The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 70-300mm G lens

Eoin

Edward, how could you possibly consider leaving the 135 behind you, heresy of the highest order IMO :lecture:. You'll need a good prime and either it or the 85 should be in every bag. I always find I tote a long zoom on my travels and use it less than 5% of the time.

Sorry to hear the reds have taken to the streets, the yellows were active last time I came through Bangkok on my way to Korat. Civil disorder will only result in the Army taking control again.

edwardkaraa

David and Eoin,

The situation got much better thanks to a wise containment policy by the government and the army, so the trip is still on schedule :) Luckily all incidents were at specific strategic places for the opposition and they're quite far from where I live. Actually I have only seen the events on TV, like every one else.

Thanks to pressure from Jorgen and Eoin I decided finally to leave the 70-300 at home in favour of the 135 :D You will see the results in a few days.

Btw, Eoin, do you go to Korat often? Any girlfriend there? ;) You should absolutely stop for a beer next time you're in this part of the world.

Eoin

Btw, Eoin, do you go to Korat often? Any girlfriend there? ;) You should absolutely stop for a beer next time you're in this part of the world.
Edward, my other half is Thai , we used to go back quite a bit, always to Dankhunthot to visit the 'outlaws', but the young kids (x2) tend to make long haul travel very difficult and expensive now. But we try to get over at least once a year.

I'd love to meet up next time I'm over

edwardkaraa

Edward, my other half is Thai , we used to go back quite a bit, always to Dankhunthot to visit the 'outlaws', but the young kids (x2) tend to make long haul travel very difficult and expensive now. But we try to get over at least once a year.

I'd love to meet up next time I'm over
That would be great, Eoin. Looking forward to it. I'll bring my girlfriend along to keep your wife busy while we can discuss the latest Sony equipment or even take actual photos with it :D

douglasf13

Douglas,

Even though I believe the 70-300 is not a bad lens, you have to consider 2 things before you buy it:

1. It is not a Zeiss. I mean if you're used to a certain look from Zeiss lenses, this lens will not deliver, specifically, micro-contrast, 3D and the saturated Zeiss color balance which can produce warm tones and cold blues. This lens color balance reminds me of my Canon lens days with predominant warm tones overall as well as low contrast.

2. The minimum aperture of f/5.6 (and the relatively higher shutter speed needed to handhold long lenses) is very limiting as I found out recently, especially with a camera like the A900 that doesn't perform so well at high iso.

Also having used the Contax 300mm f/4 on a 1Ds2, I can say that by comparison the Sony zoom is not sharp. The results are consistant with what I've seen from the guys over here and several reviews on the net, but I wouldn't call it a sharp lens.

For me it is an expensive temporary solution until Sony releases a Zeiss prime around 200mm, which may or may not happen.

Thanks for the heads up, Edward. I've given it some more thought, and I think I'm gonna just stick to what I already have. I've been meaning to give my little Zeiss Jena 135mm 3.5 a workout, and I think my upcoming trip will be good for that. That amazing little lens has pretty consistent sharpness across the frame from f3.5-f8, and it has the nice Zeiss contrast...although the colors are much warmer than other Zeiss' I've used. Plus, I'll end up with a pretty light kit, which is why I'm not gonna bring my big ol' Hassie Zeiss 150 CF. I think I'm gonna bring: Min 20 2.8 RS, CZ 24-70, CZ 85, ZJ 135 3.5, and I should be able to cram all of that into my Flipside 200.

Braeside

Still believe that the 70-300G is a great zoom lens, though not as great as a prime, but more versatile for many situations. However that kit you are taking sounds really nice :thumbup:

One from the zoo.

douglasf13

Oh, David, I think that 70300G looks really nice, and if I decide that I need something longer than 150-200mm, I'll go with it for sure.

Braeside

The only other zoom I would consider would be the larger 70-400, I have not tried one, but by all reports it is really excellent, but I am not sure about the silver colour at all, might need a lenscoat.

douglasf13

I'm actually starting to warm to the idea of silver, believe it or not. That being said, I shoot at the extreme long-end so infrequently that I couldn't justify the 70400G over some other more needed purchases (can you say 135ZA! lol.) Plus, the relatively compact size of the 70300G is nice. I MAY consider renting one of these two G zooms from alpha lens rental, but I think my mind is made up. :)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have the 70-300 and just (today) got the 70-400.

All I can say is "WOW" - this just might be the sharpest tele zoom I've used. I'll post some serious pix later - this one was my first, hand held! 135 mm focal length, wide open. Processed in C1 at defaults except for a 10 point contrast boost.

Bill

Last edited:

Braeside

Bill, certainly looks very sharp - when you get time it would be nice to see comparisons between the 70-300 and 70-400.

jonoslack

Yes, David - tomorrow I'm going to line up the 300 2.8, the 70-300 and the 70-400. May the best "G" win!
Bill
I'll be interested too.
Personally I'm fond of the 70-300, I don't use telephoto a huge amount, and carrying around the 70-400 is right off my agenda, but I still think that the smaller lens is the best of it's type I've tried.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well guys, I forgot I have an income tax deadline looming so I didn't get to shoot today...but this weekend looks clear!

Meantime a snap, 100% crop of the centre at 400 mms at F8. No processing, just C1 defaults. Taken through my living room (dirty) window.

Bill

Last edited: