The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shutter delay when using strobes

dseelig

Hi I am getting a significant shutter delay when using strobes both studio elinchrom and Godox is there some sitting I am not doing? thanks David

dmward

The only time I've noticed a shutter delay when using strobes when there is trouble with the camera getting focus because of dim light.

There is also, sometimes a longer than "normal" blackout because of TTL metering.

It may also be because you have the camera set to wireless for flash. I've found that only is useful when using my Nisson Air speedlites. They emulate the Sony optical wireless system.

With Godox X system it has to be set to fill flash, slow, or second curtain. If set to the last two shutter speeds are much slower. Fill flash is the default.

Having used the Godox X system now for literally thousands of TTL and manual exposures I can't think of more than 4 or 5 times where the shutter was appreciably slower. As mentioned in each case there was some external cause.

iiiNelson

The only time I've seen a delay is with EFCS on and shutter speeds greater than 1/1000 of a sec. Even then it's not 100% consistent that an issue will exist.

dmward

Don't remember why but I turned EFCS off a long time ago and haven't even thought about turning it back on.
Maybe that's why I haven't noticed any delay except for a couple of unusual circumstances.

iiiNelson

Don't remember why but I turned EFCS off a long time ago and haven't even thought about turning it back on.
Maybe that's why I haven't noticed any delay except for a couple of unusual circumstances.
EFCS is fine most of the time but in some cases it can produce inconsistent exposures. Usually one only sees this once you break the 1/1000 sec barrier but I've shot images at 1/8000 sec without issues with EFCS on/off as well. Seems to be a common "problem" though with many people at times.

In the A7RII the shutter is dampened quite a bit beyond the A7R (not that I experienced issues with my style of shooting with that camera either) so "shutter shock" shouldn't be a huge deal when EFCS is turned off.