The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wired Shutter Release for A7rII

MedShooter

Hi everyone, I haven't posted here in a while.

I'm trying to sync my A7rII to a third party piece of hardware that includes a a 6.3mm shutter sync port that allows the syncing of the hardware to a camera.

The manufacturer offers shutter release cables for the popular brands like Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad even PhaseOne but not Sony.

I'm needing to shoot tethered with CaptureOne and also be able to sync using the 6.3mm port on the hardware.

Would anybody have a creative way that this can be accomplished? It seems to me that most camera sync ports are 3.5mm ? Or, would the Nikon specific cable the manufacturer offers work with the A7rII? The tip connecting to the camera resembles the micro-usb that goes into my camera but then I don't know how I could shoot tethered with my computer.

Thank you,

k-hawinkler

IIRC there was recently here a post that showed just that kind of cable you need.
It was made in the UK and fairly inexpensive. Maybe someone else can point directly to that post. Good luck.

MedShooter

IIRC there was recently here a post that showed just that kind of cable you need.
It was made in the UK and fairly inexpensive. Maybe someone else can point directly to that post. Good luck.
That would be awesome... I did a full forum search and couldn't come up with anything.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, and a little surgery, you can get one of these cords and splice it onto one of the standard cords. (or make an in-between adapter with 2.5 and 6.3mm jacks).

You'll have to figure out which pins of the standard cable correspond to the three pins of the Sony cable (which are a common, focus and trigger, iirc.)

I did this to use my Sony on a Gigapan rig.