The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Unique file names for two cameras on same job

dmward

I have two a7rIIs. I sometimes use them together while shooting a job. That creates a potential for duplicate file names which, when importing into Lightroom, can cause a problem. With my Canon 5DIIIs I was able to create a file naming pre-fix in the camera to ensure no duplication. I can't find that capability in the Sony firmware.

Lightroom has a means to rename the files on import by including the serial number. I'd like to do that since it doesn't require me to know which camera the card is from when loading it. However, for some reason the EXIF data does not include the camera serial number. Does anyone know how to get it into the EXIF data?

Thanks.

Barry Haines

I have two a7rIIs. I sometimes use them together while shooting a job. That creates a potential for duplicate file names which, when importing into Lightroom, can cause a problem. With my Canon 5DIIIs I was able to create a file naming pre-fix in the camera to ensure no duplication. I can't find that capability in the Sony firmware.

Lightroom has a means to rename the files on import by including the serial number. I'd like to do that since it doesn't require me to know which camera the card is from when loading it. However, for some reason the EXIF data does not include the camera serial number. Does anyone know how to get it into the EXIF data?

Thanks.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57271208

dmward

It is on the A6300. Maybe the firmware feature will "trickle upwards..."

There appear to be several firmware capabilities included in the A6300 that should be expanded into existing camera firmware. This is one of the more valuable.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks for the filename tip.

I had the same issue using two A7RIIs on Safari in October and wanted to do the same thing with Capture One Pro using the serial number from EXIF in the import filename (I do this with my MFDBs which also produce the same image filenames and cannot change the prefix but the serial # is in EXIF). Luckily C1Pro handles duplicates ok but it is a potential disaster waiting to happen if you aren't vigilant. I was OK because the image number offset was large enough between my camera and the rental so as not to overlap until the end of my trip (and where the timestamps on the files were significantly different).

Sony should have added the image prefix option in firmware. It's something pro cameras have had for decades. Hopefully I'll remember the sRGB/Adobe RGB trick next time I need t use two bodies.

dmward

What amazes me is that the engineers designing and coding this stuff are so blind to things that we, as photographers, expect as normal operating procedure.

Its like they are kept in a sealed environment and forbidden to think about practical uses.

GrahamWelland

I can almost live with Sony not putting the filename prefix option in the firmware ... almost, but still begrudgingly only almost. Yet more options to configure etc etc. Ok, no that doesn't fly. I'm inclined to agree with you that nobody thought it important enough in the development specs or missed beta test feedback from working pro photographers. (Brian Smith where were you??)

What I simply don't understand is why Sony doesn't put the serial number in the EXIF. It would be the obvious thing to do. :facesmack:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There appear to be several firmware capabilities included in the A6300 that should be expanded into existing camera firmware. This is one of the more valuable.
Yea I just got the A6300 noticed this right away. Other feature in AF you can magnify. I wish we can get these in our A7rII. It's firmware, we need these.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What I do is actually go in Adobe bridge and direct from the card I do a batch rename . Just make sure you keep the file extension. Than I just import into C1very simple and you can name the files anything you want

pegelli

My work around is to dedicate SD cards to a specific camera (written on the label) and batch rename (with a camera identifier) upon import.

But I agree, it would be nice to be able to change the identifier and have one less thing to worry about (i.e. in my case putting a card in the "wrong" camera)

GrahamWelland

But I agree, it would be nice to be able to change the identifier and have one less thing to worry about (i.e. in my case putting a card in the "wrong" camera)
Exactly. I will often exchange cards between cameras by mistake and I'd hope that this wouldn't hurt us overall. It does sometimes have the unexpected effect of resetting the last shot image number regardless of what the camera has recorded.

pegelli

Exactly. I will often exchange cards between cameras by mistake and I'd hope that this wouldn't hurt us overall. It does sometimes have the unexpected effect of resetting the last shot image number regardless of what the camera has recorded.
Agree, that's my other reason to have dedicated SD cards per camera. When you make a mistake there is a simple work-around to reset the serial file number to any desired number in the sequence (0001 - 9999), but it's better to not have to do that.

dmward

The Canon 5DIIIs and then the Fuji XT-1 cameras that I used before the A7 had an ability to prefix the file name. That got me into a routine of placing the cards into the reader and copying them to backup drive, renaming the folder with date and job number. Then copying those folders to work drive and finally importing them into Lightroom. When exporting JPGs from Lightroom for client I do rename the files with date/client/sequence number.

I guess I could modify my ingesting workflow. Hopefully this old dog can learn at least one new trick.

One of the posts in the DPR thread referred to a utility called Ingester Pro. I had trialled it a couple years ago but never put it into use. When I looked at it yesterday it looks like its not be updated in several years, which on a Mac means its libel to become incompatible with a new OS X release.

Anyone know of another option? One thing it offers is ability to copy the card to two locations which supports by backup requirement.

I found Photomechanic in my applications folder. Its an old version. Just downloaded version 5 trial.
That may be the best option. Although kind of pricy for limited use I plan.

Last edited:

Annna T

The Canon 5DIIIs and then the Fuji XT-1 cameras that I used before the A7 had an ability to prefix the file name. That got me into a routine of placing the cards into the reader and copying them to backup drive, renaming the folder with date and job number. Then copying those folders to work drive and finally importing them into Lightroom. When exporting JPGs from Lightroom for client I do rename the files with date/client/sequence number.

I guess I could modify my ingesting workflow. Hopefully this old dog can learn at least one new trick.

One of the posts in the DPR thread referred to a utility called Ingester Pro. I had trialled it a couple years ago but never put it into use. When I looked at it yesterday it looks like its not be updated in several years, which on a Mac means its libel to become incompatible with a new OS X release.

Anyone know of another option? One thing it offers is ability to copy the card to two locations which supports by backup requirement.
I have never used it myself, but some years ago, the most used app by pro and especially by PJ was Photo Mechanic. Products | Camera Bits, Inc.

Here is their promotional video : Try Photo Mechanic for Free | Camera Bits, Inc.

I don't know how things evolved lately. May be some pros here have experiences to share about it.

Personally I'm using LR and rename every picture imported with the date and a non significative sequence number.
I have had some trouble with duplicate names, but well not often enough to consider something else and I'm not dealing with clients.