The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Older metabones EF to E with A7rII issue

MrSmith

I have one of the first metabones adapters for canon EF to E, the ones where there were flare issues which meant you had to black flock the inside, I used this with no problems on an A7r but now it will not stop the lens down on my A7r II.
Will I have to buy a more modern version to get this functionality?

I have never changed the firmware on the metabones since it was purchased (if it's not broken don't fix it)

Annna T

I have one of the first metabones adapters for canon EF to E, the ones where there were flare issues which meant you had to black flock the inside, I used this with no problems on an A7r but now it will not stop the lens down on my A7r II.

I have never changed the firmware on the metabones since it was purchased (if it's not broken don't fix it)
I own two Metabones adapters, one is the third version and one the fourth version if I remember correctly. Both adapters work as intended with my A7rm2, but I think I have updated the firmware of the older one.

I just checked Metabones website : only the adapter Mark IV can be updated. The Mark III has to be sent to Metabones for servicing.

What the updates does concerns mainly AF, which is made compatible with the hybrid AF of the Arm2. If you have problems with the aperture, first check that both the adapter and the lens are well fitted together. It occurs me sometimes that the contact isn't fully linked and that prevents the adapter from working.

That fact just remembered me why I had got the IV version : it was too cumbersome to send it outside of the country and I didn't want to go to the trouble of treating the adapter against flare.

Note that without the update or with the III version of the adapter, focusing will remain as slow as with the A7r, because only contrast detection will be used.

There is more info on the Metabones website : Metabones®

Last edited:

MrSmith

yes mine is the MkIII
it worked fine on the A7r, I’m not bothered about AF but as you say if it has to be sent away then i guess i’ll investigate another adapter that works with the A7rII

miska

I have version III of the metabones, and I found that the AF is much much faster on the A7RII compared to the A7R, even with my old adapter version.
I use the Canon 24-70mm 2.8II, and upgrading the camera from the original A7R to the A7RII boosted AF speed dramatically. It is now very usable, despite using the old III-version of the metabones.
It could be that all III versions are not equal, and depending on the firmware version, you get fast AF or not. I am really happy with the update, I wasn't expecting an improvement in the AF department with my old adapter, but it is really dramatically better on the A7RII.

ErikKaffehr

Does the camera detect the lens?

The first Metabones 4 I had was very unreliable on the A7rII, after that I got another one that works fine, fingers crossed. That said, I had also some hang ups with the new adapter.

Best regards
Erik

MrSmith

Well my pro dealer had a used metabones which after looking at it was found to be a MK III but a store down the road had a sigma adapter so I decided to purchase that and maybe send off the MK III to Hong Kong for a firmware update.
Not used the sigma yet but will be interested to see how the AF will work with the 24-70 2.8 II canon. I haven't investigated AF yet as I'm either filming or using an Actus.

mbroomfield

I returned a MkIII to MB but had them switch it for a MkIV T (at added cost of course). Well worth it as I can now update the FW myself.