The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony & Zeiss partnership

douglasf13

We can't forget that the ZA 85 and 135 were released very soon after the A100, so we've really only had two more Zeiss lenses in the three years after that. Lens designs take time, and I wouldn't look to the compact market as any indicator. Sony has always used a combination of Zeiss and Sony lenses in their compacts, and the difference now is that they're calling their Sony lenses "G" in the compacts. Plus, two new compacts were just introduced, and one of them does have a Zeiss lens.

edwardkaraa

Plus, two new compacts were just introduced, and one of them does have a Zeiss lens.
Well not exactly. The W series is Sony's most advanced compact line, and normally it had Zeiss lenses, now not anymore. On the T series, it is a different story because the AF and lens mechanism, involving a mirror and what not, were originally designed by Zeiss and I don't think Sony has the option to use a G lens here.

douglasf13

That makes sense, Edward. Regardless, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the compact line in regards to Zeiss and DSLRs, as they are entirely separate divisions, and I'm sure that Sony is privy to the fact that the ZAs are a major, if not THE, reason for people moving into their fullframe system. Maybe I'm being too optimistic! :LOL:

While we're speculating, I'm wondering if Sony has been delayed on the ZA primes because of the SSM vs. screwdrive debate?? I personally like the screw drive for primes, and adding SSM can totally change the optical design of a lens, but I'm wondering if all of the complaints about the ZA screwdrive have forced Sony/Zeiss to go back to the drawing board for upcoming primes. I hope not. :thumbdown:

edwardkaraa

While we're speculating, I'm wondering if Sony has been delayed on the ZA primes because of the SSM vs. screwdrive debate?? I personally like the screw drive for primes, and adding SSM can totally change the optical design of a lens, but I'm wondering if all of the complaints about the ZA screwdrive have forced Sony/Zeiss to go back to the drawing board for upcoming primes. I hope not. :thumbdown:
+1

Screwdriven lenses seem to have long focusing throws similar to manual focus ones. SSM requires very short focusing throw to work, even though the ZA zooms are not too bad compared to what I have previously used from Canon. I join my voice to yours :salute: