The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Does an A7rII Micro USB Splitter exist ?

MedShooter

Here's the situation;
I need to shoot tethered with my A7rII but at the same time have a different piece of hardware do remote shutter release. Sony uses the same micro-usb port for tethering and remote shutter release. Is there a cable or splitter that would allow me to split the micro-usb input in the camera into two separate cables ?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

frozenbb

Here's the situation;
I need to shoot tethered with my A7rII but at the same time have a different piece of hardware do remote shutter release. Sony uses the same micro-usb port for tethering and remote shutter release. Is there a cable or splitter that would allow me to split the micro-usb input in the camera into two separate cables ?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.
http://mobilexcopter.com/mobile/sho...igger-cable-black/p/58445676/category=3342130

Is something like that what you're looking for?

Cheers.

dmward

Are you sure the two functions are not mutually exclusive via the micro USB connection?
One is an input function and one is an output function. Supposedly they could each use different pins in the micro connector, but I'll let you do the electrical test. If your camera survives and it works, let me know. I'd like to do something similar.

frozenbb

Are you sure the two functions are not mutually exclusive via the micro USB connection?
One is an input function and one is an output function. Supposedly they could each use different pins in the micro connector, but I'll let you do the electrical test. If your camera survives and it works, let me know. I'd like to do something similar.
They're not mutually exclusive functions, and I can assure you that this won't fry your a7-series cam. Sony, thankfully, didn't eliminate the ability to send a dumb shutter release command through the multi port on its latest cameras - even while that multi port is being used for tethering purposes.

Not sure about US vendors, but if you can find a wiring diagram making your own shouldn't be difficult.

dmward

They're not mutually exclusive functions, and I can assure you that this won't fry your a7-series cam. Sony, thankfully, didn't eliminate the ability to send a dumb shutter release command through the multi port on its latest cameras - even while that multi port is being used for tethering purposes.

Not sure about US vendors, but if you can find a wiring diagram making your own shouldn't be difficult.
That's good to know.

I'll bet the linked picture is a cable sold by that vendor but built by a contract manufacturer, probably in China. Can't imagine why someone in US isn't selling it as well.

MedShooter

I just received this cable. It took about a month...

So, basically it doesn't work the way I need it to. It will not do a shutter release when the camera is set to single shot mode.

When it's set to Self Timer, it does release the shutter though which is weird. I absolutely have to get this to work in single shot mode but it just will not work. Would anybody know why?

When not shooting tethered, using the Sony Moments app, the cable does release the shutter as well. But, I really need to shoot tethered in single shoot mode. This is the same behavior with a single shutter release cable as opposed to using the splitter.

Owen

I use the exact same cable with radio triggers without any issues whilst tethered to C1. Could it be the Sony app taking control over the camera?

MedShooter

Owen,
Would you describe what hardware you're using?
I don't have the Sony Moments app running when I'm trying to shoot tethered with this cable. The cable ONLY works when tethered if the camera is set to Self Timer of 2 seconds or so.

MedShooter

I use the exact same cable with radio triggers without any issues whilst tethered to C1. Could it be the Sony app taking control over the camera?
Owen, would you please please share your camera settings that got this to work? I've tried everything and it just will not work.
The trigger is being sent out by an RCA jack to the camera.

MedShooter

I've been playing with every setting and button to try to get this to work.

I've realized one thing, IF I hold down the AEL button, the shutter is triggered perfectly in Single Shot Mode.

Does anybody know what the AEL button does on the A7RII ??? I've read the manual and I still don't understand its use. It seems to do some kind of DOF focus on my camera when I hold it down on MF.

If I can have that AEL button's function permanently set, I think it'll work.

Owen

Owen, would you please please share your camera settings that got this to work? I've tried everything and it just will not work.
The trigger is being sent out by an RCA jack to the camera.
Camera in manual mode, attached to HCAM TS. Splitter goes to a radio controller and Capture One.