The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

18mm ƒ2.8 Batis is here!

I've got to believe there's good reasons for making the front that large. The old 18mm Distagon, which was slower (ƒ3.5), had an even larger filter size (82mm).

Last edited:

pegelli

I've got to believe there's good reasons for making the front that large. The old 18mm Distagon, which was slower (ƒ3.5), had an even larger filter size (82mm).
Might be, but I wonder what that reason is. Using 50% of the front diameter (75% of the surface) for a piece of opaque black plastic that's not part of the optics seems overkill in my layman's eyes.

iiiNelson

This will probably be the first lens I buy since the last two Batis lenses. I may add the 70-300 eventually as well.

Viramati

Personally I'm happy with my Loxia 21 and CV15 mkIII for my wides though if I had neither of them then the 18 Batis would be tempting. Also I really don't need AF at this focal length

Hausen

The Loxia 21mm is all I need, a Loxia 135mm though, that would be tempting.The Bati lenses look sweet though.

jfirneno

An embarrassment of riches!

All the new exciting lenses is starting to make me dizzy. I just bought the Loxia 21mm and now they have an 18mm. I'm gonna skip this Batis and wait for the Voitlander 10mm as the ultimate wide angle for those times when 21 is just too darn narrow!

But we certainly live in exciting times for Sony shooters.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
That's the best reason I've seen so far for buying an A7. Congrats!

My pusher has 2 x A7R and 1 x A7R II used for sale... hmmmm

Quentin_Bargate

I will stick with the Loxia 21mm, which is a wonderful match with the A7RII, and continue to use the very good 16-35mm zeiss zoom when necessary.

jfirneno

I will stick with the Loxia 21mm, which is a wonderful match with the A7RII, and continue to use the very good 16-35mm zeiss zoom when necessary.
After getting a chance to review the files I shot with the 21mm today I understand your decision. For landscape work all I need to do with this lens is set it to infinity and I get corner to corner sharpness and beautiful images. It's really very, very good. The only other wide lenses I'm considering are the Voigtlander 10mm and 12mm. But those are such different animals it's hard to think of them together with the 21mm at all.

Hausen

After getting a chance to review the files I shot with the 21mm today I understand your decision. For landscape work all I need to do with this lens is set it to infinity and I get corner to corner sharpness and beautiful images. It's really very, very good. The only other wide lenses I'm considering are the Voigtlander 10mm and 12mm. But those are such different animals it's hard to think of them together with the 21mm at all.
You can be a little more precise with the focus magnification and pick the best front to back focus spot rather than just set to infinity, I shoot long exposure BNW landscapes and I love the horizion to be sharp with the water blurred and easy to achieve with live view and focus magnification. The 21mm is awesome especially for me with BNW.

jfirneno

You can be a little more precise with the focus magnification and pick the best front to back focus spot rather than just set to infinity, I shoot long exposure BNW landscapes and I love the horizion to be sharp with the water blurred and easy to achieve with live view and focus magnification. The 21mm is awesome especially for me with BNW.
I played around with the manual focus on some test shots. The background was across a small river and about a quarter mile from where I was standing. I tried to find a best focus point using the higher magnification assist (I think it's ~ 10X on the A7S). Truth be told, to my admittedly old eyes I couldn't see any advantage to the infinity stop point. I am eager to try tethering the camera to a larger display (maybe a large laptop screen) and experiment with improving on the infinity stop. In the meantime I'll try shooting some slightly less challenging items to test the focus.