The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 50/1.8

V

Vivek

Despite my enthusiasm to be cheerful about this lower priced prime from Sony, I am forced to admit that it is a lens to avoid.

Congratulations to Sony for making the noisiest lens for the E mount! :rolleyes:

Whether it is AF or MF the lens is noisy!

In terms of worthiness to have it my my kit- the 28/2 is a gem and this 50/1.8 may not find a place most of the time despite being lighter in weight than the fabulous 55/1.8.

The positives:

1. Impressive looking hood that is unlikely to be used.

2. Makes the Techart auto focus adapter look like a true winner in terms of focus speed, accuracy and noise!

V

Vivek

Because of the construction (basically a retrofitted A mount lens), the use of extension tubes to get closer to an image causes vignetting (normal close focus allows only 45cm).

(One can, however use a close up diopter without vignetting issues.)

iiiNelson

Despite my enthusiasm to be cheerful about this lower priced prime from Sony, I am forced to admit that it is a lens to avoid.

Congratulations to Sony for making the noisiest lens for the E mount! :rolleyes:

Whether it is AF or MF the lens is noisy!

In terms of worthiness to have it my my kit- the 28/2 is a gem and this 50/1.8 may not find a place most of the time despite being lighter in weight than the fabulous 55/1.8.

The positives:

1. Impressive looking hood that is unlikely to be used.

2. Makes the Techart auto focus adapter look like a true winner in terms of focus speed, accuracy and noise!
Do you think it's possible that the lens is defective?

V

Vivek

Tre, I am positive that it is a defective design and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my sample.

After about half hour, the manual focus noise appears to be less ( either that or I am getting use to it?). The AF is still aweful. Twice, from minimum distance the lens refused to disengage from that point to focus further. It needed physical nudging in manual focus mode.

I hope Sony will snap out of this sort of stuff and come up with somethng more decent.

It seems it's defective by design ... :(
Nailed it! :thumbup:

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek, I hope you can return it for a refund.
Thanks, K-H. I think I can since it was bought online, I can return within 2 weeks (refund or store credit is another matter- I do not know at the moment.).

Thx for the heads-up about this. Because it's inexpensive, I probably would have ordered one just to give it a try. You've saved me the hassle of returning one!

Kirk

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

What a bummer! Good for everybody to know. Bad for Sony. Why do they do this?
BTW Not that I need another 50mm lens, although some good AF for a change....

V

Vivek

Auto Focus performance in decent light. f/2.2, A7s.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

[May be I should keep this lens? Where is Keith ("Woodmancy") ?]

When it is possible to have the lens hunt and settle (give it enough time). Again f/2.2, A7s.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

k-hawinkler

Piece Of Sheisse
Thanks Vivek.
I see you prefer the new spelling "ss" instead of "ß"! :ROTFL: :LOL: :ROTFL:
It was good to leave out the "c". :clap:

I wonder why the online dictionaries always leave out the pertinent explanations! :facesmack:

I'm sorry you got stung on this, but it's fine if you can just send it back to the retailer.

I don't use 50mm very often and hadn't acquired a 55mm f1.8. But I did want an AF 50 with a wider aperture than my Tri-Elmar, so I planned to get this one. And then after reading about itse weak AF I took the plunge for a used 55 1.8.

Despite your disappointment I love the picture of the woman in black – street photography in a dreamy misty pictorial style! Are you sure you don't want to make more like this?

Kirk