The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900/Zeiss Acid Test

douglasf13

Ha! :ROTFL: I'm starting to come to terms with my vision starting to go south. It's driving me nuts, because I don't want to deal with contacts, but I also don't prefer shooting with glasses on. Soon, the A900 will be seeing better than I do, and you guys will have to tell me which raw converter does a better job :)

Eoin

Tell me about it!, I've got a +3 diopter in the viewfinder and it works quite well. I can still see the whole frame. The quick function menu is pretty cool also, magnifies nicely with a push of the Disp button. Who need glasses now, :ROTFL:

jonoslack

I've got used to the eyes thing now. Mine suddenly went when I was 38, after perfect vision for all those years:eek::mad::bugeyes:

I've used glasses, dioptres in viewfinders etc. etc. Nowadays I wear disposable contacts, 1.75 in my right eye (to look through the viewfinder at the world) and 2.5 in my left (so that I can read the controls). I think it's much better than varifocals, and it really is no effort, I stick 'em in when I wake up, and throw 'em away when I go to bed, in the meantime I can see pretty well.

Only thing it's bad for is driving at night.

If you haven't tried it, it's worth giving it a go.

W

William Curtindale

Hello to everybody, I am an A900 user and new to this forum (my first post on this forum - hope I'm not breaking any rules). A friend pointed me to this thread started by Marc because of the interest in the A900. I appreciate and have enjoyed reading the comments from other users about the A900. Impressions and things learned by others are always helpful to me. I will note when purchasing my A900 I was looking for a high quality camera with good resolution (and A mount). I wanted a basic foundation camera (no pop-up flash, live view or video). I come from many years of using a many Hasselblads and a Wista 4x5 RF (no bells and whistles on those cameras). I usually shoot my A900 in manual mode. I also use a Metz 70-MZ5 and HVL-F58AM as well as my old stand by Metz 60-CT4 flash units with the A900. I am a retired engineer and have been in photography for over forty years. I have done many weddings over the years but prefer to leave that work to the real pros (although I did two weddings last year and have two scheduled this year). I prefer to shoot for my own personal enjoyment (family, friends, scenery, BIF, etc). I have been browsing this site to see what others have to say and what they are doing. I probably have not mastered navigating the site yet but have enjoyed what I have found so far. So if I post anything inappropriately, please be quick and swift to set me straight. I am located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I have a web site at http://wdcgraphic.com and post most of my fun and very casual stuff on Picasa at http://picasaweb.google.com/BillCurtindale

fotografz

Hello to everybody, I am an A900 user and new to this forum (my first post on this forum - hope I'm not breaking any rules). A friend pointed me to this thread started by Marc because of the interest in the A900. I appreciate and have enjoyed reading the comments from other users about the A900. Impressions and things learned by others are always helpful to me. I will note when purchasing my A900 I was looking for a high quality camera with good resolution (and A mount). I wanted a basic foundation camera (no pop-up flash, live view or video). I come from many years of using a many Hasselblads and a Wista 4x5 RF (no bells and whistles on those cameras). I usually shoot my A900 in manual mode. I also use a Metz 70-MZ5 and HVL-F58AM as well as my old stand by Metz 60-CT4 flash units with the A900. I am a retired engineer and have been in photography for over forty years. I have done many weddings over the years but prefer to leave that work to the real pros (although I did two weddings last year and have two scheduled this year). I prefer to shoot for my own personal enjoyment (family, friends, scenery, BIF, etc). I have been browsing this site to see what others have to say and what they are doing. I probably have not mastered navigating the site yet but have enjoyed what I have found so far. So if I post anything inappropriately, please be quick and swift to set me straight. I am located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I have a web site at http://wdcgraphic.com and post most of my fun and very casual stuff on Picasa at http://picasaweb.google.com/BillCurtindale
Hi William ... welcome to the Sony club here on Get DPI ... the folks here are really helpful.

We are neighbors ... I live in Franklin, Michigan about 40 minutes from Ann Arbor. In fact I have two wedding shoots near you this summer. Private Message me if you want to get together sometime and compare notes on the A900.

W

William Curtindale

A900 focus modes (Wide, Spot, Local)). For much of my shooting I was using the Wide focus mode but found I wanted to switch to Spot for accuracy and selectively focusing on a specific area of the subject. I was using the menu to switch between Wide and Spot (waste of time and missed shoots).

I found I can leave the focus mode set to the Wide mode and by pressing the center control with my thumb I can switch to Spot and still use my index finger to press the shutter at the same time. When releasing my thumb from the center control the focus reverts back to Wide (I get the best of both focus modes).

I will be doing some work tomorrow where the Wide focus will be my default setting but I will use the above technique when requiring an accurate Spot mode. I think this technique will result in capturing those quick / spontaneous selectively focused shots that just don't work in Wide focus mode. Hope this is helpful to others. If you haven't already done it, just set to Wide focus mode and press the center control and watch the rear LCD and you will see it switch to Spot focus mode (this neat and convenient and saves time).