The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New A900

douglasf13

Doug not having the A900 i am looking at these setting to match up to the LCD and what scale is this like 1-5 or 1-10 . Reason I ask is when I see numbers like -3 for contrast and minus - 3 for brightness makes me wonder. Seems a little drastic especially contrast and brightness. Seems that is just knocking it down quite a bit and when I looked at this Cam it seemed pretty good the LCD except I did not process the files or look at the raws. Just curious

- turn off DRO completely
- AdobeRGB
- neutral CS
- contrast -3 (i use -1 ZONE instead, but that's not necessary for now)
- saturation -1
- brightness -3
- custom WB (uniWB)

I am assuming this also relates to LR viewing of the Raw does this change when using another RC program. I know for instance my Phase files in LR are about 1.5 stops darker than C1 so I guess the second part to the question does this change with different RC as well or hold with others.

Sure, no problemo, Guy. The Sony jpeg settings range from -3 to +3, so essentially seven levels. The settings I listed above give a general (albeit not perfect) representation of what the RAW histogram looks like, regardless of converters used. This leads to the image on the camera LCD being rather flat and dull, but more accurate. The LR settings that I gave are to match these camera settings, rather than the other way around. Many converters, including LR, give a far from accurate portrayal of one's RAW data with their standard import settings, because, generally, the converter is trying to match your standard jpeg camera histogram, or something similar. The problem of this is that it tends to lead many of us to underexposure, because we're not taking full advantage of the headroom that RAW provides. With C1 Pro, setting everything to zero and changing the import curve to the "linear" setting works. With RT, just setting the import settings to "neutral" works. If anything, using these techniques is the most important with LR, because it has more of a difficult time with the A900 compared to other converters, and can cause a bit more of a mess if you're underexposed.

The fall may be a good time for me to come to a workshop. Keep me posted. :grin:

Terry

Terry seems to be very quiet , the Sony must have been delivered.
:ROTFL::ROTFL:Not when you wrote this....I was trying to do some work at the office so I could actually afford it.

HOWEVER, I did just leave the office early and parked outside my building when I arrived home was the UPS truck. Battery is in the charger.

Eoin

Count yourself lucky I live too far away :bugeyes:
Sure 'tis only a plane journey away. Autumn is a wonderful time, all those lovely colours. I think you really deserve a change of scenery :D Just think of all those American scarecrows :ROTFL:

jonoslack

Sure 'tis only a plane journey away. Autumn is a wonderful time, all those lovely colours. I think you really deserve a change of scenery :D Just think of all those American scarecrows :ROTFL:
Hi Eoin . . . are you going? Anyway, I'd cause chaos, I'd disagree with Jack about converters, drink too much, refuse to use a tripod and piss people off with terrible jokes.

Really, they don't need me :ROTFL:

Eoin

No I'm broke doing my bit spending more money on things I don't really need, but feel I have to have....to help out the world economy. Anyway they really don't like smokers over there :lecture:.

Tripod? what's that used for?. Had one of those fancy CF ones with a fancy BH o

Last edited:

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Anyway, I'd cause chaos, I'd disagree with Jack about converters, drink too much, refuse to use a tripod and piss people off with terrible jokes.
That's just about what everyone does on the workshops - you would hardly be noticed!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Eoin . . . are you going? Anyway, I'd cause chaos, I'd disagree with Jack about converters, drink too much, refuse to use a tripod and piss people off with terrible jokes.

Really, they don't need me :ROTFL:
Which reminds me last night at dusk my son Jack and I where watching not one, not two, not three but FOUR owls from our backyard. I am not joking here this one owl has been around since we owned this house 12 years and his wing span. No exaggerating is at least 6ft or more. It was like looking at a garbage can size bird in a tree. he is just flat out huge.To dark to actually shoot and about 200 yards away. Jack shot this with my G10 at full zoom and this still is a crop but look at this shot of them. There was one out of view. So yea we need you to come visit and hopefully see the wild west or at least act like your in the wild west. LOL

Guy Mancuso

No I'm broke doing my bit spending more money on things I don't really need, but feel I have to have....to help out the world economy. Anyway they really don't like smokers over there :lecture:.

Tripod? what's that used for?. Had one of those fancy CF ones with a fancy BH o
Not I still smoke:angel:

Guy Mancuso

Sure, no problemo, Guy. The Sony jpeg settings range from -3 to +3, so essentially seven levels. The settings I listed above give a general (albeit not perfect) representation of what the RAW histogram looks like, regardless of converters used. This leads to the image on the camera LCD being rather flat and dull, but more accurate. The LR settings that I gave are to match these camera settings, rather than the other way around. Many converters, including LR, give a far from accurate portrayal of one's RAW data with their standard import settings, because, generally, the converter is trying to match your standard jpeg camera histogram, or something similar. The problem of this is that it tends to lead many of us to underexposure, because we're not taking full advantage of the headroom that RAW provides. With C1 Pro, setting everything to zero and changing the import curve to the "linear" setting works. With RT, just setting the import settings to "neutral" works. If anything, using these techniques is the most important with LR, because it has more of a difficult time with the A900 compared to other converters, and can cause a bit more of a mess if you're underexposed.

The fall may be a good time for me to come to a workshop. Keep me posted. :grin:
Thanks Doug that sounded better to me 7 clicks of adjustments to it

Guy Mancuso

Yea seriously they are so big it's scary. I maybe small enough they would think I am dinner. We have no cats or small dogs in my neighborhood, I wonder why.

douglasf13

I was literally making a joke to some friends 20 minutes ago about owls taking off with their new little doggie. Weird. :bugeyes::bugeyes:

Terry

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: I waited and waited for the battery charge. Just when I got the green light it got incredibly windy and the fog started its late afternoon onslaught. I managed to get one of my standard bridge shots and barely one flower before heading inside to my one blooming orchid. Don't worry, I promise I won't bore the forum with silliness :p. Oh yeah, what was the first lens on the camera?

View attachment 16585

View attachment 16586

View attachment 16587

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Terry - those are very nice, so the A900 was a good move.
How do you like the feel of it compared to the Nikon?

Terry

Terry - those are very nice, so the A900 was a good move.
How do you like the feel of it compared to the Nikon?
I like the feel of the camera a lot. I still need to do a lot of playing with it but it will be an easier learning process as it is simpler than the Nikon.

I still have the D700 and plan to shoot them side by side over the long weekend. I have the 24-70 lens for each so, it will be really interesting.

Now, I just need to figure out which direction to head in each day. Probably will start at the ferry market in the AM before heading to the coast.

Diane B

Have a great time with the new camera. I bet the first lens on was the 135. Looking forward to what you do over the weekend.

Diane