The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

seeking comments on contax 35-135

docmaas

This lens seems pretty famous. I had its cousin 28-135 minolta but found the ca distracting and sold it. I say cousin because if you look at photodo numbers they are very similar.

Anyway for those who have had this lens is it really as good as all the comments on it I've read on the web? How much more unwieldy is it than the 28-85 and is the image quality noticably better than the 28-85?

Asking here because I think a few of you may have had or used this lens.

thanks,

MIke

douglasf13

Hi Mike,

I have never used it personally but there is a good review on http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Contax_35-135_Vario_Sonnar.html Also Marc mentioned in another thread here that he used to have it, so I'm sure he will shime in.
Now that we have someone doing mount conversions for Leica R, all we need now is someone doing the conversions for C/Y Zeiss, and things will be looking good for the Sony system and alt lenses....which I guess will make me feel better since I can't spend the money on the 135ZA yet. I'm getting married in a month, and money is just flying out the window! :D

docmaas

Who's doing leica conversions? I did one for the telyt but it is a 1 cam no rom lens. More cams and roms will make it more difficult though I'm pretty sure it can be done. I was looking at the 80-200 f4 mfd by kyocera but the rom contacts descend down into the lens body on the 35-70 they make and I suspect they do on the 80-200 as well. On Leica mfd lenses the rom chip seems to be right below the rom contacts on the inside of the flange which makes things considerably easier.

I have a contax conversion that works and it is a doable conversion method for the lenses like the 35-70, 21mm distagon, 28-85 and 35-135 where the contax bayonet blades are mounted to the flange via three screws. I think a different approach will be necessary for those lenses like the 180mm sonnar where the blades are an integral part of the flange. Since the aperture adjusting device is at the rear of the lens and integral to the flange a simple flange exchange is not likely to work. There is only 2mm to work with for infinity focus IIRC.

Mike

Now that we have someone doing mount conversions for Leica R, all we need now is someone doing the conversions for C/Y Zeiss, and things will be looking good for the Sony system and alt lenses....which I guess will make me feel better since I can't spend the money on the 135ZA yet. I'm getting married in a month, and money is just flying out the window! :D

fotografz

Mike, I've had that lens three times during my years at this. Used it on my Contax RX and AX ... dropped one on the cement (bye-bye), eventually got another one. Sold it when I opted out of the Contax line due to needing money for the greedy Canon digital costs. Eventually picked up another one for use on the Canon 1Ds cameras because I hated the 24-70L.

Two things constantly attracted me back to the 35-135 ... the very useful general zoom range for my applications ... and the macro ability. IQ is pretty good for such a wide zoom range ... but isn't some spectacular performer that would warrant all the inconvenience of an adapted lens IMHO. That was the eventual conclusion I came to with it mounted to the Canons, and I just sold it. The lens is a bear to use hand-held on an adapter.

edwardkaraa

Douglas! Buy the 135 now before it's too late! Now money is still flying out the window so you can use some to buy the lens, but once married.... hurry up :D Congratulations by the way! Please don't forget to post some photos :)

douglasf13

Mike, I posted a thread over on the leice forum with a link to the guy doing the leica conversion

Edward, thanks. I'm going to Kauai in May for the wedding, so hopefully I bring back some ok pics.