The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Peculiar vignetting problem with SONY A7RII and native Zeiss Lenses

CSP

All lens or any other corrections are turned OFF. I have done more tests again. The issue gets better with the latest firmware update on the SONY and with lens corrections turned OFF, but it doesn't go away completely. Some color cast remains, particularly blueish color cast on the sides, where it's more pronounced in the corners. This affects both Batis and Loxia lenses.

I've shot dozens of time-lapses and now I have to do very extensive retouching in order to no have luminance jumps in my frames. Very frustrating and time-consuming affair.

if you own c1 use LLC corrections will save you a lot of time

Carosu

Hey guys, I have a real problem with the time lapses I've shot. It seems that Sony + Zess Loxia or Batis (basically native SONY lenses) in combination with Sony A7 apply some kind of vignetting, that really messes up the photos shot in sequence. Which spells real trouble for time-lapse people and this combo.

Here are two identical shots, the first one is 1 second exposure, the second one is 1.3 seconds. All other settings are the same. It's especially evident when playing back a time-lapse or just toggling between the two images. I'm sure some kind of software raw "correction" is being applied here by SONY. None of this happens with my Leica R lens on the sony body.

The question is what to do about this? I'm thinking about maybe shooting a white wall (like a big piece of evenly lit white paper) and then applying some kind of subtraction in Photoshop. Even if I manage to make it work, its still yet another extra step in the workflow, which slows the whole workflow down. Does this happen with other cameras / lenses, is this only a SONY thing?

First post! :)

Have you found any solution to this yet? I am having the same problem as you using sony 55 1.8 and batis 18 lenses. It seems to always happen when transitioning from 1s to 1,3s, first picture looks normal and second vignetting problems and all frames after that the same. It makes it really hard to fi in post. :(

nowherean

First post! :)

Have you found any solution to this yet? I am having the same problem as you using sony 55 1.8 and batis 18 lenses. It seems to always happen when transitioning from 1s to 1,3s, first picture looks normal and second vignetting problems and all frames after that the same. It makes it really hard to fi in post. :(

Don’t use SONY lenses, or don’t use SONY for time lapse work. Not to mention the star eating issue with SONY cameras. Nice tech, sensor, etc, but really crappy for real-world usage. That’s pretty much where I’m at with this at this point, after retouching **** load of frames. This should not be happening.

Carosu

Don’t use SONY lenses, or don’t use SONY for time lapse work. Not to mention the star eating issue with SONY cameras. Nice tech, sensor, etc, but really crappy for real-world usage. That’s pretty much where I’m at with this at this point, after retouching **** load of frames. This should not be happening.
To much money invested cant change now :)

I mostly do fixed settings in manual mode but trying ramp/holy grail with it you never know how the end result will be :(

But did you just have this problem with Sony Zeiss lenses or all lenses?

nowherean

The issue is with all native lenses. I had no problem with my Leica R lenses with a dumb adapter. Its basically SONY cooking the file. Just tested with firmware 4 and the issue is less pronounced but still there and will require post to make it really work well.