The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 100mm f/2.8 macro

Braeside

Glad you like it Quentin. I will eventually get one, as I want to use it to control my other Minolta 3600HS D flashes, they will do for a small fill flash for now, though nowhere near as versatile as the lovely swivel design of the 58-AM.

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Douglas,

Thanks - bit of an exercise in rim lighting for the first two:)

And the 100mm macro did a decent job in these examples.

and the wine, I hear you ask... Leoville Barton 2001, one of Bordeaux finest. One talks about "drinking in" a picture; well in this case I complied literally by drinking the props :ROTFL:

Quentin

jonoslack

Hi Douglas,

Thanks - bit of an exercise in rim lighting for the first two:)

And the 100mm macro did a decent job in these examples.

and the wine, I hear you ask... Leoville Barton 2001, one of Bordeaux finest. One talks about "drinking in" a picture; well in this case I complied literally by drinking the props :ROTFL:

Quentin
Very Nice Quentin (both the pictures and the wine)
I'm a little horrified that you allowed such splendid wine to get so close to such a naff corkscrew though :p

Quentin_Bargate

Very Nice Quentin (both the pictures and the wine)
I'm a little horrified that you allowed such splendid wine to get so close to such a naff corkscrew though :p
Hi Jono,

Molto grazie :) As to the corkscrew, it works - which, where wine is concerned, is all that matters when you fancy a glass (although it's still too young to be at its best...rather like you and me, Jono :thumbs: )

Quentin

bavanor

Quentin,

I think jonoslack is right, you need a more manly cork screw. Maybe something like this. :D

Aaron

dhsimmonds

The 100 macro is not that bad a lens really.......it is just at 1/1 macro range that it doesn't quite come up to par with a Zeiss or Leica. At slightly longer focal distances it is a very good lens indeed in IMHO. I snapped this in the pouring rain yesterday, by peering in through a gap in a tent housing an orchestra at an outdoor event:-[img click to see the larger image.

The light was dull and awful, the camera and lens got very, very wet but I got totally drenched! It proved that the A900 seals are not bad and the lens can take it too. More importantly I got my shot!

dhsimmonds

The 100 macro is not that bad a lens really.......it is just at 1/1 macro range that it doesn't quite come up to par with a Zeiss or Leica. At slightly longer focal distances it is a very good lens indeed in IMHO. I snapped this in the pouring rain yesterday, by peering in through a gap in a tent housing an orchestra at an outdoor event:-[img click to see the larger image. About a 100% crop BTW.

The light was dull and awful, the camera and lens got very, very wet but I got totally drenched! It proved that the A900 seals are not bad and the lens can take it too. More importantly I got my shot!

edwardkaraa

Fully agreed Dave. My personal problem with this lens is that I use it mostly at 1:1, and this is where its resolution drops. I keep reminded of this every time I use it, but there is no other option at this time.

N

nautilus

Fully agreed Dave. My personal problem with this lens is that I use it mostly at 1:1, and this is where its resolution drops. I keep reminded of this every time I use it, but there is no other option at this time.
You are one, Edward! :D
I remember your first impression of this lens 'a piece of rubbish'. :ROTFL:

But now you are absolutely right. I would even say that we can see the lens degrade it's picture quality above 1:2 step by step. Despite it's focussing disabilities as a macro lens it's among the Sony/Minolta lenses that deliver the finest picture quality in all-around shooting situations.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Guys, try the Sigma 70 mm macro - I'm very pleased with the IQ of mine. First time I've used a macro lens with stabilization - thanks to Sony's SSS.

Bill

K

keith_h

Although this thread is 12 months old, any chance of putting up the unnacceptably soft macro images so I can take a look. I'm interested in the quality you were getting and really wondering if you got a dud lens.