The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Really, Really Struggling with Focusing Manually - A7RII

uhoh7

Really? I think it's the other way around.
Leica was forced to use unusually thin cover glass to make their "film" M lenses work on digital.
Sorry wrong. Nikon and Canon both have covers almost the same as the M240, very close. 1.0-1.2 mm. Sony is 1.9.

All of them are trying to make sure the "film" lenses work well, why on earth not?

No FF digital camera has sensor covers so thick as Sony.

Now, the M43 cameras, most all of them do :)

V

Vivek

Sorry wrong. Nikon and Canon both have covers almost the same as the M240, very close. 1.0-1.2 mm. Sony is 1.9.

All of them are trying to make sure the "film" lenses work well, why on earth not?

No FF digital camera has sensor covers so thick as Sony.
You are wrong!

I still have the sensors and their toppings from D70, D200, D40X, D80. It is way more than 2.5mm!

Sony's including the cover glass is 2.5mm (real physical measures) or less (NEX-5N).

iiiNelson

You are wrong!

I still have the sensors and their toppings from D70, D200, D40X, D80. It is way more than 2.5mm!

Sony's including the cover glass is 2.5mm (real physical measures) or less (NEX-5N).
Yeah... Vivek you are correct and you were the first that I know of that measured the sensor thickness.

The sensor cover glass thickness is really only an "issue" with SOME rangefinder glass. SLR lenses generally doesn't suffer from "corner smearing" or CA to the level of RF lenses (if at all)...

This subject has been beat to death and there's a sticky thread for using M-mount lenses on FE cameras though.

V

Vivek

Tre, Canon and Nikon have dust shakers that do not break that easily. They themselves are at least 1mm thick. Then there is the UV-IR cut and AA filter stack in addition to the permanent cover glass on the sensor.

It plain ridiculous to be claiming 1.2mm thick glass for Canikon.

iiiNelson

Tre, Canon and Nikon have dust shakers that do not break that easily. They themselves are at least 1mm thick. Then there is the UV-IR cut and AA filter stack in addition to the permanent cover glass on the sensor.

It plain ridiculous to be claiming 1.2mm thick glass for Canikon.
Yeah... I know. Micro 4/3 does as well... At least the Panasonic bodies have dust shakers.

iiiNelson

I never have to clean the E-M1/5/5.2 sensors.
So there must be a sensor cleaning mechanism as well, no?
Possibly. I don't own any Olympus cameras. One bad experience was enough for me to not buy another despite other people's admiration of them.

teeraash

Possibly. I don't own any Olympus cameras. One bad experience was enough for me to not buy another despite other people's admiration of them.
I've had bad experiences with M9, Chrom, and 240. But it is hard to resist the M11 which hopefully with Panasonic collaboration, Leica can give us the least quirky M.

iiiNelson

I've had bad experiences with M9, Chrom, and 240. But it is hard to resist the M11 which hopefully with Panasonic collaboration, Leica can give us the least quirky M.
I actually had great experiences with both M9's that I owned but I sold them and the lenses about 6 months after buying the first A7 and A7R bodies. I'm pretty firmly settled into the FE system until or unless I go into Medium Format someday. No need to invest into a different 35mm based system as it'll only give the possibility of marginal improvements.

The SL seems pretty nice and 3 or 4 years ago I would've bought one and maybe never looked very hard at Sony cameras. Alas, reality can be harder or at least more challenging than speculation.