The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony SEL075 UWC

V

Vivek

Recently, i bought one from Guy (Thanks Guy! :) ) . This is custom modified to fit the Sony RX1R II (which is still at the repair shop).

While it works well with wider lenses like the Sony FE 28/2 it was made for and Sone E 16/20 (same bayonet connection), there is something interesting mismatch on the longer FE 55/1.8.

On this lens, the UWC, besides making it wider also projects fuzzy, dreamy images with a glow from f/1.8 to f/2.5. This effect is kept at all focus distances all the way to infinity. It is gone by f/4 though.

Because of the fuzz, AF does not work well and manual focus is mandatory.

I will post some samples when I get some more time.

V

Vivek

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

RX1R II (#3) with the SEL075 UWC, f/7.1

This UW converter is fine for close ups. At infinity, the CA, smearing etc, is a bit too much.

Audii-Dudii

Actually, I find it to be a better performer / more useful than just for closeups ... at least for the type of photography I do with it and when mounted on an RX1, anyway.

Perhaps the RX1RII's higher-res sensor is more revealing of its flaws?

Focus distance for this photo was ~15 feet and at f8, there's enough resolution to see individual tines at the very top of the saguaro. I don't think I've ever used it at infinity, though, nor with the lens more open than f5.6, so who knows?

Last edited: