The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The second RX1R II...

V

Vivek

After quite a bit of struggle, I got my 2nd sample of the RX1R II that does not suffer from the EVF light leak. It just passed 5000 clicks.

The image review button has become totally unresponsive (DEAD).

Looks like I have to send in my camera for service.

I am not happy as there is no replacement for it while it is gone. :cussing:

FWIW, I have never had this sort of issues with the original A7 series cameras (or the NEX' before them) at all.

The Ute

After quite a bit of struggle, I got my 2nd sample of the RX1R II that does not suffer from the EVF light leak. It just passed 5000 clicks.

The image review button has become totally unresponsive (DEAD).

Looks like I have to send in my camera for service.

I am not happy as there is no replacement for it while it is gone. :cussing:

FWIW, I have never had this sort of issues with the original A7 series cameras (or the NEX' before them) at all.
Bad luck Vivek. :(
I haven't had a lick of trouble w mine.

V

Vivek

Over at FM forums someone pointed to the "hard reset" possibilities with Sony cameras. One presses a series of buttons in a sequence.

Finding that sequence for the RX1R II needs special powers.

If anyone figures that out, please let me know. TIA. :)

Tim

Over at FM forums someone pointed to the "hard reset" possibilities with Sony cameras. One presses a series of buttons in a sequence.

Finding that sequence for the RX1R II needs special powers.

If anyone figures that out, please let me know. TIA. :)
Try holding the power button for 30 seconds

V

Vivek

Bart and Tim, Thanks.

I heard back from the reapir service (to whom Sony farms out theirs) and according to them a reset won't work and I have to send in my camera.

Hulyss Bowman

Why do you not get a RX1r instead of the r2 ? Ok there is no EVF but it is a darn good camera and seems like it as less problems too.

V

Vivek

Why do you not get a RX1r instead of the r2 ? Ok there is no EVF but it is a darn good camera and seems like it as less problems too.
Huylyss, With no disrespect to the users of the RX1, it is not an useful camera for me and for my use. There is not only a built in EVF (and in its place a puny pop up flash which is a disgrace), or a tilt LCD or an usable hotshoe, the AF in the RX1R II is just awesome and overall it truly is a second generation camera in its category.

I am sure the issues with my camera will be fixed in due course.

Pradeep

Sorry to hear about your troubles Vivek. Mine has been working like a charm (got a quick exchange from Sony here for the light leak problem).

In fact it has become my favorite little camera. I take it everywhere I go. Leave the A7RII at home unless I am going to a destination or I am the designated photographer at a family event (oh how I do my best to avoid that).

V

Vivek

The camera is now at the repair center. ~ 2 weeks wait for the fix.

V

Vivek

After 2 weeks they have determined that the part they need is not in stock with them and have ordered it! Hopefully, that part will be airlifted ...

V

Vivek

Repair shop says that the Sony part is scheduled to be delivered to them today and it will be fixed "ASAP".

V

Vivek

Repair shop acknowledged the receipt of the part from Sony today but have no clue what they did or did not do with it.

In case anyone is thinking of buying a RX1R II for €4,199/- (better with 2 year warranty. I would not buy an out of warranty camera) i hope they would think carefully.

Losing close to 2 months out of 24 months (warranty) is deplorable.

V

Vivek

I am beginning to wonder what was so wrong with the camera that it takes two months to fix? A design flaw perhaps?

V

Vivek

As suspected, it is beyond the farmed out repair shop's capability to fix the camera. They are "consulting" Sony how to do it!

They could have just shipped the camera to Sony Japan and gotten it back fixed in the past two months! :angry:

V

Vivek

This can not be made up!

I got a text message yesterday from the repair center that my camera is ready.

I went there today to pick it up. At the counter, i was asked why i am there!

I told them that they sent a message saying that my camera was fixed and ready for pick up.

I was asked to wait and then told that the camera could not be fixed!

They said that Sony or the camera shop that sold the camera will get in touch with me soon!

If there is no adequate reimbursement, i think i will have to look at a legal course against Sony.

If anyone is contemplating buying a RX1R II, read this thread before deciding!

V

Vivek

The brands serviced by the tech center in Bergen op Zoom (covers the Netherlands, Luxumberg and Belgium). In case, you want to avoid getting in to a system to avoid trouble.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

To acknowledge Sony, a topman in Holland responded to my email immediately and will look into the issue.