The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"3D pop"

V

Vivek

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

All from the Hague, RX1R II

With a huge DR and super fast AF- all in a tiny package. Reasons why I persevere with the RX1R II.

The 3rd new camera is still a tiny bit less responsive than my previous one (killed by Techrepair in the Netherlands) but will do for now.

It still is the best, AFAIK. :)

The Ute

All from the Hague, RX1R II

With a huge DR and super fast AF- all in a tiny package. Reasons why I persevere with the RX1R II.

The 3rd new camera is still a tiny bit less responsive than my previous one (killed by Techrepair in the Netherlands) but will do for now.

It still is the best, AFAIK. :)
Depends a little bit on the subject matter.
It is a better street camera than a landscape one.
To get really high quality landscape shots (at least the type I like) requires a tripod which sort of defeats the purpose a little.
The A7RII is more forgiving because of it's IBIS.
I kinda wish the RX1R II did also and that they "updated' the lens to handle the extra resolution a little better for landscape work.
I may actually part with mine and move to the a 6500.
Glad you finally found one that works after all your struggles.

V

Vivek

I appreciate Sony replacing the ruined camera, this is one reason. The main reason is that this is the best out there for street photography. I have considered all the compact cameras out there from every brand. I do not think I would be happy with any. I also do not know of any 35mm f2 lens that is as good as this one.

IBIS or no IBIS no APS-C camera would come close to the RX1R II.

Audii-Dudii

...The main reason is that this is the best out there for street photography. I have considered all the compact cameras out there from every brand. I do not think I would be happy with any. I also do not know of any 35mm f2 lens that is as good as this one.

IBIS or no IBIS no APS-C camera would come close to the RX1R II.
I'm curious as to how you focus with the RX1RII. Specifically, have you tried focusing it manually using the macro ring instead of the focus ring?

I do this with my "broken" RX1 (after it rolled off my bed onto a carpeted floor, the autofocus motor now works only intermittently) and can see no degradation of its IQ as a result, but wonder if the same is true with a higher-res sensor behind the lens.

I ask because I'm considering buying an RX1RII to replace one of my RX1s and by focusing this way, it's possible to effectively fix the point of focus at any given distance even when turning the camera off-and-on. For the type of street photography I do with my RX1, I prefer this method of focusing to any other, so am hopeful that it works as well with the RX1RII as it does with my humble RX1.

Thanks!

V

Vivek

Hi, Apologies, I forgot your name. :eek:

The camera is in AF-C, wide field and I use AF 99.9% of the time. The AF is blazingly fast (it was a wee bit faster in my camera #2) and spot on! Even my manual focusing can not compete with it.

Audii-Dudii

Hi, Apologies, I forgot your name. :eek:

The camera is in AF-C, wide field and I use AF 99.9% of the time. The AF is blazingly fast (it was a wee bit faster in my camera #2) and spot on! Even my manual focusing can not compete with it.
Thanks for the response!

It sounds as if I should probably rent or borrow one before I buy one, although I'm definitely optimistic about the results. :)

JG (It's Jeff, btw.)