The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Hasselblad Lunar E mount

pegelli

I've seen some similar deals before (eg. at B&H), selling the Hasselblad branded lenses at or below the equivalent Sony prices.
In this example you can get a leather pouch and ~10 € discount vs. buying the Sony version.

I think it's just a way to clear old stock.

Annna T

What has become of this? I see a lens from them with a custom leather pouch on super sale. Are there any more coming? Is this a viable system?

Hasselblad LF 16mm F/2.8 voor Lunar E-mount | www.kamera-express.nl
I think that I have read on Sonyalpharumors that Hasselblad was discontinuing the lunar and that there won't be any new cam in that series. Seems it was a marketing flop and they decided to recenter to their original business. But I know you : don't ask for a link, I didn't keep track of it.

V

Vivek

I would actually appreciate any official Hasselblad (or Sony who enabled it) announcement that the Lunar E mount line is discontinued.

pegelli

Actions speak louder then words, the Lunar doesn't show on the Hasselblad products website anymore.

V

Vivek

That is strange as the Hasselblad LF 16/2.8 is being sold with 2 year warranty. This would imply that it will be serviced (not just the leather pouch) by Hasselblad for quite some time to come.

pegelli

I think 2 years warranty is required by law so it's difficult to skimp on that. I don't think Hasselblad will service it if something is wrong with it (even when the "line" was still active), easy to outsource to a 3rd party, even Sony does that. :cussing:

ecsh

I bought that lens when B&H had it on sale for $100.00. It was actually pretty sharp on my A6000. Later sold it for the same money. Looks identical to the Sony unit, with the exception of the wording on the body.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

iiiNelson

I would actually appreciate any official Hasselblad (or Sony who enabled it) announcement that the Lunar E mount line is discontinued.
They announced the celestial product lines being discontinued a couple of years back which is when the "deals" first started to clear stock. You can probably Google the press release I assume. I guess it's no worse than all of the other special addition cameras that come for other brands even if overpriced IMO. Sometimes it's just about buying what you like for some people.

Leica marked up Panasonic cameras (and a Sony camera with a fixed lens) exponentially as well... Nevermind the fact they charge you more to remove features. Fuji and Olympus sell "titanium" versions of their cameras. Sony replaces them before a special edition makes sense. Hasselblad make Ferrari versions. Phase One handicaps the features of their versions with the best color. So all brands make business choices that some would find questionable at best. It works for them though so who am I to argue?

iiiNelson

So, the Lunar E mount is dead?
It actually has been for some time now. I don't think people will forgive them ever though though it's nothing that needs to be forgiven. The market decided it wasn't in their best interest and losing money is one of the hardest lessons learned.

pegelli

So, the Lunar E mount is dead?
I think everybody can draw their own conclusion. From my perspective I think it was DOA, but they sold some units (for instance one to David Beckham). But overall I guess it wasn't the commercial success they hoped it would be :loco:

Last edited: