The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tamron SP 45 mm f1.8 for TS on HCam Master TS, HCam-B1 and Alpa FPS

Stefan Steib

As I have tested all 4 new Tamron SP Prime lenses for digit! magazin 04/2016 , one of the many interesting findings was, that the 45mm has a huge image circle.
Stopped down to f11 I was able to shift 12mm horizontally and 15mm vertically in both directions with my HCam Master TS V2 on my Sony A7RII.
That would also enable MF Backs on HCam -B1 or Alpa FPS to be used with that 45mm. The lens has very decent sharpness and of course: for a wideangle(on MF ) a very nice opening of f1,8. And - it is an IF lens, the front lens stands still, only the back lens moves when focusing, which results in extreme resistance to flare.

A very nice lens.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Attachments

V

Vivek

Let us hope that the upcoming Fuji medium format cam will have a focal plane shutter. :)

Owen

Hi Stefan, do you have a clear idea of how sharp it is at the edges when shifted? Perhaps compared to something like a Hasselblad 50 CF? Or perhaps at which point sharpness noticeably begins to drop off. I'm loving using the Canon 16-35/4 for hotel rooms, but when shifted more than a few mm it's still noticeably less sharp than the 24 TSII. Would be interesting to have a shift lens that could occasionally be used for portraits when required.

iiiNelson

I wouldn't mind seeing this Tamron lenses in FE mount. The 45/1.8 seems like a nice walk around prime.

Stefan Steib

Hi Stefan, do you have a clear idea of how sharp it is at the edges when shifted? Perhaps compared to something like a Hasselblad 50 CF? Or perhaps at which point sharpness noticeably begins to drop off. I'm loving using the Canon 16-35/4 for hotel rooms, but when shifted more than a few mm it's still noticeably less sharp than the 24 TSII. Would be interesting to have a shift lens that could occasionally be used for portraits when required.
Hi Owen

sorry no, there was not enough time with the testing samples to do intensive TS tests as well, but from what I can say about the behaviour of the lens on the 24x36 sensor, it becomes really sharp even on the borders from f4 and up. And as you should use such a shifted lens with a proper working aperture anyway, I am pretty sure that f11 will be very good.

A Hasselblad HC50 has a larger image circle projected out of the box and costs about 5x as much ? So I would guess (at least it should be) sharper on the corners than the Tamron.

Regards
Stefan

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't mind seeing this Tamron lenses in FE mount. The 45/1.8 seems like a nice walk around prime.
45mm is nearly like the 43,3mm human vision on normal. Very well feeling lens for a walkaround.

Owen

I've got a Hasselblad CF 50 and Pentax 645 55, neither are quite perfect. Still looking for that elusive lens!

Stefan Steib

btw -the new f2,8/90mm is OUTSTANDING - from f2,8 onward ! (I used an MC11 for all the tests - perfect focus out of the box)
I have rarely seen such a sharp lens with such a versatility for that price. My absolute favourite of the 4, probably I will buy one myself.
And - another hint: it is a perfect IR Lens as well. No Hotspot even at 950nm crisp and sharp like crazy.
There is a sample image in my article.

regards
Stefan