The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 50/1.4 lens hood

edwardkaraa

Got this lens today because it's too cheap not to have. The hood doesn't seem to click when fully rotated, even though I put quite a lot of pressure. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Edward

BackToSlr

Got this lens today because it's too cheap not to have. The hood doesn't seem to click when fully rotated, even though I put quite a lot of pressure. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Edward
Mine doesnt click either, it is one of the stranger hoods. Am always tempted to leave it behind.

N

edwardkaraa

Thanks. I guess the hood is normal then. I almost broke the focusing mechanism trying to make it click :ROTFL:

gsking

Yep, no clicks...and a nasty propensity to drag on my hand. I agree...rarely used. But then this is rarely my go-to outdoor lens.

Greg

edwardkaraa

Yep, no clicks...and a nasty propensity to drag on my hand. I agree...rarely used. But then this is rarely my go-to outdoor lens.

Greg
I bought this lens for low light shooting or when I just need a lightweight combo for snapshots. For serious jobs, I would use the 24-70. I didn't test the 50 yet, but according to reviews, it has a superlative center sharpness but the borders never really follow, even when stopped down. It also has some issues with coma and CA.

gsking

I bought this lens for low light shooting or when I just need a lightweight combo for snapshots. For serious jobs, I would use the 24-70. I didn't test the 50 yet, but according to reviews, it has a superlative center sharpness but the borders never really follow, even when stopped down. It also has some issues with coma and CA.
Yep, on APS it really looks like the 85mm, since the edges are cropped out. But put it on the 900, and the area of frame you've added is reportedly not too sharp.

Greg

edwardkaraa

I am starting to wonder what kind of morons are doing the reviews. I tested the lens this afternoon, and found that it suffers from severe field curvature, which produces soft borders on flat objects. However, I could obtain sharp corners even at f/1.4 by taking a photo at an angle . The round shape of the curvature actually helped me as it is predictable. I also did the same shot with the Zeiss 24-70, and it produced different results as the curvature is corrected down to 2/3 of the frame. So it behaved more normally, producing OOF blur where it is expected to be, except in the extreme corners where actually it was sharper than the 50 since the curvature of the Zeiss is stronger there.

Yep, on APS it really looks like the 85mm, since the edges are cropped out. But put it on the 900, and the area of frame you've added is reportedly not too sharp.

Greg

edwardkaraa

50mm 1s f/2.8 (both photos on tripod with MLU)

First Sony then Zeiss. Center AF point was used, which coincides with the right most wall plug. You can see that Zeiss is at its sharpest in the center area as expected while Sony also sharpest in the center extends the sharpness all the way to the left side, while the right side is much more OOF than the Zeiss.

Btw you can notice that the wall plug on the extreme left border is almost as sharp as the center, amazing curvature from the Sony :D

View attachment 15989

View attachment 15990

Last edited: