The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony announces A6500

V

Vivek

I like the CDN $ price. Wonder if the asian prices will be lower.

dmward

Sigma has two interesting APS-C lenses; F1.8 50 - 100 and F1.8 18 - 35 that can be fitted to an E mount via the MC-11 adapter.

I have no APS-C lenses and am wondering how these would work on the A6500.

iiiNelson

Sigma has two interesting APS-C lenses; F1.8 50 - 100 and F1.8 18 - 35 that can be fitted to an E mount via the MC-11 adapter.

I have no APS-C lenses and am wondering how these would work on the A6500.
Both are on the large size but both receive great reviews in general. I've thought about buying them for video as there was a sale on them a few months back where you could get both for ~$1800 I believe.

dmward

Both are on the large size but both receive great reviews in general. I've thought about buying them for video as there was a sale on them a few months back where you could get both for ~$1800 I believe.
I noticed the size. The longer lens is about 3.5lbs. The max aperture is compelling for events and the APS-C 24Meg frame is reasonable for that kind of work.

Bugleone

........"a larger body with bigger buttons"

Er, no, I don't think so!.......The whole point of NEX was a tiny camera with a better sensor that can take any lens...

The price has already gone up to that of A7 and the body is not much smaller.....

...........Am i going mad here or what!

pegelli

A review with a long list of suggestions to improve (A6700?) from a sony tester:

http://pmrphoto.blogspot.nl/2016/10/first-review-of-new-sony-a6500-a6300-on.html
Interesting read, thanks for the link :thumbup:

Also the overall verdict looks positive:
Patrick Murphy-Racey said:
The verdict? The A6500 is a miniature BEAST of a camera, extremely responsive, fast in every way, and perfect for shooting sports. To use an old car term, it's "a wolf in sheep's clothing." It is by far the best sports action E-Mount camera Sony has made to date.
At first, you might think it's just a rebadged A6300. Same chip, same megapixels, same fps, same old story as Canikon, as they so often a couple small improvements to the same old cameras and call them new. Not so with the A6500.
And 2 of his 10 suggested improvements won't need an A6700, since the first is asking for similar capabilities in an A7 body and further down he is suggesting a list of new lenses in E-mount.

V

Vivek

I wish Samsung stuck around. I think there ought to be another competitor (other than Fuji) for Sony.

I would like a BSI sensor with a true 14bit lossless RAW output in a capable camera.

ggibson

Anyone picking up the A6500? I see they're shipping now.

Camera Labs came out with a review:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_A6500/

I go back and forth about trading down to APS-C for a more compact/light suite of lenses, and this camera checks off all of my needs and wants (even if the touchscreen seems to be implemented as an afterthought).

davidstock

I got one a few days ago. It replaces the NEX-7 as a backup to the A7RII and as a go-light carry option. I personally prefer the viewfinder on the corner to an SLR style body. IBIS is a very big plus with some of my lenses. My favorite is the Sigma 6Omm Art. Also, I've been using the 35mm f2.8 Zony as a "normal" lens, and it makes the a6500 a pretty powerful low-profile machine. Very small and easy to carry everywhere. I haven't yet attached a longer lens. But my little Contax Zeiss 85mm f2.8 awaits, as well as my autofocus telephotos.

I've just started using the a6500, and Adobe hasn't enabled RAW processing for it yet. But looking at the files in C1, I'd say that its IQ closely matches the A7II (that I used to own) at low and medium ISOs.

The touch screen isn't amazing or advanced, but it is useful. For instance, it can be used to shift a focus point while shooting in manual focus without a bunch of button presses. When using the LCD, you can just tap to establish a focus point. Dragging the focus point is a bit laggy. But as I get the hang of it, it's faster than using the four-way controller. I haven't figured out yet if the LCD needs a protector, or what kinds will be available. In the meantime, I put a Hoodman skin on it, and touch commands still work.

There's some other new stuff with this camera, like a highlight priority metering mode, which I haven't tested yet. (ETTR possibilities?) Auto ISO with upper limits can be used in manual metering mode, which I like.

The biggest plus for me so far, apart from IBIS, is the camera's speed of operation. The finder refreshes fast enough to see what you're doing even in burst mode. Playback is instant; magnification is virtually instant. I trained myself to wait a beat before trying to review or magnify files with the A7RII. But that's not necessary with the a6500. I haven't gotten a single "unable to perform" message yet. Subjectively, there seems to be less shutter lag. Focus is very fast, except in very dim light.

It's a pricey APSC camera. But if 24MP is enough, especially if you already have E or FE lenses, it's pretty compelling. It's no competition for an A7RII, which I will always prefer whenever it's practical. Love those big uncompressed files, and the option of fast lenses. But I can already tell that the a6500 is going to go with me in many situations where the A7RII would stay home.