The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900/Zeiss Acid Test

fotografz

Great insights, Marc. There is starting to be more and more mention about the A900's color, which is important for the system. Sony is using color filters with near-MFDB density, and, while we pay for that a bit in high ISO noise, it really shines through. It's these subtleties that don't win magazine review awards, but are brought to light by capable photographers like yourself. Nice work.

p.s. You may want to try using the C button for flash comp.
How's the "C" button work for flash comp?

That brings up "Creative Style" on the LCD. The Fn button brings up the Camera controls including Ambient and Flash compensation. I leave the screen set to highlight Flash Comp for speed of operation.

Or you can set the flash comp on the LCD menu and select "last screen" ... but you still have to hit 2 buttons to get to it ... the menu button and then the center of the command wheel to bring it up.

Lots to learn about this camera yet. Like I need to decide what I want for the 3 different settings using the annalog dial on top.

Braeside

You can change what the C button does - The shooting menu - Custom Button and choose what you want. The default is Creative Style, but I suggest you might want Flash Comp.

Braeside

Yep, I always have it set on AF point selection.
It is quite useful also to use the 3 memories on the A900 as you can store different Custom button settings in each memory. So if you are going to be using flash then you could have a memory for flash with C button set for flash comp for example.

jonoslack

Hi Marc
If you haven't tried the three custom settings yet . . . they're a bit of an eye-opener, as they override everything, including the switches on the camera.

That means that if you have setting 2 set to C/AF, then when you go there you'll have C/AF, whatever the camera AF switch on the front may be set to. This is a bit disconcerting at first, but it's actually fantastic as there are no 'quibbles' about what works and what doesn't, and it makes it really easy to understand (I got hopelessly confused with the custom memory banks with the Nikon . . . I'd work them out carefully, then, a week later it was confusion again).

Forgive me if you're my grandmother and I'm teaching you to suck eggs:ROTFL:

Ben Rubinstein

Thanks Marc, just started seriously using off camera ETTL with my Canon system (waiting for radiopopper or PW to hit the UK still!) for my wedding work, getting some decent 3D modelling on the faces in the homes and outdoor portraiture rather than on camera fill. That and with my other camera shooting with no flash and wide open is giving me results a notch above all my competitors. Also using less and less zooms, once the prime bug bites, etc. I had till now just used them on the 2nd camera. I've also relegated the LS to the off camera, it's such a relief to have it off the on camera flash, it was screwing up the wireless ETTL signals as it was, using a bounce card and although the light isn't as good (harsher), I'm a happier man without that weight hanging off the end of the flash.

I'm just sticking with my 5D's for the moment, they do the job, they give me the results I know and like and anyway I'm having a pretty bad year wedding wise though the summer has started to pick up thankfully. There are a few things about canon that keep me with it for all that I hate so much, the RGB Histo and blinkies at the same time on the review screen, the ability to change the FEC with the wheel alone on the 580/II, the 17-40 and 24-105 IS lenses (I think I have the sharpest 24-105 on the planet, trashes all 3 24-70's I had for sharpness for all it's optical faults). I also love my 50/85/100mm USM lenses, cheap and very good, solid work tools. I'm happy to be stuck in a rut equipment wise if it doesn't hold me back photographically. Using equipment that just works, from the light stands to the strobes to the cameras to the lenses and flash units, it's a blessing and I'm not particularly interested to move on...

fotografz

Hi Marc
If you haven't tried the three custom settings yet . . . they're a bit of an eye-opener, as they override everything, including the switches on the camera.

That means that if you have setting 2 set to C/AF, then when you go there you'll have C/AF, whatever the camera AF switch on the front may be set to. This is a bit disconcerting at first, but it's actually fantastic as there are no 'quibbles' about what works and what doesn't, and it makes it really easy to understand (I got hopelessly confused with the custom memory banks with the Nikon . . . I'd work them out carefully, then, a week later it was confusion again).

Forgive me if you're my grandmother and I'm teaching you to suck eggs:ROTFL:
I'm all ears and eyes my friend ... anything that increases the utility of these cameras I'm interested. Like a regular Joe, the last place I go is the manual ... LOL!

But if I can streamline the use then the A900 just gets better and better.

The most important thing for me is to get the ambient/flash comp/balance down pat. I had it aced on the Canons from shooting them for so long, then Nikon which seemed to have an even better flash system ... now the Sony.

Still have a lot to learn ... and I don't want to do it on my clients dime if possible.

S

Shelby Lewis

"The Groom"

Sony A900 @ ISO 800, 1/15th shutter hand-held (no flash), Ziess 24-70/2.8 @ 50/2.8
Wow... really pops, especially at that shutter speed and in that light. Thanks for sharing.

(much appreciated :))

Braeside

I'm all ears and eyes my friend ... anything that increases the utility of these cameras I'm interested. Like a regular Joe, the last place I go is the manual ... LOL!

But if I can streamline the use then the A900 just gets better and better.

The most important thing for me is to get the ambient/flash comp/balance down pat. I had it aced on the Canons from shooting them for so long, then Nikon which seemed to have an even better flash system ... now the Sony.

Still have a lot to learn ... and I don't want to do it on my clients dime if possible.
Can I plug Gary Friedman's A900 book again? :lecture:

It is a suitable alternative to the rather dry and frustrating Sony camera manual. It is available as a PDF download.

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/

It covers the use of the A900 memories and flash is Gary's thing, especially off camera wireless. Gary has been writing these kinds of books for the Minolta system which of course the Sony is based on, so he really knows his stuff.

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/

fotografz

I thought you folks would get a kick out of that :ROTFL:

Everyone in the wedding party AND all parents wore "Chucks".

Here is a quick still life of the Bride's customized "Chucks" along with blood red roses :eek: ... and a Bridesmaid putting on her skull decorated high-tops.

It was a fun group, the wedding was in a Medieval Castle ... but only slightly "Goth" ... not full tilt.

jonoslack

What a wonderful idea!

I have to admit to a small personal foible, I've been wearing them for years, but only leather ones (the canvas ones get smelly too fast). They're hard to find, only made in small quantities and nearly always different.

I have two tone pale brown from Norwich
Black with white soles from the internet
two tone dark brown from Arras
mid brown with copper lace holes from Heraklion
grey-green with white soles from Bourg St Maurice

Terry

Here is a quick still life of the Bride's customized "Chucks" along with blood red roses :eek: ... and a Bridesmaid putting on her skull decorated high-tops.

It was a fun group, the wedding was in a Medieval Castle ... but only slightly "Goth" ... not full tilt.
Yes, I thought something interesting was up with the wall, chair, carpet combo. Glad they had a good time with it. I like the brides pair....at least her feet didn't have to hurt in heels :D

Braeside

I have to admit to a small personal foible, I've been wearing them for years, but only leather ones (the canvas ones get smelly too fast). They're hard to find, only made in small quantities and nearly always different.
It's not so much the shoes as the wedding dresses that we worry about.:eek::ROTFL: