The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 100mm f/2.8 macro

gsking

:thumbup:
Greg,

The lens is fine in terms of resolution and sharpness. But I guess we Zeiss users have come to expect certain characteristics that are lacking in the 100 macro, not only build quality but also micro-contrast and colors.
I hear you. That's just it, though...it's not a CZ. I guess if one is coming new to Sony, expecting CZ across the board, it would stand to reason you'd want more CZ glass.

Not that I would see microcontrast if it hit me in the face. :ROTFL:

I'll agree I hate what Sony did to most of the lens bodies. Not that I think they feel bad...I'm not that picky. It's just that they LOOK bad. I'M THAT PICKY! :thumbup:

The only Sony lens I own is the 35G. It has a nicer mottled finish metal body. I have Minolta lenses in all the other variants, including the 100mm macro, 100mm soft focus, and 100mm f/2.

I would be interested to see how you pro cats would rate the 100/2. It's amazing wide open, on film or digital. But I may just be rating it on bokeh ...and macrocontrast. :p

Greg

douglasf13

Ha, that's funny. I actually prefer the clean Sony look to my Minolta lenses. The Zeiss primes are simply beautiful.

Quentin_Bargate

A900 and 100 macro as a stock tool

While the Sony 100mm Macro leaves something to be desired in terms of absolute image quality, it is capable of reasonable results. The image below is a combo of three shots taken in the last day or two for stock. I make money from the A900 so my comments on it and its lenses is not merely of casual interest.

One "problem" is the depth of field is greater than with medium format digital. This can be a disadvantage in some cases.

Quentin

jonoslack

Re: A900 and 100 macro as a stock tool

One "problem" is the depth of field is greater than with medium format digital. This can be a disadvantage in some cases.

Quentin
Hi Quentin - you clearly need the 135 f1.8 - less dof and better bokeh, and focusing down to .7 of a metre means it would have been grand for any of these shots.
:p

How's the STF . . . and more to the point, how's the computer?

dhsimmonds

I would never have thought of using the 100/2.8 macro for portrait work......but it was on the camera when my youngest grandson, enjoying his second birthday, just had to be photographed in his new play tent. Well stopped down to cater for lively movements in the plane of focus!

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Quentin - you clearly need the 135 f1.8 - less dof and better bokeh, and focusing down to .7 of a metre means it would have been grand for any of these shots.
:p

How's the STF . . . and more to the point, how's the computer?
Jono,

Computer is b*ggered. A new one arrives I hope before Easter with latest Intel chip and 6gb ram. Still a Windows machine. Also buying Adobe CS4 suite (in for a penny, etc, plus just received a royalty cheque for the book).

I love the STF and I'm glad I purchased it. Its a nuttier choice than the obviously excellent Zeiss, but then again I have the 85mm F1.4. and the STF just does one thing supremely well, but as it has two irises you can switch between, it can be used on auto as well as a normal and very sharp 135mm if needed. No longitudinal CA I can see either.

I'm inclined to think I was to harsh on the 100 macro. Its not tops but it does a job, as many have shown, yourself included, with some nice shots, like Dave's portrait as an example.

I now need a Sony flash for fill flash

jonoslack

Jono,

Computer is b*ggered. A new one arrives I hope before Easter with latest Intel chip and 6gb ram. Still a Windows machine. Also buying Adobe CS4 suite (in for a penny, etc, plus just received a royalty cheque for the book).
Deary me . . . some people never learn! A new mac pro with 8gb RAM and you could always run windows on it . . . we have one in the office with 16Gb RAM, and it's running Ubuntu, Windows server 2008, XP, Vista and Windows 7 . . . all quite comfortably together with the Mac OS. it's fast, functional and very beautiful.
I love the STF and I'm glad I purchased it. Its a nuttier choice than the obviously excellent Zeiss, but then again I have the 85mm F1.4. and the STF just does one thing supremely well, but as it has two irises you can switch between, it can be used on auto as well as a normal and very sharp 135mm if needed. No longitudinal CA I can see either.
I don't think that's a nutter choice. . . . if I already had the 85 1.4, it would seem like a no brainer. much more sensible than that windows machine:p

I'm inclined to think I was to harsh on the 100 macro. Its not tops but it does a job, as many have shown, yourself included, with some nice shots, like Dave's portrait as an example.

I now need a Sony flash for fill flash
Hmmm. yes. I think the 100mm macro is a bit of a dog from a design, ergonomics point of view, but the image quality seems pretty good. . . . and isn't Dave's portrait nice!

Which flash are you going for? I think I'm going to have to buy one too.

Still, I hope you're still as pleased with the A900 as I am; a camera to like

Braeside

Can I chip in with a quick word about the flash system?

If you will want to use the Sony wireless flash system to control other off-board Sony/Minolta flashes, then be aware that only the Sony HVL-58AM can act as a wireless controller flash. In other words you need to buy the most expensive flash they make just to control any other flashes if you want to use the Sony "wireless" (actually infrared) system.

Previous Sony/Minolta cameras that had built in pop-up flashes could use their own flash as the wireless controller, so this A900 is a retrograde step. Sony should have produced a small inexpensive controller flash IMO.

jonoslack

Hi David,

Don't worry, I can't speak for Jono, but I suspect neither of us are considering a budget Sony flash :D

Quentin
No, I suppose not . . . perhaps we should drag Albert into this discussion (have you seen that he has appeared in the pictures thread?).

Quentin_Bargate

No time like the present - Sony HVL-F58AM just ordered from Warehousexpress. Should arrive tomorrow.

And get Albert over here!!!

jonoslack

No time like the present - Sony HVL-F58AM just ordered from Warehousexpress. Should arrive tomorrow.

And get Albert over here!!!
I'm in the dangerous situation that Warehouseexpress is only a 15 minute drive from here aaaaaarrrrrrhhhhhh!!!!!

We just had to get Silas a company car (the deal was that if he increased the turnover by 25% . . . ) So flash guns are out this month!

Braeside

Hi David,

Don't worry, I can't speak for Jono, but I suspect neither of us are considering a budget Sony flash :D

Quentin
Just wanted to make sure that you were clued in as to the status of the wireless flash system on the Sony - the 58-AM I am going to have to get as I have a pair of Minolta 3600 flashes that can only be controlled with that flash on the A900, previously I could use the popup flash on the A700 to fire them.

However, not a priority at present, I am waiting for the 135/1.8 to arrive today - I was convinced it was going to turn up when I was out at the dentist this morning, but it didn't.

Quentin_Bargate

I need to sell some of my no longer used gear, including my SB28. I have cash tied up in a lot of kit that is excellent but not being used. the Mamiya ZD is a prime example. I'm not saying the Sony is perfect - its not - but it has replaced the rest except the Sigma DP1 for just about everything except a lingering intention to look at using 8x10 film again at some stage....

And I have ambitions to rack up the stock side to become a genuine significant second income stream. Currently it runs at about $600 per month where is has been stuck for a while, marking time as I trickle-feed new work. Been trying to persuade old Charles G. to send work to stock libraries. I'll see him tomorrow at BNI.

cheers

Quentin

dhsimmonds

Quentin

I shall be interested to learn of your views on the Sony HVL-F58AM flash gun.

I like it a lot as a very versatile flash. I like it a lot better than the 54MZ-4i.

Having said that I prefer not to use flash at all if possible, except for a bit of daylight fill in where absolutely needed.

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin

I shall be interested to learn of your views on the Sony HVL-F58AM flash gun.

I like it a lot as a very versatile flash. I like it a lot better than the 54MZ-4i.

Having said that I prefer not to use flash at all if possible, except for a bit of daylight fill in where absolutely needed.
I shall report back in due course. It ought to arrive tomorrow.

I really want to use it for fill flash too. Generally outside the studio, I prefer natural light, but fill flash, used carefully, can make a positive difference.

And anyway, it looks to be a heck of a gadget :toocool:

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

Intial report is the HVL-F58AM is very good. Pretty large for a hot shoe flash

Here is a quick comparion with and without the HVL-F58AM used as fill-flash. The gun will sync at all shutter speeds, so fill flash is a breeze. My youngest son fresh out of bed at the crack of midday :rolleyes: Obviously the right image is with flash, direct on-Camera, DxO defaults from CS4. Lens is the 135 STF.