The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What the young do with an A300

jonoslack

I see that I've been sitting on some kind of a fence here.
I think it's great that so much effort has been put into something, and at the very lowest level that's lots of 'value'
I guess lots was learned in the making, and perhaps we've all learned a little in the talking about.

Hooray!

and thank you Marc for your interesting post . . .

P

photographix

Reading the OP it would appear that this is a talented student that has been nominated for an award in regard of his work in the field of Graphic Design but that this video has nothing to do with that.

The video is clearly the result of an entirely different photographic brief of which we have no idea what the aims and criteria were. It may not have even specified a stop frame photomatic as the final product.

To be nominated for such an award in graphic design by judges that comprised of major global advertising and media consultants rather than academics indicates a final year University student. It would be unusual for any Graphic Design course at a British University to feature a photographic module as a final project so it is also clear that the graphic design student was invited to the final module of a photographic course overseen by an established photographer.

As a graphic designer it must be assumed that his photographic knowledge and expertise is basic and limited being only a secondary discipline that supported and supplemented his graphic design work. Also, that his invitation was at the last minute and only when he had satisfied all of his graphic design requirements so that no risk was involved from an academic perspective from venturing into new creativity at such a late point in time.

A brave effort that not many would have had the courage to undertake.

Looking at the video it must have seemed many times that the camera was about to explode as he pushed it to the limit.

However, a valid analogy to this thread would be to ask those that are only photographers to now step before the pottery wheel and present their first attempt at a pot to us for judgement of them as photographers whilst we pretended it was for an award rather than any of their photographs.

A brave effort I thought for someone daring to step outside the box.