The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 shooters having fun while D3x users are not

Arne Hvaring

Canon L kills Nikon for Primes from 35mm on up ... except for maybe the 100 VR Macro (but only because of the VR). Canon 35/1.4L, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2-IIL, 135/2L ... all top performing workhorse focal lengths with no real counterpart from Nikon, not one.
I think you should add the 24mmL II to the list. I have used that lens for some weeks and it is outstanding, at least on level with my 35L. And it has the new nano coating ;)

fotografz

I think you should add the 24mmL II to the list. I have used that lens for some weeks and it is outstanding, at least on level with my 35L. And it has the new nano coating ;)
I didn't add that one because I've not used it ... the old 24/1.4L wasn't as good as the 35/1.4 ... but maybe, as you say, this one is.

Have to admit that the Nikon Zooms kill their Canon counterparts up to 70mm.

But this is a Sony thread ... so ... come on Zeiss ... an AZ 28/2 would be heaven. :)

carstenw

Honestly, they should just allow ZA versions of all the ZF lenses. That alone would tip the balance.

douglasf13

Honestly, they should just allow ZA versions of all the ZF lenses. That alone would tip the balance.
No kidding, that would be awesome. Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen, because I don't think Sony will want a manual Zeiss range to compete with their own. The upside may be that the ZA lenses are newer designs. At least there are a few ZS lenses that can be used on Sony.

carstenw

I don't see the competition as being too serious. Few will want manual focus lenses, so it would simply boost their stature in the pro/advanced amateur circles.

douglasf13

I hear you, but I don't believe that any of the ZF/ZK/ZE lenses are authorized by their respective camera companies, and it would be odd if Zeiss circumvented approval from Sony to develop such a line while still being under contract with them for the ZA line.

douglasf13

I should add that I hope that I'm wrong and Zeiss does bring those ZF lenses to Sony :) In the meantime, there was a Zeiss prime that Sony was showing as a prototype up until last fall, and I'm hoping its still in the works. ZA 24mm 1.4 maybe??

Here is another, prime that they were showing as well that may or may not be Zeiss:

The 70-300G, 70-400G, 24-70ZA, and 16-35ZA were also included in these lens displays, and they are obviously a reality now. The two lenses above (and a few things at the long end) are all that are left from the original display, so maybe they're coming soon? fingers crossed...

Last edited:
G

GaryMulcahey

From what I'm seeing and hearing it looks like Sony has a real winner in the A900, every owner seems to be genuinely satisfied with the camera and the system lenses.
I'm not totally satisfied. Actually I'm hugely disappointed with a couple of things. I've used this camera quit a bit over the last few months. I've shot some personal work for an exhibit, an annual report and a series of work for corporate ads and print material. Image quality is just fine. I have nothing to complain about. The camera can be a huge pain in the butt to use at times. The focus points are all too close to the centre and that flash mount is beyond stupid. The whole world has a standard for the hot shoe but Sony has to throw their own design at us so that we all have to use an adapter for everything that anyone else makes. No excuse will satisfy me. This is a pro grade DSLR, it should act like.
The Zeiss 135 I purchased now has a loose front ring. Come on! This is a Zei$$ lens. This should not fall apart in a few month of work. Love the quality of the glass, disappointed with build.

G

edwardkaraa

I hear you, but I don't believe that any of the ZF/ZK/ZE lenses are authorized by their respective camera companies, and it would be odd if Zeiss circumvented approval from Sony to develop such a line while still being under contract with them for the ZA line.
Ok, Douglas. I asked Zeiss directly sometime ago:

Q: Any plans to offer Zeiss manual focus lenses for Sony Alpha mount?
A: At the moment, we will concentrate with the manual focus lenses for ZF/ZE/ZK and ZS mount.

Q: Are there any more ZA lenses coming in the future?
A: All lenses for the Sony Alpha system, including the Carl Zeiss ZA lenses, are manufactured and distributed by our partner Sony. Please contact Sony directly regarding requests for future products.

edwardkaraa

It can only be Zeiss, the finish and focusing ring are typical.

Also from the flatness of the front element and the compact shape, we can deduce it is a short telephoto lens. Since they offer already an 85 and a 135, this could only be a......... 100 Makro-Planar :thumbs::clap:

Here is another, prime that they were showing as well that may or may not be Zeiss:

carstenw

It is too long to be a 50/1.4, so that is a joke for sure, but the Zeiss 35/2 is about this size and shape, isn't it?

Terry

I went to meet John Milich today at Calumet in NYC to pick up the 14-24 (Nikon) lens I bought from him. Was then going to head to Sony Style store in NY since B&H is closed. Well turns out the Sony rep was spending the day at Calumet.

I pick up the A900 and what lens is attached????? of course you know what's coming. It was the 135 f1.8 It took a couple of seconds for me to be in lust and about a minute later it was love (even if it is a BIG hunk of glass).

Some questions for the users. How much do you use the preview function (where it takes the shot and you can adjust your settings and see the impact). Seemed very cool and pretty useful.

Can the 135 be used with a teleconverter? Anyone tried it? Does the image quality suffer a lot.

Anyone shoot in the APS-c size with a full frame lens? Any metering reason to ever do this? What does shooting in the 6mp mode do?

I know most people are using the 70-300. Anyone tried the 70-400?

Kit suggestions....let's start with an Iceland kit where I need wide and long and midrange is not so important.

By the way other things I loved about the camera...
The buttons/dials seemed easier for my hand to access than the Nikon buttons.
The menus are WAY less confusing
It felt pretty light with a small 50 prime
The viewfinder is huge
The lenses go on and off in the "correct" direction

Thanks,
terry

Last edited:

Terry

Thanks Bill,

I will be at B&H tomorrow and will check out the two lenses 70-300 and 70-400. Arrggh why am I doing this to myself I said I was happy with my current gear in that thread.