The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 50/1.8

Annna T

I'm sorry you got stung on this, but it's fine if you can just send it back to the retailer.

I don't use 50mm very often and hadn't acquired a 55mm f1.8. But I did want an AF 50 with a wider aperture than my Tri-Elmar, so I planned to get this one. And then after reading about itse weak AF I took the plunge for a used 55 1.8.

Despite your disappointment I love the picture of the woman in black – street photography in a dreamy misty pictorial style! Are you sure you don't want to make more like this?

Kirk
I have the FE 55mm F1.8 and love its ultrasharp rendering. My only nit is that it is a little on the long side. (I was accustomed to the Zeiss Contax G 45mm F2)

V

Vivek

I'm sorry you got stung on this, but it's fine if you can just send it back to the retailer.

I don't use 50mm very often and hadn't acquired a 55mm f1.8. But I did want an AF 50 with a wider aperture than my Tri-Elmar, so I planned to get this one. And then after reading about itse weak AF I took the plunge for a used 55 1.8.

Despite your disappointment I love the picture of the woman in black – street photography in a dreamy misty pictorial style! Are you sure you don't want to make more like this?

Kirk
Hi Kirk,

My monetary loss in the FE 50/1.8 was only ~2 Euros (that is because Calumet refunds for the regular shipping back but I did it with extra insurance. Great folks!) but the frustration (Sony) is enormous.

I have been noticing this mis-focus adventures creating something unexpected for some time now.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Nikon D300, AF Nikkor 50/1.8, Barcelona, 2008

I am "proficient" enough to do such with any gear now. From yesterday, for example.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
RX1R II, The Hague

So, good riddance to the FE 50/1.8!