The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where are the 100mm F2 lenses for shooting headshots?

dmward

When I was a young photographer my favorite lens for shooting portraits was the 150mm on the Hasselblad. Then the 105mm on a Nikon or the 90 on my M4.

I would love to find a 100mm F2 lens for my A7RII for headshots. In my view, 85 is a bit short.

Anyone with suggestions?

uhoh7

DSC05960 by unoh7, on Flickr

1963 Canon LTM 100/2 which is a fantastic lens. Rare though.

Wheelbarrow by unoh7, on Flickr

My Elk by unoh7, on Flickr

Now, at F/2 100mm a head shot is going to be 90% blurry. So the older version of the Nikkor 105/2.5 (sonnar) would also be something to consider.

For modern lenses, the ZF.2 100/2 is raved about.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Have a look for the OM ZUIKO AUTO F2 100mm .
This lens is extremely sharp , even at F2 . Its a MF lens and you will need an adapter . Price for a good lens will be around 600€ - 800€ on eBay .
Lenses from japanese seller are mostly in excellent condition .

SamSS

David, give Samyang 135mm f2 E-mount a try. It's fantastic.
Sharp wide open and practically not much to clean up.
I think most MFGs probably going to introduce an AF 135mm anytime now.
We have too many standard lenses.

V

Vivek

Ancient 10.5cm f/2.5 P.C. Nikkor (ltm)- Sonnar type or the F mount version of the same variety.

dmward

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'll add some conditions;
A) Auto focus. I've recently learned the benefit of eye auto focus and the focus button on the 24-70GM and the 70-200 G lenses.
B) When all I had were prime lenses I didn't like the 135mm focal length. It just felt a bit too long.
C) Most of the time I shoot headshots at F8, I like F2 for those situations when I want to get just the eye(s).
The eye auto focus capability probably means waiting for Sony or Zeiss to decide the want to make a fast portrait lens for me.

I wonder how long a wait that will be. :sleep:

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to explore some of them.

baudolino

Canon's 100/2 EF USM should do the work, with the Metabones Mark IV adapter, with AF and exif, I believe.

Or Summicron-S 100/2. On Leica SL with the just announced S-adapter L (or natively on Leica S where it becomes 80mm equivalent FOV). Not aware of any intelligent adapter for the Sony system for this marvel of a lens.

dmward

Canon's 100/2 EF USM should do the work, with the Metabones Mark IV adapter, with AF and exif, I believe.

Or Summicron-S 100/2. On Leica SL with the just announced S-adapter L (or natively on Leica S where it becomes 80mm equivalent FOV). Not aware of any intelligent adapter for the Sony system for this marvel of a lens.
I have a Metabones IV which for some reason has never given me the performance that others describe for auto focus.

100 mm F 2 does sound like a perfect combination. I didn't even know that Canon made one.

Since starting this thread I did pick up a Sony G 90mm Macro. I'll have to give that some serious consideration.

ohnri

When I was a young photographer my favorite lens for shooting portraits was the 150mm on the Hasselblad. Then the 105mm on a Nikon or the 90 on my M4.

I would love to find a 100mm F2 lens for my A7RII for headshots. In my view, 85 is a bit short.

Anyone with suggestions?
I would either consider:

1. 85GM or Batis and crop or use on an a6300

2. Use the forthcoming 70-200GM at 2.8

3. Use the great 90/2.8

Any of theses will deliver excellent headshots.

Saxbike

I prefer this focal length as well and shot for many years with a Nikkor 105mm f2.5 on Nikon F2. A marvelous lens for portraiture, etc. When my principal camera was the a850 I purchased a Minolta AF 100mm f2 and paired it with the Minolta 35mm f2. It is a fantastic combination for A mount system. Since I have been shooting the a7, I use the Minolta 100mm f2 with the LAE4 adapter, a Contax/Zeiss G 90mm f2.8, and the old Nikkor 105mm. The Minolta is my favorite, has very accurate AF, and creates fantastic IQ on the a7. I have tried both a Metabones and a Fotodiox adapters for the Contax. and find both to be very cumbersome and sometimes downright ornery. So the Minolta jumps on my a7 most of the time. It is an exceptional lens; probably one of the best lenses in the Maxxum stable.
Henry

ecsh

I prefer this focal length as well and shot for many years with a Nikkor 105mm f2.5 on Nikon F2. A marvelous lens for portraiture, etc. When my principal camera was the a850 I purchased a Minolta AF 100mm f2 and paired it with the Minolta 35mm f2. It is a fantastic combination for A mount system. Since I have been shooting the a7, I use the Minolta 100mm f2 with the LAE4 adapter, a Contax/Zeiss G 90mm f2.8, and the old Nikkor 105mm. The Minolta is my favorite, has very accurate AF, and creates fantastic IQ on the a7. I have tried both a Metabones and a Fotodiox adapters for the Contax. and find both to be very cumbersome and sometimes downright ornery. So the Minolta jumps on my a7 most of the time. It is an exceptional lens; probably one of the best lenses in the Maxxum stable.
Henry
I have a mint copy on the way from Ebay for my A7ii, to try as well. I expect it to perform very well. A bonus is also its size.
Joe

Saxbike

The temptation has become too great and "lens lust" has gotten the best of me. Despite my love of the Minolta 100mm f2, I just ordered a used copy of the Zeiss Batis 85mm. I am anxious to compare the two lenses and the two focal lengths.
Henry

Saxbike

As they say--post the pics. Here is a comparison of the Batis 85mm and the old Minolta 100mm f2. I did one with the Sony/Zeiss 55mm f1.8. These are all exceptional lenses. I think I prefer the more abrupt OOF transition on the Batis. I left them uncropped so you can see the "football" bokeh displayed on the righthand side of the Minolta shot.

Batis 85mm f1.8 @f2

Lens: E 85mm F1.8
Aperture: f/2.0
Exposure Time: 0.002 sec (1/640)
ISO: 320

Minolta 100mm f2 @f2

Lens: 100mm F2
Exposure Time: 0.003 sec (1/400)

Batis 85mm f1.8 @f2

Lens: E 85mm F1.8
Exposure Time: 1/6400 sec

Minolta 100mm f2 @f2

Lens: 100mm F2
Exposure Time: 1/2500 sec

ZA 55mm f1.8 @f2

Lens: FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
Exposure Time: 1/4000 sec

_DSC4864

Stefan Steib

I have the old Canon FD f2.0/100mm and the f2.0/135mm , both with edmika Canon EF Mounts.

Very nice lenses for that money, hard to beat. The f2.0/100 is not so common though, but there are sometimes nice pieces from Japan for starting at 350 €.
The 135mm is phantastic, maybe not quite like the Apo Sonnar f2/135 , but it has more "mojo" /aka Character than the Zeiss, which is crazy good , but also CLEAN !

And the mechanics of these old lenses are a permanent joy to use. 30 years old and still like smooth and silky.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan