The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 10mm e-mount lens available now

ecsh

An obvious attempt to stop lens sampling. I am sure it hurts sales, but i wonder how many people actually check the terms of a particular store?

V

Vivek

An obvious attempt to stop lens sampling. I am sure it hurts sales, but i wonder how many people actually check the terms of a particular store?
The lazy ones do not check the terms of sale.

FWIW, Calumet in the EU pays even for the return shipping!

TPV is really and truly a boutique shop. When you buy one of their used items you can buy with confidence that it's been fully tested and works, they keep relatively small inventory. A shop that's bigger can have a guy return an item with the customer only writing "not sharp!!!" on the paperwork, and simply return to vendor. TPV will check the item, see that it works and said customer was simply trying for a free rental, so as not to be taken advantage of. FUD dealers (fear, uncertainty, doubt) online have changed the photo landscape for enthusiasts that some people are never satisfied. While this is not the MOST customer friendly policy, it's understandable. The big box stores don't care because they can sell enough consumerist junk to more than make up for whatever paltry amounts they make on enthusiast gear. In fact customer service is all stores have now that Amazon exists, no one can compete on price. Customer experience is key here. TPV is best experienced by someone who can go to the store honestly. It's a really cool little shop with friendly service. And they will rent time on an Imacon scanner for film people.

UHDR

i was very interested until i saw the price. okay, it's not super-duper steep, but time is tight at the moment :grin:.

i can just about to put up with the the non-filter-able design if the price is similar to the magical 15mm.

now i will wait for more reviews before i push myself over the edge, lol.

im also waiting for the chinese-made Laowa 12mm F.2.8. yes bigger, heavier, but it's nikon mount which means i can put ND throttle on to get around the filter problem. :grin:

jfirneno

Some photos and impressions

So I got this lens end of last week and took it out. I like really wide focal lengths so take that into account. My impression is it's a very good hyper wide lens. Obviously the corners are not perfect. But they are acceptable. And the rest of the image is very good. I notice that it differs from the Zeiss look. More neutral.

I like it.

I put up a short initial review.

Voigtlander 10mm f\5.6 Review Part 1 – Orion's Cold Fire

These pictures are from it.

jfirneno

Very real risk of getting your toes in the frame when shooting verticals.
You ain't just whistling Dixie. One way I found to avoid this was using the camera electronic level to stay in the horizontal. Another thing that helped was using a monopod. It tends to make you stand a little behind the camera.

But I still have several toe shots.

jfirneno

Rainy day so here's a close up shot in the yard. It's a pretty bizarre optic but I think it's growing on me. I want to try this out in a real wide open landscape. I think the desert southwest would agree with it. Too bad I'm in New England for the present.

Annna T

It's a fun lens, so far no copy variation to speak of reported.
My lens is a keeper as well.
I find that such wide lenses are extremely difficult to handle for composition : if you aren't exactly parallel to the front of a building, it get way too easily skewed producing unpleasant results. If you position yourself to the side, the perspective effect becomes so strong that the result is very unnatural. And finally for landscapes you get way too much foreground,

jfirneno

I find that such wide lenses are extremely difficult to handle for composition : if you aren't exactly parallel to the front of a building, it get way too easily skewed producing unpleasant results. If you position yourself to the side, the perspective effect becomes so strong that the result is very unnatural. And finally for landscapes you get way too much foreground,
Definitely not a normal lens, for sure. It's kind of fun to figure out where it works. I've seen some interior shots that are very exciting. I'd like to try it in a Gothic cathedral. But they're scarce here in Connecticut. I intend to give it a chance in the desert southwest someday when I go visiting out there. I've got a photo on my living room wall that was taken at 12mm that features a Joshua Tree in the foreground and some mountains and clouds behind that I kinda like.

Also this lens will allow you to capture a scene in a cramped space that narrower lenses simply can't. I remember Michael Reichmann had an article on the Voigtlander 12mm on a Leica that featured a picture of the author and a friend sitting at a table in a diner and the angle of view made for a very interesting effect.

I guess basically it's a question of taste. Well, to each his own.

Last edited:
Here's an example of a shot which would have been (more or less) impossible without the 10mm lens. There were a number of telephone poles and parked cars along the curb in front of this building. To get this whole facade with any other lens would mean shooting from further away and having some of that distracting detail in the shot. With the 10mm, I stood on the sidewalk about 8 feet from the wall, and got the whole thing.

Walking around Fillmore-038.jpg

Larger version - https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeevangelist/27019590434/sizes/o/