The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Delima related to camera selection...

dmward

... please give me your suggestions.

As a young photographer I had a Leica M4 with 28, 35, and 90mm wide aperture lenses.
I loved having it for personal photography.
We had Nikon with a wide selection of lenses, Hasselblad with wide to medium tele options along with view cameras ranging from 4x5 to 8x10. So camera options was not a problem.

Now, after years shooting Canon, then a brief romance with Fuji system including X-Pro1 and TX-1, I now have Sony A7RII cameras and a variety of lenses ranging from 16-35 to 120-300 Sigma with MC-11 adapter. All my lenses are zooms. I had some primes but sold them because they didn't get used much.

I wonder about the A6500 with some primes that are equivalent with my Leica trio. Or, a similar trio of primes that fit the A7RII.

I have to admit, when thinking about going with something that is APS-C, the larger format and pixel count is compelling.

Thoughts? Please?

V

Vivek

Stick to the larger format. You gain absolutely nothing by going to the aps-c with your current lenses.

If you buy a tecpro adapter and use small leica mount lenses, strictly for nostalgic reasons, then the 6500 is worth looking in to.

There should be absolutely no dilemma related to this at all.:)

pegelli

Very difficult question to answer based on the information you're giving.

What are you actually looking for, size/portability or something else? Any other criteria?

Also, you had an X-Pro1 but you sold it, why would you think the A6500 would suit your needs better?

What's the main purpose of large aperture lenses for you, shooting low light or shallow dof (or both)?
What "large" apertures are you actually looking for on your primes (for the three primes you mention)?

ggibson

One way to consider the A7rII is an APS-C camera that is 18MP. It's not that far off a 24MP A6500, really. I am pretty happy to mostly shoot my 28/2 and 55/1.8 primes on my A7rII and just crop for more reach. Really small and travel friendly kit. I even have a 16-35/4 that I've been contemplating trading in for a Voigtlander 15/4.5 III.

fotografz

... please give me your suggestions.

As a young photographer I had a Leica M4 with 28, 35, and 90mm wide aperture lenses.
I loved having it for personal photography.
We had Nikon with a wide selection of lenses, Hasselblad with wide to medium tele options along with view cameras ranging from 4x5 to 8x10. So camera options was not a problem.

Now, after years shooting Canon, then a brief romance with Fuji system including X-Pro1 and TX-1, I now have Sony A7RII cameras and a variety of lenses ranging from 16-35 to 120-300 Sigma with MC-11 adapter. All my lenses are zooms. I had some primes but sold them because they didn't get used much.

I wonder about the A6500 with some primes that are equivalent with my Leica trio. Or, a similar trio of primes that fit the A7RII.

I have to admit, when thinking about going with something that is APS-C, the larger format and pixel count is compelling.

Thoughts? Please?
This seems a bit contradictory. "I had some primes (for the A7R-II), but sold them because they didn't get much use" ... Then you are looking to get a trio of primes to fit the A7R-II.

Why would it be different now? What has changed that would prompt you to seek the same set-up you already rejected?

One thing that occurred to me is that if you seek to recapture what you loved about the M and three lenses of your youth, a camera like the A7R-II may not ever be the same experience as shooting with a rangefinder.

I have the A7R-II and a Leica MM rangefinder, and the two are very different shooting experiences IMHO.

- Marc

Slingers

You could get the Sigma primes to match the A6500 in similar focal lengths. The 19/2.8, 30/1.4, and the 60/2.8, with the latter 2 better lenses than the 19mm. Not sure if they are fast enough. An alternative would be the Sony apsc 1.8 primes at 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm or a mixture of both Sony and Sigma to get what you are after.