The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart AF Leica M to Sony E adapter question:

V

Vivek

I did better, Amigo! i actually typed in a couple of complements!

The pets and their owners alike seem transfixed on the beauty of the Leica glass. :clap:

EDIT: BTW, there are good chances that some of the Leica glass may cover the Fuji MF sensor. Techart may come up with an adapter that will allow M glass to AF on the Fuji X. The possibilities excluding Leica cameras are endless!

Last edited:

fotografz

Well, sarcasm aside, your comments are those of a hobbyist.

Like most folks here who make photos for pay, including Guy, ... I NEVER test new gear on a corporate or event client's dime.

So, I try it out at similar venues and lighting ... be it a good cause like the Pet Rescue event, or some car show, or some street shots.

If it passes muster, then it gets pressed into service on the real thing.

Much as I'd like to, I can't afford the gear and collection of lenses you've touted in past just to shoot as a hobby.

k-hawinkler

:ROTFL:

OkayDokey ... I'll brave it.

The day after the adapter was delivered I went to a big dog show supporting a local rescue organization. It was very crowded, and most of the subjects were at ground level:banghead:

Perfect "event" test of the AF abilities in conjunction with the A7R-II's tilting LCD (my old knees can't hack it anymore). I took my trusty M-35/1.4 ASPH (non-FLE), and M-75/2AA.

Because it was so crowded with humans most shots were with the 35mm, but I also shot a few with the 75mm to pick out subjects I couldn't get close to ... or in the case of the pet skunk image, didn't want to get close to:ROTFL:

Many of the shots would have been more difficult to pull off with my M rangefinder. The combination of the M lenses with micro-contrast and this sensor is pretty impressive. Now that I can focus faster and more accurately under duress, makes it a dream team ... at least so far.

- Marc

Here are a few from that first dayView attachment 122926View attachment 122927View attachment 122928View attachment 122929View attachment 122930
Many thanks Marc. Stunning shots. I have both of those lenses as well.

The M-75/2 AA performs exceedingly well on the A7r.2. On some images that lens results in a 3-D appearance/pop, at least to my eyes.

The M-35/1.4 ASPH (non-FLE) also can deliver great images, except for the extreme corners, but stopping down helps a lot.

My 2 cents. Thanks again.

V

Vivek

Well, sarcasm aside, your comments are those of a hobbyist.

Like most folks here who make photos for pay, including Guy, ... I NEVER test new gear on a corporate or event client's dime.

So, I try it out at similar venues and lighting ... be it a good cause like the Pet Rescue event, or some car show, or some street shots.

If it passes muster, then it gets pressed into service on the real thing.

Much as I'd like to, I can't afford the gear and collection of lenses you've touted in past just to shoot as a hobby.
This is even better than the pet snaps! Bravo! :clap:

No one has commented on the colors! They pop! :)

scho

Has TechArt released an iOS app yet for making edits to the canned configuration? I used an android app earlier with a borrowed phone to make some changes, but now I want to add a setting for 75mm (my Voigtlander 75 SL), but no longer have access to the android phone.

About setting TA manually for the lens that's installed: Do you have to repeat this when camera is turned off/on, or when lens has been removed/re-installed? Or is the setting sticky until you reset it again?

Also, an odd observation: Has anyone else tested focus with both TA and manual adapters? I tried this and found no difference in focus, but a difference in chromatic aberration between adapters!

Using Noctilux and A7rII (with Kolari mod), I consistently get more green fringing with TA adapter, and more purple fringing with CV manual adapter. I don't see how this might happen, but it occurs consistently in repeated tests. Can it be a result of setting TA for particular focal length?

Kirk

PS, my aperture settings don't include f25 for 50mm – I have to choose between f22 and f27. It works OK at f27.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
With a Novoflex adapter I have found that fringing at 10x mag goes green to none to purple as I move the focus. It is in best focus when the fringing is minimized ... and the difference is minuscule.

It may be the your two adapters err from each other by a small amount ... is it possible to play with focus calibration and the TA in the camera's settings?

With an APO refractor telescope I found the green to purple when OOF and used it to nail critical focus.

Just a thought ...

Bob

Thank you, Bob!

And I still wonder about the 'stickiness' part of my question:

About setting TA manually for the lens that's installed: Do you have to repeat this when camera is turned off/on, or when lens has been removed/re-installed? Or is the setting sticky until you reset it for another lens?
I wondered about this because I change fairly often between two lenses of the same focal length (50mm Noctilux and Mitakon).

Kirk