The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Atomos 4K Recorders

iiiNelson

I've been looking into getting into doing more video now that I have the A7RII which can do 4K. Does anyone here have any experience with any of the Atomos Recorders. I see that many videographers swear by them when working with none standard video camcorders. I know that it's a much bigger expense for the occasional dabbling into video but it may be able to minimize/eliminate some of the video artifacts that one experiences with using a digital camera for video.

V

Vivek

All I know is that they are quite expensive here but are more reasonable over in the US.

If you are conscious of bulk, this is one doodah you do not want.

Don't the latest iphone and such record 4K?

iiiNelson

All I know is that they are quite expensive here but are more reasonable over in the US.

If you are conscious of bulk, this is one doodah you do not want.

Don't the latest iphone and such record 4K?
I'm not always conscious of bulk. Yes my iPhone technically records 4K but so does my A7RII. I'm asking about first hand experience from Sony users beyond the reviews that I've read though for purposes stated above.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm not always conscious of bulk. Yes my iPhone technically records 4K but so does my A7RII. I'm asking about first hand experience from Sony users beyond the reviews that I've read though for purposes stated above.
I have had extensive experience with 4K recorders on many cameras ... Sony A7s as one of them. They have great advantages in providing a more robust codec which withstands grading to a more extensive degree, longer record times, supply time code and give you zebra, false color, peaking ang magnification on a very decent screen.

I tend to mount mine on tripod with a Noga arm so that the bulk does not affect the balance of camera when panning.

I prefer the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q+ over the others ... A bit more expensive but you will not need to upgrade any time soon.

A decent discussion on just this topic by Andrew Reid:

http://www.eoshd.com/2016/06/blackmagic-view-assist-4k-review/

I doubt if you work with one for any amount of you will ever want to be without one for any serious project .... More like shooting RAW rather than in camera JPG for stills.

Bob

MrSmith

I have recently purchased a ninja assassin, I seem to have lucked out and got the free power station and batteries but also got the recently reduced price drop too:toocool: I don't think that was supposed to happen.
Not used it with a Sony yet but recently did a B camera job on DSLR's and used it for that, I couldn't not film without an external monitor/recorder now. The inbuilt scopes were a real help, far better than the histogram. Can't comment on the codec/recording quality yet though.

iiiNelson

Tre, No need to get testy. Had one briefly and dumped it quickly- that is my personal experience for you, in plain speak. :LOL:

FWIW: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/56064-i-just-assassinated-my-a7s.html?highlight=atomos
Didn't mean my reply to come across in a testy way in my mind. I do/did expect some rationale and reasoning behind getting rid of it.

Did it not meet your expectations? Was the quality lacking? Was there an extreme learning curve? Was it not user friendly when used with your software of choice? Did you find yourself not using it quite enough to justify costs? Discussion is a good thing.

V

Vivek

Very similar expectations like you before the purchase (occasional light use). In reality very little (in hindsight, not a surprise) use and it was not worth the bother.

Plus, my more involved application for a 4K (ultraviolet) video is frozen at the moment.

Bottom line, if you see serious use, I owuld get it.

If you are dabbling in video because 'hey, why not?' then the Atomos recorders are great -- small, reliable, easy to use. If you are getting one because this is your job, go with Convergent Designs. The multi cam features on the Apollo is incredible.