The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII and 21mm w AF

The Ute

I'm looking for a great 21mm option w AF for the A7RII.
Anyone have any suggestions ?
Also, does anyone use the Contax G 21mm via Techart version 3 on the A7R ?

thanks in advance.

V

Vivek

Only decent option is the FE 28/2 + SEL075.

(Or the Bates 18 + cropping which would work out to the same number of pixels considering that you will have to correct a huge distortion with the FE lens combo)

Techart or whatever adapter, the Contax 21 is a lemon on A7 cameras.

PS: Adapted lenses- A mount lenses, Canon, Leica (21/1.4) plus techart and such... few options there..

Annna T

I'm looking for a great 21mm option w AF for the A7RII.
Anyone have any suggestions ?
Also, does anyone use the Contax G 21mm via Techart version 3 on the A7R ?

thanks in advance.
Forget about it : it produces smeared corners. A real pity since that lens is so light and was so sharp on the original Contax G2. Plus you will have to cut the two plastic little wings standing in the rear.

The Ute

My thanks to the both of you for responding.
The Loxia is a great option but I'm not interested in manual focus.
Most likely I will just stay w the Batis 25 then.
18mm is too wide for my purposes.
Shame that about that Contax G 21.
It's really small and light.
I prefer a smaller lighter weight setup.
Do not like all the new bigger and heavier options.

serhan

Techart M af adapter + CV 21mm 1.8 should work.

Michiel Schierbeek

Sigma Art 20/1.4 in Canon mount with the best AF adapter out there. I don't know that right now. Will be a bit big all together.

CalBoy87

You may get AF with Loxia, using Tech Pro adapter and LM-NEX adapter. Expensive and bit cumbersome to put adapter on the native mount lens, but is doable.

I believe TechArt offers an option that you haven't considered yet:

They make an additional adapter for their adapter, so that you can use classic Zeiss lenses in C/Y mount. Apparently other brands of C/Y adapters won't fit on the TechArt AF adapter, but theirs will. Then you can mount the Zeiss 21mm f2.8 Distagon.

This is a retrofocus lens, so you won't have the corner problems that occur with M lenses.

I don't have a C/Y 21mm, but I regularly use 25mm as a 'bridge' between WATE and MATE. I also have Zeiss C/Y 28, 35, 50, and the f3.4 35-70. This series of lenses (esp the Kubrick 'Hollywood' 28) are classics. They competed head to head with R lenses, and even E. Putts said it was an even match.

So my guess is that you'll like the C/Y 21 IF you like pre-Karbe Leica lenses.

Please be our Beta tester for this and show us the results? :thumbs::thumbup::thumbdown::

Kirk

Last edited:

pegelli

Hmm. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Sony E-mount flange focal distance 18mm
Leica M-mount flange focal distance 27.8mm

How is this supposed to work? :bugeyes:
With an AF adapter of ~9.8 mm minimum thickness with an M-female mount and an E-male mount.

EDIT (after reading Vivek's post) : Loxia's are not available in M-mount, only E-mount so indeed this doesn't work :(

Last edited:

Annna T

Obviously it will not work.

A whole lot of cash down the drain for futile close-ups.
I think that the discussion has drifted elsewhere : Kirk is no more speaking of the Loxia 21mm when he proposes the TechArt adapter, but of an older Contax/Yashica Distagon 21mm F2.8 that was designed for SLRs.

CalBoy87

With an AF adapter of ~9.8 mm minimum thickness with an M-female mount and an E-male mount.

EDIT (after reading Vivek's post) : Loxia's are not available in M-mount, only E-mount so indeed this doesn't work :(
My mistake, looks like only option would be either Voigtlander 21 Ultron or Contax 21 Distagon with adapters

iiiNelson

Mine could use the Zeiss ZM lenses in lieu of a Loxia I'm not sure how the 21/2.8 performs on the A7RII but it was one of the better performers on the M.