the A7R (and upgraded to the A7RII) is because of the high pixel count and small size. My wife and I are travelling half way across the country by air to attend our grand daughter's wedding. With baggage fees what they are, we are travelling as light as possible. I am taking the A7RII with the tiny 35mm f2.8 Zeiss, and 55mm f1.8 Zeiss. The three items plus two spare batteries, and spare memory card fit into a REALLY small Leica Billingham bag. It weighs almost nothing. I have a tiny, light Topcon f2.8 SLR lens, with adapter that I was thinking of taking for head shots...but then here I go again, adding weight. I decided against it. I will crop the 55mm lens shots if need be.
Dave

gurtch

I agree---the reason I purchased the A7R (and upgraded to the A7RII) is because of the high pixel count and small size. My wife and I are travelling half way across the country by air to attend our grand daughter's wedding. With baggage fees what they are, we are travelling as light as possible. I am taking the A7RII with the tiny 35mm f2.8 Zeiss, and 55mm f1.8 Zeiss. The three items plus two spare batteries, and spare memory card fit into a REALLY small Leica Billingham bag. It weighs almost nothing. I have a tiny, light Topcon f2.8 SLR lens, with adapter that I was thinking of taking for head shots...but then here I go again, adding weight. I decided against it. I will crop the 55mm lens shots if need be.
Dave

I forgot to say the Topcon is a 100mm f2.8, and is only 2" long, 49mm filter thread , same filter size as the two Zeiss lenses.
Dave

jfirneno

Is Tony Northrop someone who would be likely to know if Sony was about to release an A9 (or two different A9) cameras?

SAR had a video clip of his where he speculated about what will be new at Fotokina in September. Does anyone know anything about his connections to the big camera manufacturers? I only know him as a camera equipment reviewer.

pegelli

I forgot to say the Topcon is a 100mm f2.8, and is only 2" long, 49mm filter thread , same filter size as the two Zeiss lenses.
Dave, if it is that small and light just put it in your pants pocket. Or do they also weigh the contents of that?

gurtch

Dave, if it is that small and light just put it in your pants pocket. Or do they also weigh the contents of that?
Never thought of that. It is small and light. Just one more thing to empty out of my pants pocket...wallet, cell phone, and 100mm lens....no big deal!
Thanks
Dave

V

Vivek

Never thought of that. It is small and light. Just one more thing to empty out of my pants pocket...wallet, cell phone, and 100mm lens....no big deal!
Thanks
Dave
Don't do it! You will have a tough time with TSA!

pegelli

Don't do it! You will have a tough time with TSA!
I've flown a lot within the USA in recent years, never had any trouble with TSA for any camera or lens, not in a bag nor carried loose. If they can look through the lens and see the camera works they let you through without any hassle (in the rare cases they even bother to check).

iiiNelson

I've flown a lot within the USA in recent years, never had any trouble with TSA for any camera or lens, not in a bag nor carried loose. If they can look through the lens and see the camera works they let you through without any hassle (in the rare cases they even bother to check).
I've gotten hassled far more while traveling throughout Africa (in countries not known for tourism) and EU in countries more suspicious of Americans than in USA. Probably has more to do with the xenophobic nature of people when foreigners of unknown origin come around. FWIW the airport security person in Rome questioned me about a cigar punch that "looked like a bullet" on my keychain... It actually looks absolutely nothing like a bullet... For anyone that's seen bullets outside of the conical shape of it.

Slingers

After analysing the A9 rumors, I think there is a possibility an A7000 is coming. To me an A7000 could be either a full frame rangefinder type camera like the A6300 that takes the place of the A7II or its a flagship APSC that's bigger than the A6300, has a big buffer, and IBIS.

V

Vivek

After analysing the A9 rumors, I think there is a possibility an A7000 is coming. To me an A7000 could be either a full frame rangefinder type camera like the A6300 that takes the place of the A7II or its a flagship APSC that's bigger than the A6300, has a big buffer, and IBIS.
That makes no sense given the truck sized new lenses from sony.