The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony announces A6500

V

Vivek

It does come with some substantial improvements: 5 axis IBIS, better shutter, touchscreen focus, better processor, etc. hope the output is improved.

There is no mention of lossless raw.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This one maybe key

Focal plane phase-detection AF for A-mount lenses

The α6500 offers focal plane phase-detection AF even when an A-mount lens is mounted using a mount adaptor (LA-EA3) from Sony. So you can take advantage of the autofocus system’s uniquely wide coverage provided by 425 focal plane phase-detection AF points, as well as fast, fluid tracking performance when shooting with other lenses as well as E-mount lenses. (1) A-mount lenses

dmward

Worth a look.
I like the A mount lens capabilities.
Also the ability to add custom character in place of the DSC in the file name.

I hope that makes it to the A7RII via firmware update.

pegelli

There is no mention of lossless raw.
This is on the specsheet:
RAW Output
14bit RAW
Uncompressed RAW
-

I guess that means there is no uncompressed raw option (like the newer FF cameras now have)

No problem for me and my shooting style, but it could be a problem for other users.

V

Vivek

This is on the specsheet:
RAW Output
14bit RAW
Uncompressed RAW
-

I guess that means there is no uncompressed raw option (like the newer FF cameras now have)

No problem for me and my shooting style, but it could be a problem for other users.
Makes no sense.

davidstock

I've been waiting for something like this. I kept my NEX-7 body and lenses, waiting for a worthy upgrade.

Did you notice that you can slide the focus point around on the touch screen with your thumb while the viewfinder is at your eye? Focus should be very fast. And it looks like there is an uncompressed RAW setting, which is good for me. IBIS. (I'm looking forward to using my razor-sharp Sigma E 60mm with stabilization.) Even the menu system is supposed to be improved.

Compared to my A7RII, the effective "increased DOF" of APSC (shorter lenses, used at the same distance for an equivalent field of view) often lets me use a wider aperture in the same situation--f8 instead of f11, for instance. Also, I can hand-hold a 60mm lens at a slower shutter speed than a 90mm lens. All of which means I can stay closer to base ISO. Which in turn means that IQ with good lenses in decent light edges that much closer to a 24 MP A7II.

The ability to interchange E, FE and A-mount lenses is extremely useful. This camera looks to be a great option as part of a system, when I want to go light and small.

iiiNelson

Absolutely looks like a great backup for the A7RII. It would be nice if they released a vertical battery grip for it as well.

Same feature as the a6300 Guy

This one maybe key

Focal plane phase-detection AF for A-mount lenses

The α6500 offers focal plane phase-detection AF even when an A-mount lens is mounted using a mount adaptor (LA-EA3) from Sony. So you can take advantage of the autofocus system’s uniquely wide coverage provided by 425 focal plane phase-detection AF points, as well as fast, fluid tracking performance when shooting with other lenses as well as E-mount lenses. (1) A-mount lenses
- - - Updated - - -

Tre, this is my personal crusade

Absolutely looks like a great backup for the A7RII. It would be nice if they released a vertical battery grip for it as well.

pegelli

That it would only output RAW as uncompressed. I think the description is incomplete.
OK, I understand what you mean.
However the way I interpret the spec sheet is that the dash below Uncompressed RAW means that it does not provide an uncompressed raw option.
I could be wrong, so I guess we'll have to wait until the camera is available to see how large the files are vs. A6000/A6300 files.

V

Vivek

I am hoping that there is a mistake in the numbers here as well:

Anyone wants to take up this as a crusade?

Bugleone

This does, finally, look like the 'fully sorted out NEX' ...but, that's massively too expensive! One may as well buy the A7 since that's nearly the same price....

pegelli

This does, finally, look like the 'fully sorted out NEX' ...but, that's massively too expensive! One may as well buy the A7 since that's nearly the same price....
Yes it's expensive, but if like me you already have many good APS-C lenses it's still a lot cheaper then buying the A7ii with the equivalent FF lenses.
Given I'm usually not an early adopter I have hopes that in time the price will drop, but with Sony's recent actions I am afraid it's idle hope :confused:

Bugleone

.....You could use lenses from your a850..(?)

The prices quoted equate to at least £1500 here in the uk. Just to put that in perspective:...last weekend I was looking at both the NEX 6 and the a6300 still available as new stock....the 6 can be bought for about £500.

............If you can do without v/f and real flash synch then the a5000 models are about half that again!

pegelli

.....You could use lenses from your a850..(?)
Yes, but it's a bit clunky, the LA-EA4 works fine but not optimal, it feels pretty bulky and uncomfortable in my hands. And having some good E-mount APS-C lenses (eg the 10-18/4, 50/1.8 and several others) I'm seeing that moving to an A7ii is more expensive (because of the lenses) then just getting only a new A6500 body.

If you start new it's probably a different story, but FF lenses are both expensive and bigger, so getting an A6500 can still have advantages over an A7ii (even at the same price). Also the A7ii doesn't have eye-AF and several other of the newer features that the A99ii and A6500 have.

But bottom line, 1700 € is probably still too much for me, so I'll take my chances and wait a bit to see the actual reviews and hope the price will drop to a more reasonable level.

Tim

wait a bit to see the actual reviews and hope the price will drop to a more reasonable level.
The reviews will be an interesting read. Reports from the A6300 said there were sensor overheating issues with video. I am curious as to if this is fixed. While I prefer my art in stills form, I occasionally have to make a video so the X-T2 is looking a better option right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I am hoping that there is a mistake in the numbers here as well:

Anyone wants to take up this as a crusade?
only with my wallet.